Mother with sick child left waiting more than 8 hours at Toronto hospital

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
This is a standard story, some of you desire this system. Healthcare is "free" here, you are free to die.

As long as we keep funding the massive, bloated police rackets, Canadians will continue to die via Hallway Healthcare or otherwise.

A Toronto mother is speaking out after she says she waited in a local hospital’s emergency room for more than eight hours with her sick child before travelling home without care.

“Our systems are so fragile and you don’t actually realize that until you need them,” Jessica Vorstermans told CTV News Toronto over the phone Monday.

Vorstermans said her three-year-old daughter began vomiting so frequently Friday evening that she began to choke.

She called 911 and arrived at Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children later that night and was triaged by 11 p.m.

The mother said she waited to be seen by a doctor for more than eight hours as her daughter continued to vomit every 20 minutes.

By 7 a.m., Vorstermans said they had still not seen a doctor and she decided to take her daughter home.

“I couldn’t do it anymore… I was exhausted. She was exhausted,” Vorstermans said. She added that if her daughter’s situation had worsened, she planned to take her to an urgent care clinic which was set to open later that morning.

Vorstermans said she doesn’t believe health-care workers are to blame for the poor experience, but that the incident itself is emblematic of the state of health care in Ontario.

This is a standard story, some of you desire this system. Healthcare is "free" here, you are free to die.

As long as we keep funding the massive, bloated police rackets, Canadians will continue to die via Hallway Healthcare or otherwise.

A Toronto mother is speaking out after she says she waited in a local hospital’s emergency room for more than eight hours with her sick child before travelling home without care.

“Our systems are so fragile and you don’t actually realize that until you need them,” Jessica Vorstermans told CTV News Toronto over the phone Monday.

Vorstermans said her three-year-old daughter began vomiting so frequently Friday evening that she began to choke.

She called 911 and arrived at Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children later that night and was triaged by 11 p.m.

The mother said she waited to be seen by a doctor for more than eight hours as her daughter continued to vomit every 20 minutes.

By 7 a.m., Vorstermans said they had still not seen a doctor and she decided to take her daughter home.

“I couldn’t do it anymore… I was exhausted. She was exhausted,” Vorstermans said. She added that if her daughter’s situation had worsened, she planned to take her to an urgent care clinic which was set to open later that morning.

Vorstermans said she doesn’t believe health-care workers are to blame for the poor experience, but that the incident itself is emblematic of the state of health care in Ontario.
Interesting how the mother blames low pay for public employees as the problem

Interesting how the mother blames low pay for public employees as the problem

True, there might be a conflict of interest here (family member going to become a nurse or doctor?).

Still doesn't take away from the reality, believe me it is VERY common.

True, there might be a conflict of interest here (family member going to become a nurse or doctor?).

Still doesn't take away from the reality, believe me it is VERY common.
They should just strip healthcare from 10's of millions of people and bankrupt those who have healthcare anyways like they do here. That mom wouldn't have complained about waiting for so long if she was too afraid to go there in the first place out of fear of being impoverished. That'll shorten the lines.

She should have called an ambulance.
That's how you bypass others in the emergency room here in the States.

LOL has nothing to do with free or socialized. That crap happens here in the US too. Just depends on how many people are coming through the doors, how staffed they are, and where you fall in the triage line. Some people think they can skip to the front of the line by coming in by ambulance. All that does is get you parked on a stretcher in the hallway once you are triaged if there is someone more urgent ahead of you either already in a room or in the waiting area.

Forum List

Back