Most Confederate statues put up after WWI

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
The statue was erected in 1924 in the latter days of decades-long Lost Cause commemoration in the South. The Lost Cause celebrated the Confederacy in books, articles, at reunions, and in the erection of monuments to men such as Lee, Jackson, Davis, and Stuart. The Lost Cause reached its zenith in the 1890s and early 1900s. It coincided with, and in many ways supported, the establishment of a Jim Crow South. By the late 1920s, with Civil War veterans dying and new political issues emerging, the Lost Cause faded away. The feelings behind the Lost Cause, however, have never truly disappeared. And the political environment of today surrounding the Lee statue is similar to that of the 1920s.

(snip)

The 1920s saw the unprecedented national popularity of the Ku Klux Klan, which had its highest membership in that decade (Indiana had the largest number of Klansmen). Nativism and anti-immigrant feeling was in the political mainstream, while the Republican Party morphed from being the party of civil rights and economic protectionism (i.e., Lincoln) to the party of laissez faire big business (i.e., Coolidge). In the former Confederate states, it was the time of the Solid South: the Democratic Party and white supremacy ruled the day.

A Brief History of the Lee Statue in Charlottesville

read about blacks in WWI, and afterwards.

Trump said it should be up to locals to what statues they want, well the locals wanted Lee's statue down.

Maybe these statues should stay up, so when blacks can see them they can remember how whites treated them, and even give them more of a reason to be angry and upset over how they have been used and abused for over a century and had to fight so hard for civil rights. Seems you love the black football player and basketball players,

I wonder why most whites lay in the sun to get a suntan, I doubt its for their dose of Vit D.

Last edited:
Most people are proud of their heritage. Those whose family's are from the South (generations) should have the right to honor their heritage.

What matter is what people value NOW, not in the 1920's. I'm sure most people are totally unaware of this information. They simply are proud of where they come from.

As for suntans, well, skin color and pigment is a matter of preference....

The statue was erected in 1924 in the latter days of decades-long Lost Cause commemoration in the South. The Lost Cause celebrated the Confederacy in books, articles, at reunions, and in the erection of monuments to men such as Lee, Jackson, Davis, and Stuart. The Lost Cause reached its zenith in the 1890s and early 1900s. It coincided with, and in many ways supported, the establishment of a Jim Crow South. By the late 1920s, with Civil War veterans dying and new political issues emerging, the Lost Cause faded away. The feelings behind the Lost Cause, however, have never truly disappeared. And the political environment of today surrounding the Lee statue is similar to that of the 1920s.

(snip)

The 1920s saw the unprecedented national popularity of the Ku Klux Klan, which had its highest membership in that decade (Indiana had the largest number of Klansmen). Nativism and anti-immigrant feeling was in the political mainstream, while the Republican Party morphed from being the party of civil rights and economic protectionism (i.e., Lincoln) to the party of laissez faire big business (i.e., Coolidge). In the former Confederate states, it was the time of the Solid South: the Democratic Party and white supremacy ruled the day.

Trump said it should be up to locals to what statues they want, well the locals wanted Lee's stature down.

Maybe these statues should stay up, so when blacks can see them they can remember how whites treated them, and even give them more of a reason to be angry and upset over how they have been used and abused for over a century and had to fight so hard for civil rights. Seems you love the black football player and basketball players,

I wonder why most whites lay in the sun to get a suntan, I doubt its for their dose of Vit D.

Penny dear------do you not want to note ATTRIBUTION-----the post is OBVIOUSLY not
your own------it is a copy and paste

Most people are proud of their heritage. Those whose family's are from the South (generations) should have the right to honor their heritage.

What matter is what people value NOW, not in the 1920's. I'm sure most people are totally unaware of this information. They simply are proud of where they come from.

As for suntans, well, skin color and pigment is a matter of preference....

suntans have been a cosmetic issue for MILLENNIA ----way back ---like 3000 years ago---
some women used "walnut oil" (?????) to try to impart kind of BRONZIE appearance to their very white skin----I think it was the women of Crete (????) I read about it in ancient
writings. For the record-----I do not tan-----I burn -----the BANE OF MY CHILDHOOD SUMMERS

There was a time when being "pale" was a sign of prominence and preferred.

Today, I don't think there is any preference. More toward pale I think, not only for looks but really for health reasons...

(snip)

Trump said it should be up to locals to what statues they want, well the locals wanted Lee's stature down.

Penny dear------do you not want to note ATTRIBUTION-----the post is OBVIOUSLY not
your own------it is a copy and paste

Yes my writing is in italics and looks like this. Of course I copied and pasted and I also supplied a link.

Nobody would go in the Sun, if it made people black

Most blacks are brown, I see very few really black people. Do you know your colors?

Her pants are black, brown is her skin color, some are darker in skin color though.

There was a time when being "pale" was a sign of prominence and preferred.

Today, I don't think there is any preference. More toward pale I think, not only for looks but really for health reasons...

There are all kinds of weird "ideas" which I have encountered regarding skin color-----
some of the MOST "white is best" people I have encountered are those of SOUTH EAST ASIA !!!!------ie-----Indians and Pakistanis. It is a fact that the BRHAMINS of india tend to be
of lighter complexion than the low caste "dalits"-------On seeing a newborn baby ---of a hindu
mother----it is always good to remark on the baby's "fair" complexion. I get the impression
that the Brits not only IMPOSED tea and cricket on those poor innocent people----they also
did a job on the "BROWN PEOPLE" thing . A remarkably consistent "thing" is ----
"ARAB IS WHITE" -------arabs is, in my experience the second most color conscious---with
IRANIAN as a close runner up. We americans have NOTHING ON THEM

Most blacks are brown, I see very few really black people. Do you know your colors?

there are no "white" people either-------I am kinda pink. Persons who are really lite tan---
are also often called "white" --------I have some brown dots on my pink skin

upload_2017-8-17_6-21-37.jpeg

For you guys, a very tan white girl, or at least I think she is white.

there are no "white" people either-------I am kinda pink. Persons who are really lite tan---
are also often called "white" --------I have some brown dots on my pink skin

Yes many degrees of white as well, and not really white as you point out.

The last Civil War Vets died in the 1950s. There are areas of the country where there were long running feuds that were a continuation of the Civil War. Many of the "outlaws" of the 1880s + had fought in the civil war.

In 1915 a guy by the name of D.W. Griffith came out with a silent movie called Birth of a Nation. That movie was based on a book written by Thomas Dixon. Thomas Dixon was a very good friend of President Woodrow Wilson.
Highlights:

The Klan Part Deux used the movie as a recruitment tool. The NAACP tried to get the movie banned and many cities did ban it. That is your Lost Cause. There were multiple riots taking place and this attachment of values is separate from the Civil War itself. That door swings both ways and if you are big believer in the Union was on the side of the just then feelings will hurt.

You think it wasn't used for political purposes? Pffttt......just like something is as American as apple pie, base ball and Chevrolet or like the recent Red Scare tactics.

Do I care if the statue is moved? No. I don't give a damn if the statue exists at all.I find it interesting that this wasn't discussed previously outside of academia and/or local historical and genealogy societies. Almost like listening to a shit load of people yelling and screaming and only later coming up with justification and only after someone else 'splains it to 'em.

The last Civil War Vets died in the 1950s. There are areas of the country where there were long running feuds that were a continuation of the Civil War. Many of the "outlaws" of the 1880s + had fought in the civil war.

In 1915 a guy by the name of D.W. Griffith came out with a silent movie called Birth of a Nation. That movie was based on a book written by Thomas Dixon. Thomas Dixon was a very good friend of President Woodrow Wilson.
Highlights:

The Klan Part Deux used the movie as a recruitment tool. The NAACP tried to get the movie banned and many cities did ban it. That is your Lost Cause. There were multiple riots taking place and this attachment of values is separate from the Civil War itself. That door swings both ways and if you are big believer in the Union was on the side of the just then feelings will hurt.

You think it wasn't used for political purposes? Pffttt......just like something is as American as apple pie, base ball and Chevrolet or like the recent Red Scare tactics.

Do I care if the statue is moved? No. I don't give a damn if the statue exists at all.I find it interesting that this wasn't discussed previously outside of academia and/or local historical and genealogy societies. Almost like listening to a shit load of people yelling and screaming and only later coming up with justification and only after someone else 'splains it to 'em.

the chance to yell and scream was what it was ALL ABOUT

Forum List

Back