Most Important 1st Amendment Case You’ve Never Heard Of: Biden Regime Tries to Toss Young Man in Jail for 10 Years for Anti-Hillary Memes

No, only those people who don't believe in the rule of law would object to that conviction. The Trump Cult proves over and over again that they think the laws don't apply to them.
Said ^ the foreign troll lizardbitch who doesn’t have the first clue about our First Amendment guarantee of freedom of speech — especially as it pertains to political speech.

Hey, Lizardbitch, gfy. :fu:

Unless I'm missing something here -- and I read the DOJ indictment -- he tried to trick people into 'voting' by sending texts or emails. It wasn't a joke ... he went to great lengths to make what he wrote appear authentic.

"Mackey conspired with other influential Twitter users and with members of private online groups to use social media platforms, including Twitter, to disseminate fraudulent messages that encouraged supporters of presidential candidate Hillary Clinton to “vote” via text message or social media which, in reality, was legally invalid. For example, on November 1, 2016, in or around the same time that Mackey was sending tweets suggesting the importance of limiting “black turnout,” the defendant tweeted an image depicting an African American woman standing in front of an “African Americans for Hillary” sign. The ad stated: “Avoid the Line. Vote from Home,” “Text ‘Hillary’ to 59925,” and “Vote for Hillary and be a part of history.” The fine print at the bottom of the deceptive image stated: “Must be 18 or older to vote. One vote per person. Must be a legal citizen of the United States. Voting by text not available in Guam, Puerto Rico, Alaska or Hawaii. Paid for by Hillary For President 2016.” The tweet included the typed hashtag “#ImWithHer,” a slogan frequently used by Hillary Clinton. On or about and before Election Day 2016, at least 4,900 unique telephone numbers texted “Hillary” or some derivative to the 59925 text number, which had been used in multiple deceptive campaign images tweeted by Mackey and his co-conspirators."

[ Social Media Influencer Douglass Mackey Convicted of Election Interference in 2016 Presidential Race ]

The argument that they do bad things to us, so we can do anything we like to them, is a bad one.

In a shooting war, yes. Then, the laws are silent, as the old Roman said. But until we reach that stage, we must be the party of law and order, the party of the Rule of Law. This isn't being goody-goody -- it's part of what we must be and do to win over people who are now neither Left nor Right.

Here's an analogy: the Left, and most liberals, now oppose free speech. When a conservative tries to speak on campuses where they have a lot of people, they turn up at the meeting and violently close it down. The liberals here on US Message Board approve of this, so far as I can tell.

Should we do the same? There are some campuses where we're the majority. If a Young Democrats Club on one of these campuses invited a liberal speaker, should we close down the meeting by violence, like they do? (Again, in a shooting war, yes -- you suppress your enemy's civil liberties. But we're not there yet.)

The convicted man faces a maximum of ten years. He hasn't been sentenced yet. We'll see what he gets.

It's also untrue that the DOJ is used exclusively against conservatives. It's moving in that direction, but it's not there yet.

If it were already there, this would not have happened:

"Expelled former Democratic congressman Michael “Ozzie” Myers has been sentenced to 30 months in prison for federal election fraud dating back to 2014, the Justice Department said Tuesday, and was immediately taken into custody.
Myers, 79, pleaded guilty in June to conspiracy to deprive voters of civil rights, bribery, obstruction of justice, falsification of voting records, and conspiring to illegally vote in a federal election as part of scams to stuff ballot boxes for certain Democratic candidates in Pennsylvania elections between 2014 and 2018, the DOJ said in a news release."

[ https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/27/poli...rs-election-fraud-prison-sentenced/index.html ]

The DOJ still could not produce 1 'victim'.

While Soros-DAs are letting violent criminals / felons go, reducing felonies to misdemeanors, and / or not trying to prosecute them at all, 10 years seems harsh.

How about we strip election fraud criminals - ALL OF THEM - of their right to ever vote in an election (federal or state) again?!

If they ever try to then give them time in jail.

Beats prison at tax payer expense.

The DOJ still could not produce 1 'victim'.

While Soros-DAs are letting violent criminals / felons go, reducing felonies to misdemeanors, and / or not trying to prosecute them at all, 10 years seems harsh.

How about we strip election fraud criminals - ALL OF THEM - of their right to ever vote in an election (federal or state) again?!

If they ever try to then give them time in jail.

Beats prison at tax payer expense.
If what you are saying is, we should apply the law impartially, then I agree with you.

Duping people into thinking they have voted, when they haven't, should be a crime. Apparently this fellow duped 4,900 people into texting what they thought was their vote to a number he supplied. Sounds like a crime to me.

I'm all for vigorously pursuing any other election fraudsters, Democrat or Republican. As for your proposed penalty, so long as it's applied equally, I'm okay with it, although it seems a bit lenient. How about prison time plus permanent deprivation of the right to vote, which is what we should do for all convicted felons.

They could not prove ANYONE fell for the MEME.

Pure jury nulification. He was guilty before the trial started.

It is a legal disgrace.

It would be like someone being prosecuted for wearing a shirt that says:

Federal
Boobs
Inspector

Like, literallly. Its laughably absurd.
What would you accept as proof? And if they could prove it, by your criteria, would you then support the conviction?

If a Leftist had done something like that ... say, gone to a retirement home with fake absentee ballots, pretending to be a Trump supporter, and gotten people to 'vote' by filling in his fake ballots ... and then got caught ... wouldn't you want him to go to prison?

We're supposed to be the party that supports the Rule of Law. It's the other side who don't, as the current prosecution of Trump shows, and as they show every couple of weeks when their campus stormtroopers prevent us from having a peaceful public meeting.

So long as we're not in a hot civil war, we must support equal, impartial justice. It's to our advantage to do this, since a good third of the nation are neither Left nor Right, and most of them don't want to see us become a banana republic.

Nope...case is well know, not sure what you mean 'no-one has heard about it'.

From New York City, he moved to West Palm Beach, Florida. At the age of 31, he was arrested in West Palm Beach on January 27, 2021. He made his initial appearance before U.S. Magistrate Judge Bruce E. Reinhart of the Southern District of Florida. He was accused of anonymously conspiring with others to use Twitter and other social media to try to trick Hillary Clinton‘s supporters to vote via text instead of casting an actual ballot prior to the 2016 U.S. presidential election. One of his co-conspirators Anthime Joseph “Baked Alaska” Gionet was arrested on January 15, 2021 for his participation in the U.S. Capitol riot in Washington, D.C., USA on January 6, 2021.

The defendant is charged with telling people that they could vote on-line or via text--thus negating their votes and promulgating an invalid means of voting.

“Protecting every American citizen’s right to cast a legitimate vote is a key to the success of our republic,” said William F. Sweeney Jr., Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s New York Field Office. “What Mackey allegedly did to interfere with this process – by soliciting voters to cast their ballots via text – amounted to nothing short of vote theft. It is illegal behavior and contributes to the erosion of the public’s trust in our electoral processes. He may have been a powerful social media influencer at the time, but a quick Internet search of his name today will reveal an entirely different story.”

The complaint alleges that in 2016, Mackey established an audience on Twitter with approximately 58,000 followers. A February 2016 analysis by the MIT Media Lab ranked Mackey as the 107th most important influencer of the then-upcoming Election, ranking his account above outlets and individuals such as NBC News (#114), Stephen Colbert (#119) and Newt Gingrich (#141).

As alleged in the complaint, between September 2016 and November 2016, in the lead up to the Nov. 8, 2016, U.S. Presidential Election, Mackey conspired with others to use social media platforms, including Twitter, to disseminate fraudulent messages designed to encourage supporters of one of the presidential candidates (the “Candidate”) to “vote” via text message or social media, a legally invalid method of voting.

For example, on Nov. 1, 2016, Mackey allegedly tweeted an image that featured an African American woman standing in front of an “African Americans for [the Candidate]” sign. The image included the following text: “Avoid the Line. Vote from Home. Text ‘[Candidate’s first name]’ to 59925[.] Vote for [the Candidate] and be a part of history.” The fine print at the bottom of the image stated: “Must be 18 or older to vote. One vote per person. Must be a legal citizen of the United States. Voting by text not available in Guam, Puerto Rico, Alaska or Hawaii. Paid for by [Candidate] for President 2016.”

The tweet included the typed hashtags “#Go [Candidate]” and another slogan frequently used by the Candidate. On or about and before Election Day 2016, at least 4,900 unique telephone numbers texted “[Candidate’s first name]” or some derivative to the 59925 text number, which was used in multiple deceptive campaign images tweeted by the defendant and his co-conspirators.

And this is different from candidates lying to voters, HOW?????????????

And this is different from candidates lying to voters, HOW?????????????

Uh....one is just the usual political bloviation..that only fools believe..and the other was a trick designed to fool gullible people into thinking they had cast a legitimate vote by texting.
I'm surprised you can't figure this out on your own?

Uh....one is just the usual political bloviation..that only fools believe..and the other was a trick designed to fool gullible people into thinking they had cast a legitimate vote by texting.
I'm surprised you can't figure this out on your own?

Both are designed to effect for whom a vote is cast, only fools would believe you can cast a vote over the internet. The hildabitch and DNC spent 10 million on the complete fairy tale of the russia hoax. Why aren't they being charged for their fraud?

For any leftwingers reading this, here's why my side is reluctant to see the law applied to this fellow who engaged in a form of voting fraud: we don't see it being as vigorously applied to your side.

It sometimes is. I gave an example of a Democrat in Pennsylvania who's going to prison for two and a half years because he got caught.

But when we see Trump being prosecuted for something which, I would be willing to bet, hundreds of politicians have done -- a trivial thing -- then my side starts to lose a committment to the Rule of Law.

If the Rule of Law means that we have to follow the rules, while the Left doesn't ... then, since we're not completely stupid, we're not going to be inclined to fight with one hand tied behind our back.

The concept of the Rule of Law is absolutely central to a civilized society. It took a long time for the ruling elites of the West to begin to at least pay lip service to it. Partly because they were forced to by the people below them, and partly, I suppose, because they realized it was in their best long-term interests to be seen to be subject to the same laws everyone else was subject to. The ones who didn't learn this tended to end up with their heads in a basket of sawdust.

A famous (?) example: when the Scot, James I, succeeded to the throne of England in 1603, he made a royal procession down from Scotland to London. Somewhere along the way, a man was caught trying to steal something from one of the baggage wagons. James ordered him to be hung. But ... this was England. And someone had to say to him something like, "Errr... your majesty ... we don't do things that way here ... he must have a trial." (A pity his son, Charles I, didn't learn that lesson.)

The outstanding grievance of Black people in America -- I'm not saying how justified it is, or isn't -- is that they do not get the equal protection of the law, especially when dealing directly with the law's enforcers, the police.

Fifty years ago, no conservative would have argued that we should be able to engage in ballot fraud ... even though it was probably more commonly used by big-city Democrats than by Republicans. Everyone, then, believed, or pretended to believe, in the Rule of Law.

Things have changed in America. Too bad.

Forum List

Back