More Money Does Buy More Happiness, Says Study

I always say to people: "make money now, think about happiness later!"

I was happy those years I didn’t make what I make now but meanwhile my brother was making a lot and going on trips all over the world with the kids. I always paid my bills but I was living month to month. So while I was happy I was like most Americans today, barely getting by. We saw what Americans finances were during corona. Most people couldn’t get by a month.

Anyways, it’s nice to not have to worry abou a lease payment. Instead of worrying about a fusion payment now I have the f150. Not that expensive but before I couldn’t afford that.

in the years I didn’t make shit my friend Dave was a pharma rep and we live on a lake. Thank god dave had a boat because I couldn’t afford one. It’s nice having my own boat and not cry when storing it cost me $1000. My how far I’ve come.

Does money make you happier? Fuck yes

I was happy those years I didn’t make what I make now but meanwhile my brother was making a lot and going on trips all over the world with the kids. I always paid my bills but I was living month to month. So while I was happy I was like most Americans today, barely getting by. We saw what Americans finances were during corona. Most people couldn’t get by a month.

Anyways, it’s nice to not have to worry abou a lease payment. Instead of worrying about a fusion payment now I have the f150. Not that expensive but before I couldn’t afford that.

in the years I didn’t make shit my friend Dave was a pharma rep and we live on a lake. Thank god dave had a boat because I couldn’t afford one. It’s nice having my own boat and not cry when storing it cost me $1000. My how far I’ve come.

I've always been a happy person. To me it's more of a feeling of security or satisfaction rather than being a lot happier having money. We live pretty simply and don't really enjoy traveling and have never been on a cruise. I don't think we're going to start now.

I get what you're saying or at least I think I do.

I've been dead broke and I've had times when I had more month than money but I always saved as much as I could, didn't run up debt, drove an old car rather than make pymts.

Drive around town and you see mostly new vehicles. I live in a red state, very poor people, higher unemployment now and I wonder how people are getting by, feeding their kids, driving a new-ish car and so on.

Now, I'm comfortable with no financial worries ahead. We've travelled, which has been very important to us both. Our son is a cancer researcher in Boston. He was previously researching viruses but switched and he's doing extremely well. Like you, we live on a lake, gorgeous and have a very nice, comfortable home. We just sub-divided our land so we could sell a second house on it. Realtor commented that he seldom sees sellers that aren't "motivated". We told him we could aford to wait for a higher price and we did get what we were asking.

We have family on both sides that are hurting right now. We've helped then in the past but frankly, we're fed up with the right wingers who can't get ahead, have consumer debt, enormous car payments, which we both think is just stupid. We'll keep helping them though because they're family.

I've always been a happy person but money makes everything better. Buying what we need and want without counting every penny - yeah, much better than living poor.

And about your boat - we had several but sold a big expensive speed boat and we were talking about selling a collector's item type wooden boat. One day, knock on the door, guy wanted to know if we wanted to sell it and how much did we want. We really didn't care and told him to make a $500 donation to the local animal shelter and he could have it so that's who we "sold" the boat. Now have 3 left and will sell them too. Nothing that's worth anything but we don't want them.

I'm not sure I believe this..... someone should give me 10 million dollars and I will write a report in 2 years and settle this once and for all.

I've been dead broke and I've had times when I had more month than money but I always saved as much as I could, didn't run up debt, drove an old car rather than make pymts.

Drive around town and you see mostly new vehicles. I live in a red state, very poor people, higher unemployment now and I wonder how people are getting by, feeding their kids, driving a new-ish car and so on.

Now, I'm comfortable with no financial worries ahead. We've travelled, which has been very important to us both. Our son is a cancer researcher in Boston. He was previously researching viruses but switched and he's doing extremely well. Like you, we live on a lake, gorgeous and have a very nice, comfortable home. We just sub-divided our land so we could sell a second house on it. Realtor commented that he seldom sees sellers that aren't "motivated". We told him we could aford to wait for a higher price and we did get what we were asking.

We have family on both sides that are hurting right now. We've helped then in the past but frankly, we're fed up with the right wingers who can't get ahead, have consumer debt, enormous car payments, which we both think is just stupid. We'll keep helping them though because they're family.

I've always been a happy person but money makes everything better. Buying what we need and want without counting every penny - yeah, much better than living poor.

And about your boat - we had several but sold a big expensive speed boat and we were talking about selling a collector's item type wooden boat. One day, knock on the door, guy wanted to know if we wanted to sell it and how much did we want. We really didn't care and told him to make a $500 donation to the local animal shelter and he could have it so that's who we "sold" the boat. Now have 3 left and will sell them too. Nothing that's worth anything but we don't want them.
They are right wingers and hurting? I’m sorry but I wouldn’t give them a penny unless they put a biden sign in the yard.

I'm not sure I believe this..... someone should give me 10 million dollars and I will write a report in 2 years and settle this once and for all.
If someone gave it to you maybe you’d be worse off. Maybe you’d blow it up your nose or kill yourself when you file bankruptcy.

Me? I would put it away and keep working till the day I felt like stopping. My job is too good to give up. But it would be great to have FU money.

Maybe I’d move out of my condo on the lake and buy a home on the lake. But this is plenty of room for me and my dog. I like it here. It’s a community.

They are right wingers and hurting? I’m sorry but I wouldn’t give them a penny unless they put a biden sign in the yard.

Believe me, we've had similar conversations.

We've semi-supported several for years now and our discussions about them just go round and round. We don't argue. Its not that. Its that we feel some sense of responsibility because they're family but we know they're stupid for believing trump is suddenly going to actually do anything for anyone other than himself and other 1%ers.
We're not doing them any favor.
We can't let them end up homeless.
We'll just pay their taxes.
We should send more.
We've bought iPhones and iPads for various family and we pay their cell and internet providers.
How long before one or some show up and want to bed down in our guest room?
We don't dare talk about selling another house because they don't know how many we've had and sold.
Some are scammers. Good christians and scam artists.

Here's the thing that really ticks us both off - we've both done some really shit jobs because that's what we had to do. Once we started "helping", they stopped doing for themselves. They don't feel they have to and we stupidly reinforce that.

Sorry for the rant. The whole mess is our own fault.

While money wont buy complete happiness it sure goes a long way to a sense of security.
I mean it's gonna be hard to be happy if you dont know where your next check is going to come from.
Oh for sure. There is a big difference in being 20 with no real responsibilities and no money and being 50 with lots of responsibilities and no money.

Believe me, we've had similar conversations.

We've semi-supported several for years now and our discussions about them just go round and round. We don't argue. Its not that. Its that we feel some sense of responsibility because they're family but we know they're stupid for believing trump is suddenly going to actually do anything for anyone other than himself and other 1%ers.
We're not doing them any favor.
We can't let them end up homeless.
We'll just pay their taxes.
We should send more.
We've bought iPhones and iPads for various family and we pay their cell and internet providers.
How long before one or some show up and want to bed down in our guest room?
We don't dare talk about selling another house because they don't know how many we've had and sold.
Some are scammers. Good christians and scam artists.

Here's the thing that really ticks us both off - we've both done some really shit jobs because that's what we had to do. Once we started "helping", they stopped doing for themselves. They don't feel they have to and we stupidly reinforce that.

Sorry for the rant. The whole mess is our own fault.
The only people who could play me like this are my nephews, brother or dad. I couldn’t let them go homeless.

Cousins I would only help for a month maybe two.

My uncle not blood related has a nephew in prison. Loser. I wouldn’t give him a dime. My uncle told his brother he has to get him an apartment when he gets out and pay for 1 year. After that he’s on his own.

I remember times were tough for me and I don’t know how I would afford a lease payment. My grandmother died and left my parents around $25,000 and they bought me a new car. That allowed me to survive the bush Great Recession.

While money wont buy complete happiness it sure goes a long way to a sense of security.
I mean it's gonna be hard to be happy if you dont know where your next check is going to come from.
Oh for sure. There is a big difference in being 20 with no real responsibilities and no money and being 50 with lots of responsibilities and no money.
It is great being 49, condo is paid off, no kids, I make almost $100k and I’m maxing out my 401k AND investing in the stock market. 2000-2008 really sucked for Michigan. The bush Great Recession sent all those good paying manufacturing jobs to China and mexico.

If someone gave it to you maybe you’d be worse off. Maybe you’d blow it up your nose or kill yourself when you file bankruptcy.

Me? I would put it away and keep working till the day I felt like stopping. My job is too good to give up. But it would be great to have FU money.

Maybe I’d move out of my condo on the lake and buy a home on the lake. But this is plenty of room for me and my dog. I like it here. It’s a community.
I'm not gonna lie, I probably would cross "Snort cocaine off a high end hooker's ass" off my bucket list.

Forum List

Back