More Reasons to Love Keith Richards

^^^so in your simple minds, the Left NEVER makes shit up.

I guess if you get all your information from the Left, you wouldn't know better.

I guess if you get all your information from the Left, you wouldn't know better.
What fertilizer do you use to grow your strawmen? They are positively huge.

I have been told I am huge many times, but thanks anyway.

What a schmuck. Most metal guitarists have more talent than Richards could have if he lived 10 lifetimes.

What fertilizer do you use to grow your strawmen? They are positively huge.

I have been told I am huge many times, but thanks anyway.
I think they were just trying to make you feel better. You do realize that strawmen are not real right?

What a schmuck. Most metal guitarists have more talent than Richards could have if he lived 10 lifetimes.
Actual professional guitarists would laugh at you.

True story!

Bullshit. Real guitarists turn up their noses to hack rock and roll guitarists, especially simpletons like Richards. You are a moron.
Keith Richards is one of the most influential rock guitarists in history.

EVERY rock guitarist of any renown will tell you that.

Best thing about Richards is that the unique style of guitar playing is simple enough that even I can do it. Banjo tuning. But totally effective. If guitarists try his music in standard tuning it totally loses its flavor. Just not the same. It also explains how a guy hooked on heroin (and who knows what else) can still manage to play.
His assessment of heavy metal is spot on, too. It lacks the groove essence that stems from blues. Maybe that's why so many white people like heavy metal. I don't judge them for it as taste is totally subjective and some heavy metal is still good music. But it is always on top of the beat and never around it.

Interesting that Richards didn't go into the technical aspect. Anybody can be a rock star with the electronic gadgets available today that can turn a tone deaf idiot into into Frank Sinatra.

True story!

Bullshit. Real guitarists turn up their noses to hack rock and roll guitarists, especially simpletons like Richards. You are a moron.

i think he is mostly known for his composing synth....i just looked at 5 greatest guitarist polls and he was not in any of their top 20 he usually showed up around 30-50 range....so its all what you like....

True story!

i think he is mostly known for his composing synth....i just looked at 5 greatest guitarist polls and he was not in any of their top 20 he usually showed up around 30-50 range....so its all what you like....

Taste is a personal thing. I get that. But if you compare him to Al Di Mola or a classically trained guitarist, or Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert or Jason Becker, then it is clear that Richards is a peasant when it comes to guitar players. What about Steve Vai, or Joe Satriani? Tony McAlpine or Marty Friedman?

Keith Richards is a joke as a guitar player. He did compose done catchy tunes. I like the Stones and Richards. But when some dweeb says something stupid - like Richards being a great guitar player - it irritates me.

If dexterity and gymnastics are an effective substitute for expression and art then you might have a point. But I don't consider stenographers to be great literary genii.

You moron, it is not one or the other. You have the aesthetics of a turd.

True story!

Richards is a sloppy guitar player. He makes Jimmy Page sound like a world renowned classical guitarist.

True story!

Taste is a personal thing. I get that. But if you compare him to Al Di Mola or a classically trained guitarist, or Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert or Jason Becker, then it is clear that Richards is a peasant when it comes to guitar players. What about Steve Vai, or Joe Satriani? Tony McAlpine or Marty Friedman?

Keith Richards is a joke as a guitar player. He did compose done catchy tunes. I like the Stones and Richards. But when some dweeb says something stupid - like Richards being a great guitar player - it irritates me.
You're allowing the trees to obscure your view of the forest. Groove and hooks and timing go a lot farther than acrobatics and fireworks.
None of those virtuousos you cited came up with any hooks as catchy as Jumpin Jack Flash or the texture of the open G chords in Honky Tonk Women. And I'm taking nothing away from the others.
Think of guitarists or any musician in terms of creating a character as actors do. Some of the best actors recite lines without uttering a word.
Compare harmonicists Big Walter Horton with John Popper or Howard Levy. Walter says more with one note than the others do in an entire solo.

If dexterity and gymnastics are an effective substitute for expression and art then you might have a point. But I don't consider stenographers to be great literary genii.

You moron, it is not one or the other. You have the aesthetics of a turd.
I'm not the turd expert that you are so I'll leave that comparison to you.

Ah Keif!!

I love his use of open G tuning.....

I agree with him and think "rap" is missing the letter "C"....

But I think he's wrong about Sabbath, Metallica, and metal music......

Of course, he's entitled to his opinion!!

PS- We don't need any more reasons to love keif....we already have Exile on Main Street, Sticky fingers, Let it bleed, Some girls, Black and blue, Beggars Banquet, Aftermath, et.al..........

True story!

You're allowing the trees to obscure your view of the forest. Groove and hooks and timing go a lot farther than acrobatics and fireworks.
None of those virtuousos you cited came up with any hooks as catchy as Jumpin Jack Flash or the texture of the open G chords in Honky Tonk Women. And I'm taking nothing away from the others.
Think of guitarists or any musician in terms of creating a character as actors do. Some of the best actors recite lines without uttering a word.
Compare harmonicists Big Walter Horton with John Popper or Howard Levy. Walter says more with one note than the others do in an entire solo.

I do not disagree with you. I will also admit that I am a snob. I played guitar for years, including many technical lessons and theory. I even took up piano so as to further my knowledge. I played in bands all over Atlanta for years playing original music. My absolute biggest influence was Al Di Meola. I was very serious in my music and worked to become the most proficient guitarist I was capable of becoming. Eventually I opted to finish school. Once I did I layed aside music to go to graduate school. I still play, but not like I used to. I entered my current profession, eventually married and had a family. Despite this I remain a huge music fan, regularly listening to anything from jazz standards and fusion, to metal, to bluegrass.

It is possible to have an extremely high level of technical proficiency and write beautiful and emotional music. Richards is fine, and I am a fan of his. However, his playing is sloppy and understated. As for writing catchy hooks and grooves then, yes, certainly Richards is quite notable. So is Jimmy Page. Page could be pretty sloppy, but his layered song structures and songwriting was brilliant.

I am only riled up at some douche says something like Richards is on of the greatest guitar players ever. No, we was not. His playing was notable and he wrote some kick ass rock tunes. But a great guitar player? That is laughable.

True story!

well he was good enough to make the top 50 in all the polls i saw,thats better than many other guys who are popular and could not even break that....and besides those guys you mentioned might be way better technically but none of them have written anything near what he has.... for a rhythm guitar player he gets lots of respect.......

True story!

You have to be a wingnut, because you can't read, you make false arguments, and you lie about what people say.

Where did I say that Richards was a great guitarist? I didn't. I said he was influential, which he most certainly was.

Now, RollingStone.com does list him as the 4th greatest guitarist. They don't specify, but I have to assume they are limiting it to rock. And as much as I love Al DiMeola, he's not a rock guitarist.

Keith Richards - 100 Greatest Guitarists | Rolling Stone

Why are you so dishonest? Is it your conservative value?

Forum List

Back