My Brother is a Cop and It's Getting Bad

We were supposed to have dinner at my brother's house yesterday, but he called me up when he got home from his shift and cancelled. He wanted to just chill after the shift he worked yesterday. He patrols a higher crime neighborhood, which is mostly blacks, and he said the past couple of weeks have gotten really bad. People aren't respectful at all. They're rude and belligerent towards him. He's been called names, taunted, it's been constant chaos. He stopped a car yesterday because the guy came up with a warrant in the system. Immediately, when he had the guy step out of his car he started screaming something about George Floyd and then became nasty and resistant. My brother and his partner, who arrived shortly after, had to tackle the guy to the ground in order to get him restrained. While this was going on he said a dozen or so blacks came running up on them, whipping out their phones recording, calling them names, taunting them. He said it was super nerve racking because in the middle of the skirmish he had no idea if any of these other people, who had no business being up that close to them, were going to run up and attack them from behind. He said it was like being in the middle of a zoo. He is starting to consider leaving the department at this point because it's become incredibly dangerous for them.

And my brother is Asian and the officer who responded to back him up is Hispanic, so this wasn't even a white cop thing; it's just an anyone in uniform thing. We're told we should be judging people by their character and not their skin color, but apparently these same people think it's fine to judge anyone in a uniform as evil.
All the good ones should get out when they can. I know that's easier said than done as changing careers or early retirement have fiscal consequences.

Yes, but the police as a whole ARE evil.
Just look at history.
It goes back to slavery, illegal Jim Crow laws, illegal laws like Prohibition, the War on Drugs, asset forfeiture, 2 strikes laws, illegal discrimination against felons, etc.
Police are not always wrong, but they are wrong often enough so that they are more of a problem than they are worth.
They mistakenly think they have additional authority that everyone else does not have, and that is not only illegal, but dangerous.

Who passed those laws?

Forum List

Back