Mormon Cosmology

That does not prove that God is not real. My grandma is currently dying of cancer yet I do not expect YHWH to swoop down from the Heavens and save her from stage four lung cancer. Nor do I feel YHWH should feel obligated do so.

The suffering and pain and death of our loved ones are never a happy thing to experience, but that's Life. Get over it.

No, they aren't.

But praying to a magic sky man is a useless activity I refuse to engage in or treat seriously.
Then don't and leave others to deal with same stuff in their own way.
No one is preventing you from the idol worship of your golden plates or books of tales and fables. It's only when you extremists decide that your fears and superstitions need to be imposed in the public schools or associated with government that other need to step in and correct you.

- The Sun "borrows it's light from Kolob through the medium of Kae-e-vanrash.. which governs fifteen other fixed planets or stars.. and receives light from the revolutions of Kolob." This quote comes directly from the Book of Abraham, Facsimile Number 2, Explanation for Figure 5. Also see: Mormonism 1 Facsimile2 The Planet Kolob and the Planet Oliblish and Mother Gonhorra

What is Mother Gonhorra? That is not part of the teachings or Doctrine. It does not appear to be part of the link to the page it references.

- The Sun is a celestialized world, where its inhabitants are perfected. The Prophet Brigham Young taught in General Conference: "So it is with regard to the inhabitants of the sun. Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is. Do you think there is any life there? No question of it; it was not made in vain. It was made to give light to those who dwell upon it, and to other planets; and so will this earth when it is celestialized." See Journal of Discourses, 13:271. Also see Prophet Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Volume 1 Page 88: "Earth to be Celestialized Sun"

This was the opinion of Brigham Young. But it is not totally without merit. Although we mortals, in our current nature are not able to abide in fire, that does not preclude the immortal from doing such.

In "God, Man and the Universe", Hyrum Andrus writes:

Because the glory of God has been manifest at times to men on earth, Latter-day Saints accepted as real and plausible the biblical account that God went before ancient Israel "by day in a pillar of a cloud and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light" (Exodus 13:21-22; 14:19-25); that "the Lord descended" upon Mount Sinai "in fire," so that "the Lord descended" upon Mount Sinai "in fire," so that "the smoke ... ascended as the smoke of a furnace"; that Moses partook so much of the divine nature while in God's presence that "the skin of his face shone" to the extent that the Israelites feared to come near him; that "fire came down and the glory of the Lord" filled the temple of Solomon so that "the priests could not enter into the house of the Lord"' that Elijah called "the fire of the Lord" to consume his sacrifice and was himself later translated to heaven in "a chariot of fire"; that Christ was transfigured by the heavenly element so that "his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light," while the voice of His Father from "the excellent glory" declared: "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased"; and that on the day of Pentecost "cloven tongues like as of fire" appeared amid "a rushing mighty wind" and "sat upon" the people.​

In modern times, man has been given descriptions of a celestial being in his glory and power. Joseph Smith's statement concerning the angel Moroni has been quoted in chapter two of this volume. As Oliver Cowdery wrote of the appearance of this heavenly messenger to the Prophet in 1823, he said:

While continuing in prayer for a manifestation in some way that his sins were forgiven; endeavoring to exercise faith in the scriptures, on a sudden a light like that of day, only of a purer and far more glorious appearance and brightness, burst into the room. Indeed, to use his own description, the first sight was as though the house was filled with consuming and unquenchable fire. This sudden appearance of a light so bright, as must naturally be expected, occasioned a shock or sensation, visible to the extremities of the body. It was, however, followed with a calmness and serenity of mind, and an overwhelming rapture of joy that surpassed understanding, and in a moment a personage stood before him.​

Notwithstanding the room was previously filled with light above the brightness of the sun, as I have before described, yet there seemed to be an addional glory surrounding or accompanying this personage, which shone with an increased degree of brilliancy, of which he was in the midst; and though his countenance was as lightning, yet it was of a pleasing, innocent and glorious appearance, so much so, that every fear was banished from the heart, and nothing but calmness pervaded the soul​

The stature of this personage was a little above the common size of men in this age; his garment was perfectly white, and had the appearance of being without seam.​

Religious terminology makes use of serveral synonyms in referring to the glory of God, viz.: "eternal fire," "everlasting burnings," "consuming fire," "circling flames of fire," "cloven tongues of fire," "light unapproachable by those of lower spheres," etc. However, these are earthly symbols used to designate the glory of God, and they indicate that the realm of God's existence is a highly glorified place that radiates a brilliance of light far beyond the comprehension of finite man. Joseph Smith declared:

God Almighty, Himself, dwells in eternal fire; flesh and blood cannot go there, for all corruption is devoured by the fire. . . .When our felsh is quickened by the Spirit [in the resurrection], thre will be no blood in this tabernacle. Some dwell in higher glory than others. . . .Immortality dwells in everlasting burnings. . . . All men who are immortal dwell in everlasting burnings.(History of the Church, VI, p. 366. See also p. 476)​

The term "everlasting burnings" and its synonyms apparently also have a literal meaning, for heat is associated with God's glory. The Prophet is said to have taught "that all light and heat are the 'glory of God,' which is His power." Having talked with God face to face, Moses declared that had he not been transfigured, he would have withered and died" in God's presence. A revelation states that when Christ comes in His glory, His presence "shall be as the melting fire that burneth, and as the fire which causeth the waters to boil." The mountains will "flow down" at his presence. "And every corruptible thing, both of man, or of the beasts of the field, or of the fowls of heaven, or of the fish of the sea, that dwells upon all the face of the earth, shall be consumed; and also that of the element shall melt with fervent heat​

If this is true, how hard is it to imagine that immortal beings could live on the sun?

No one is preventing you from the idol worship of your golden plates or books of tales and fables. It's only when you extremists decide that your fears and superstitions need to be imposed in the public schools or associated with government that other need to step in and correct you.

We should only stick to those hard proven facts in the public domain like the 911 hoax, the Patriot Act tyranny, the global warming hoax, and the evolution hoax.

- The Earth will undergo a perfection after the millenium and become a huge seer stone of glass. People living on the Earth after this transformation will be able to look into the Earth and see things happening on "inferior" kingdoms (planets). See D&C 130:9

- God's home planet, Kolob, is at the center of our Galaxy, which all other stars rotate around. See Clark, J. Reuben Jr., "Behold the Lamb of God," page 46, "Kolob, the Governor"

- The Earth actually has a spirit, just like we do. It had to be baptized (the flood) to fulfill all righteousness, just like us. It will also have to receive the baptism of fire (at the second coming of Christ) in order to receive its exaltation and become a celestialized world. See Prophet Joseph Fielding Smith's "Doctrines of Salvation," Volume 1, pages 73-74, page 87 "Celestial Destiny of the Earth." See also Moses Chapter 7:48-49, 56 where the Earth's spirit speaks with Enoch.

- When Adam and Eve lived in the Garden of Eden, the Earth was closely orbiting Kolob, like God's home planet. But when Adam and Eve fell, so did the Earth and it was hurled across the cosmos and placed in orbit around our sun in this planetary system. After the Millenium, the Earth will return to its rightful place near God, orbiting Kolob. See Church Ensign, March 1997, Page 16 "The Book of Abraham: A Most Remarkable Book," and Journal of Discourses, 17:143 and Journal of Discourses 7:163

Doctrine and Covenants 130:9
9 This earth, in its sanctified and immortal state, will be made like unto crystal and will be a Urim and Thummim to the inhabitants who dwell thereon, whereby all things pertaining to an inferior kingdom, or all kingdoms of a lower order, will be manifest to those who dwell on it; and this earth will be Christ’s.

God's home is not Kolob. As show in previous verses, Kolob is the planet closest to that where God resides.

Genesis one talks about a creation, but then chapter two has the events occurring not in the same order. Perhaps Genesis one was a spiritual creation and Genesis two is speaking of the physical creation.

Moses 3:5
5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew. For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth. For I, the Lord God, had not caused it to rain upon the face of the earth. And I, the Lord God, had created all the children

Moses 3:7
7 And I, the Lord God, formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul, the first flesh upon the earth, the first man also; nevertheless, all things were before created; but spiritually were they created and made according to my word.

Genesis 1:3-4
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

What light was this? It wasn't the sun because the sun wasn't created until the 4th day of Genesis 1.

Genesis 1:14-19
14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

latest
Don't tell me. Dick Cheney?

- Black Holes are "outer darkness" where God will cast those sons of perdition that deny His spirit. This includes all Ex-Mormons. See "The Creation," page 146 and D&C 101:90-91

- The light of Christ is the light coming from the Sun and the Moon. See D&C 88:7. (The "light" refered to may very well be literal, as well as figurative and symbolic, speaking about Christ's influence.)

- Kolob is the North Star, according to Joseph Smith. Taught by LDS Church Institute Instructor, but still need reference."

Nice to see a branch of Christianity all about science. ...Or you know, "science." ;)

We don't know that black holes are outer darkness. They have not been shown to exists. It is a guess to account for space anomalies based on man's finite knowledge of the universe. It is Hawking's best guess.

Tried searching for the book, "The Creation" and couldn't find it. Who wrote it? Is it by an LDS author? D&C 101:90-91 states:

Doctrine and Covenants 101:90-91
90 And in his hot displeasure, and in his fierce anger, in his time, will cut off those wicked, unfaithful, and unjust stewards, and appoint them their portion among hypocrites, and unbelievers;
91 Even in outer darkness, where there is weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth.

Nothing about black holes in this verse.

Regarding the light of Christ, D&C 88 says:

Doctrine and Covenants 88:6-13
6 He that ascended up on high, as also he descended below all things, in that he comprehended all things, that he might be in all and through all things, the light of truth;
7 Which truth shineth. This is the light of Christ. As also he is in the sun, and the light of the sun, and the power thereof by which it was made.
8 As also he is in the moon, and is the light of the moon, and the power thereof by which it was made;
9 As also the light of the stars, and the power thereof by which they were made;
10 And the earth also, and the power thereof, even the earth upon which you stand.
11 And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings;
12 Which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space—
13 The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things.

The verse declares that God is the source of all light. If God created the universe, is it so hard to imagine that he is the source of all light and that light is part of God's power. The glory of God is ever present.

Never ever heard that Joseph Smith taught that the North Star was Kolob. Can you supply a reference?

Delta4Embassy, who ever claimed that this was obtained via science or claimed it to be science? As far as I can tell, you are labeling it as Mormon science. God simply reveals things. He never claims it to be the great and holy "SCIENCE" as we see in our schools today. He is saying that he is the great law giver. He established all the laws of the universe, even those that are actual provable real science. He doesn't bow down to science. Science is a man made term that men rely upon via their own findings of God's laws. God simply reveals truth. Science is man's finite knowledge of some of God's truths mingled with some political agenda's I might add. Not all of it is true. More and more we have to sift through the pseudo or political science to weed out what is really true within it.

Meaning you are unable to persecute those with whom you disagree, and you have the same protection.

And the nice thing about the 1st is that you can tell me I am wrong but can do nothing about it.

Oh, by the way, actually, um, bud, you are wrong.

No, there is no God.

You see, I prayed for my Mom's cancer to get better and so did everyone she knew.

She died.

No God.
Unanswered prayer is not proof that there is no God.

Meaning you are unable to persecute those with whom you disagree, and you have the same protection.

And the nice thing about the 1st is that you can tell me I am wrong but can do nothing about it.

No, there is no God.

You see, I prayed for my Mom's cancer to get better and so did everyone she knew.

She died.

No God.
It just means that the gawds were too busy with their administrative duties to attend your prayer meetings.

No, there is no God.

She died.

No God.

Rabbis explain this as, 'God answers all prayers. But sometimes the answer is 'no.''

No, there is no God.

She died.

No God.

Rabbis explain this as, 'God answers all prayers. But sometimes the answer is 'no.''
I have heard Christian pastors say basically the same thing.

The true atheist does not wonder about it and moves along his path.

No, there is no God.

She died.

No God.

Prayers may have been answered, just not in expected manner. Perhaps if Joe had opened his mind to let his spirit hear what needed to be heard, prayers would have been answered with comforting reply, with divine word... just not divine miracle.

Last edited:

No, there is no God.

She died.

No God.

Prayers may have been answered, just not in expected manner. Perhaps if Joe had opened his mind to let his spirit hear what needed to be heard, prayers would have been answered with comforting reply, with divine word... just not divine miracle.

What techniques are effective in opening the mind so as to communicate with the spirit world? All too frequently, it's people like you, Jim Jones, Benny Hinn, Marshall Applewhite, etc., who claim to have a direct connection to the spirit realms with some pretty disasterous results.

I have heard Christian pastors say basically the same thing.

The true atheist does not wonder about it and moves along his path.

Why do you think that a scam should go unchallenged because you dress it up in vestments and call it a religion?

If someone had sold my mother snake oil and told her it would cure her cancer, I'd have grounds for a malpractice suit. I'd put that scumbag away for fraud and I'd feel very good about it when he was ass-raped by a prison gang.

But these cocksuckers sell this God Bullshit to people, and we are all supposed to say, "Meh, that's okay, it's religion."

Fuck that.

[

Um, yeah, it kind of is, really.

Because you religionists will get out there and claim that God totally wanted Tebow to win a football game, but he can't cure cancers or plagues or famines.
No it's not. Maybe God just lets the chips fall were they may. Why would God be at our beck and call?

Forum List

Back