My Brother is a Cop and It's Getting Bad

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
We were supposed to have dinner at my brother's house yesterday, but he called me up when he got home from his shift and cancelled. He wanted to just chill after the shift he worked yesterday. He patrols a higher crime neighborhood, which is mostly blacks, and he said the past couple of weeks have gotten really bad. People aren't respectful at all. They're rude and belligerent towards him. He's been called names, taunted, it's been constant chaos. He stopped a car yesterday because the guy came up with a warrant in the system. Immediately, when he had the guy step out of his car he started screaming something about George Floyd and then became nasty and resistant. My brother and his partner, who arrived shortly after, had to tackle the guy to the ground in order to get him restrained. While this was going on he said a dozen or so blacks came running up on them, whipping out their phones recording, calling them names, taunting them. He said it was super nerve racking because in the middle of the skirmish he had no idea if any of these other people, who had no business being up that close to them, were going to run up and attack them from behind. He said it was like being in the middle of a zoo. He is starting to consider leaving the department at this point because it's become incredibly dangerous for them.

And my brother is Asian and the officer who responded to back him up is Hispanic, so this wasn't even a white cop thing; it's just an anyone in uniform thing. We're told we should be judging people by their character and not their skin color, but apparently these same people think it's fine to judge anyone in a uniform as evil.

We were supposed to have dinner at my brother's house yesterday, but he called me up when he got home from his shift and cancelled. He wanted to just chill after the shift he worked yesterday. He patrols a higher crime neighborhood, which is mostly blacks, and he said the past couple of weeks have gotten really bad. People aren't respectful at all. They're rude and belligerent towards him. He's been called names, taunted, it's been constant chaos. He stopped a car yesterday because the guy came up with a warrant in the system. Immediately, when he had the guy step out of his car he started screaming something about George Floyd and then became nasty and resistant. My brother and his partner, who arrived shortly after, had to tackle the guy to the ground in order to get him restrained. While this was going on he said a dozen or so blacks came running up on them, whipping out their phones recording, calling them names, taunting them. He said it was super nerve racking because in the middle of the skirmish he had no idea if any of these other people, who had no business being up that close to them, were going to run up and attack them from behind. He said it was like being in the middle of a zoo. He is starting to consider leaving the department at this point because it's become incredibly dangerous for them.

And my brother is Asian and the officer who responded to back him up is Hispanic, so this wasn't even a white cop thing; it's just an anyone in uniform thing. We're told we should be judging people by their character and not their skin color, but apparently these same people think it's fine to judge anyone in a uniform as evil.

He patrols the Westside?

He stopped a car yesterday because the guy came up with a warrant in the system. Immediately, when he had the guy step out of his car he started screaming something
You'd be angry too if you got stopped about twenty times in a row because a felony warrant came up in the system and turned out to be bogus. The cops have got to reform their "system". It's a Democrat political machine enforced as fiat, street justice railroaded through the greased wheels of a rubber-stamp guilty-as-charged maximum-punishment court system.

He stopped a car yesterday because the guy came up with a warrant in the system. Immediately, when he had the guy step out of his car he started screaming something
You'd be angry too if you got stopped about twenty times in a row because a felony warrant came up in the system and turned out to be bogus. The cops have got to reform their "system". It's a Democrat political machine enforced as fiat, street justice railroaded through the greased wheels of a rubber-stamp guilty-as-charged maximum-punishment court system.
He didn't say anything about it being a bogus stop.

Don't know how much time your brother has left to reach retirement, but might be wise start looking for a job in private security. Or something else. There are cops getting shot or stabbed and it's getting pretty dangerous out there. There was a story about 3 cops in NYC getting poisoned, don't know if it's true or not but geez. I suspect there are a lot more people that are grateful for his service, I know I am and I hope those of us who feel that way outnumber the ones who don't.

Why would he run the plates? Did the guy do something wrong? How did he know who was in the car?

When you assume, you only make an ass out of you and you.

Why would he run the plates? Did the guy do something wrong? How did he know who was in the car?

Plates get run as a normal course standard to check for stolen vehicles, dummy.

I hear you and we hope your brother stays safe out there. A thirty-six year friend of mine who's also been a Baltimore cop since 1999 has been having a hell of time lately as well. He's a plain clothes detective and Irish blonde as one can be. My small security company does consulting work with the police, part of which involves frequent ride-alongs. It's been eye opening to say the least. I can also confirm race of the individual officer doesn't make a whole lot of difference. As you mentioned, it's the uniform people see first.

Don't know how much time your brother has left to reach retirement, but might be wise start looking for a job in private security. Or something else. There are cops getting shot or stabbed and it's getting pretty dangerous out there. There was a story about 3 cops in NYC getting poisoned, don't know if it's true or not but geez. I suspect there are a lot more people that are grateful for his service, I know I am and I hope those of us who feel that way outnumber the ones who don't.
Yeah I agree, I have a cautious attitude toward police because I don't really trust them from past experiences. My past experiences weren't horrible they just could have been a lot better. However, our society without police would be one huge cluster fuck. For example, what do you do if someone rams your car and they just drive off? Someone breaks into your house when you aren't there, or if you are there, what do you do with the body?

If there are no active calls they'll run plates at random. Sometimes they'll do it if the driver is driving suspiciously.

Plates get run as a normal course standard to check for stolen vehicles, dummy.

Was there a report of such a car being stolen? If not they have no reason to run the plates and again, it does NOT prove the person in the car is wanted.

Bad time to be a cop

They have lost the trust and goodwill of the public. Much of it is undeserved but the public has reached an “enough is enough” point.

It will take a while to patch things up.

Thank your brother for his service

Bad time to be a cop

They have lost the trust and goodwill of the public. Much of it is undeserved but the public has reached an “enough is enough” point.

It will take a while to patch things up.

Many will take crap because of the actions of others. The solution is easy. Address these others.

Forum List

Back