Murder rates soar in cities after BLM protests with up to 6,000 extra deaths nationwide — massively outweighing the decline in police shootings

Another reason for more murders nationwide could be the 40% increase in gun sales in 2020.

Causation? Correlation? My guess is as good as yours.

I think there's something wrong with that logic. A guy doesn't all of a sudden want to murder somebody after he buys a gun, he wanted to kill somebody(s) and purchased the means to do it. The cause isn't more guns on the street, it's more guys who want to murder somebody(s). Correlation matters not at all, suppose instead there had been a 0% rise in gun sales in 2020, the guys who didn't buy a gun are NOT the guys who were motivated to blow somebody(s) away, those guys would have armed themselves anyway, and we would've had the same rise in murders.

I would venture to say that most of the additional gun sales were law-abiding citizens who felt like they needed more self protection, or they just like to play with guns at the range or out hunting or whatever. They ain't the problem when it comes shooting somebody. I think the rise in murders and the rise in gun sales is coincidence, the murders would have happened anyway regardless on whatever the gun sales numbers were.

You can read a lot of things into statistics, can't you?

Another reason for more murders nationwide could be the 40% increase in gun sales in 2020.

This coming from the old lady who was surprised that alcohol was flamable.
I thought of you yesterday when I read the hand sanitizer label and it said CONTENTS FLAMMABLE
LOL

I think there's something wrong with that logic. A guy doesn't all of a sudden want to murder somebody after he buys a gun, he wanted to kill somebody(s) and purchased the means to do it. The cause isn't more guns on the street, it's more guys who want to murder somebody(s). Correlation matters not at all, suppose instead there had been a 0% rise in gun sales in 2020, the guys who didn't buy a gun are NOT the guys who were motivated to blow somebody(s) away, those guys would have armed themselves anyway, and we would've had the same rise in murders.

I would venture to say that most of the additional gun sales were law-abiding citizens who felt like they needed more self protection, or they just like to play with guns at the range or out hunting or whatever. They ain't the problem when it comes shooting somebody. I think the rise in murders and the rise in gun sales is coincidence, the murders would have happened anyway regardless on whatever the gun sales numbers were.
Could be. You have a point, but the OP doesn't.

Forum List

Back