More Anti-gay Bigots in Rural Areas

Getting gay slurs screamed in your face while someone slaps you isn't a person just having the opinion that "homosexuality isn't awesome."

Hate is hate. It's accompanied by words and deeds.

Why did you get up in their face?

What I have seen in rural areas is that most people are content to leave well enough alone. But, when someone starts making demands, insinuating themselves and wanting to force change where it doesn't belong and is unwanted (usually for the good only of the gay making the demands), rural people can get quite hostile.

Are you talking to me? I didn't get in anyone's face. A guy jumped out the bushes at me while I was walking my dog with my wife. I'd never seen him before in my life. I was walking on a private road owned by all of us property owners in the neighborhood. I've lived there four years without incident and enjoyed very good relations with all the neighbors.

So, basically, one person insulted you and you have decided that - after 4 years of no issues with anyone - all those people 'hate' you.

How pathetic.

If I took it personally every time some Brit idiot insulted me, I'd hate the whole country. Fortunately, I'm a rational person.

What I have seen in rural areas is that most people are content to leave well enough alone. But, when someone starts making demands, insinuating themselves and wanting to force change where it doesn't belong and is unwanted (usually for the good only of the gay making the demands), rural people can get quite hostile.

Are you talking to me? I didn't get in anyone's face. A guy jumped out the bushes at me while I was walking my dog with my wife. I'd never seen him before in my life. I was walking on a private road owned by all of us property owners in the neighborhood. I've lived there four years without incident and enjoyed very good relations with all the neighbors.

So, basically, one person insulted you and you have decided that - after 4 years of no issues with anyone - all those people 'hate' you.

How pathetic.

If I took it personally every time some Brit idiot insulted me, I'd hate the whole country. Fortunately, I'm a rational person.

Nope, most my neighbors like us. I'm saying that there are more incidents of bigotry that I've known about in the last ten years I've lived in this county than at any other time of my life.

Last edited:
You mean they give themselves license to be hateful?
People are not "hateful" just because they don't think you're homosexuality is awesome.

Getting gay slurs screamed in your face while someone slaps you isn't a person just having the opinion that "homosexuality isn't awesome."

Exactly. They've made excuses and given themselves permission to Behave Badly for far too long.

People are not "hateful" just because they don't think you're homosexuality is awesome.

Exactly. They've made excuses and given themselves permission to Behave Badly for far too long.

I'm considering writing an article for the local paper. I did call the sheriff and filed a report.

Last edited:

How pathetic.

We used to be friends, CG. You've sure gotten hostile. Why are you so unhappy?

Unfortunatly Gays have always held a hateful Ruralphobic view of Rural people.

Unfortunatly Gays have always held a hateful Ruralphobic view of Rural people.

Not at all. I love living in the country. It's worth it. I'm just saying our county has a high incidence of bigoted violence.

or is it my imagination?

I can't believe people attack others on the basis of race, sex, ethnicity and sexual orientation. More incidents here than when I lived in Eugene and Portland Oregon.
People are just more honest is rural areas

Dunno if "honest" is the word I would use. People who live in rural areas tend to be clannish and hang around their own type, and in the Pacific Northwest, that usually means whites and straights only.

Trust me...........I grew up in a place called Vaughn Mt. which was a very small town and I had to ride a bus 30 miles to go to high school (each way). Most people there tend to not notice anything going on outside of their own little world unless something shocks them into noticing the other person (like ethnicity), and because the person looks or acts different, the country people will usually react to them with distrust.

I also know this because living with my Grandparents, they were those "small town people" and they were also extremely biased against anyone who wasn't white and Protestant. One of the things they said to me as I left for bootcamp was "Rob, you're gonna meet a lot of different people in the Navy, and some are going to be friends of yours for life. Bring anyone you want home, just make sure they're white."

Nope, sorry...........most rural people are uninformed as to many other types of people and choose to stay that way.

or is it my imagination?

I can't believe people attack others on the basis of race, sex, ethnicity and sexual orientation. More incidents here than when I lived in Eugene and Portland Oregon.

Dunno if "honest" is the word I would use. People who live in rural areas tend to be clannish and hang around their own type, and in the Pacific Northwest, that usually means whites and straights only.

Trust me...........I grew up in a place called Vaughn Mt. which was a very small town and I had to ride a bus 30 miles to go to high school (each way). Most people there tend to not notice anything going on outside of their own little world unless something shocks them into noticing the other person (like ethnicity), and because the person looks or acts different, the country people will usually react to them with distrust.

I also know this because living with my Grandparents, they were those "small town people" and they were also extremely biased against anyone who wasn't white and Protestant. One of the things they said to me as I left for bootcamp was "Rob, you're gonna meet a lot of different people in the Navy, and some are going to be friends of yours for life. Bring anyone you want home, just make sure they're white."

Nope, sorry...........most rural people are uninformed as to many other types of people and choose to stay that way.

What are you saying? Gays and lesbians shouldn't move to the country or they get what they deserve?

Sounds like the rural people have alot in common with the blacks and Hispanic intercitys

What are you saying? Gays and lesbians shouldn't move to the country or they get what they deserve?

Not at all Sky. I was simply agreeing with you, based on what I experienced growing up in Montana.

Fortunately, when I got into the Navy and saw that everyone else was doing pretty much the same thing as me regardless of what they looked like or who they loved, I got rid of my bias pretty quick.

And yes, you're right.........incidents like that are far less reported in the rural areas than they are in the city.

How pathetic.

Nope, most my neighbors like us. I'm saying that there are more incidents of bigotry that I've known about in the last ten years I've lived in this county than at any other time of my life.

Maybe they think you're a paranoid twit? It's not always about your personal life - maybe they just don't like you?

You are very quick to judge people. So maybe that's what they see... a judgmental, paranoid twit with a chip on her shoulder.

Not at all Sky. I was simply agreeing with you, based on what I experienced growing up in Montana.

Fortunately, when I got into the Navy and saw that everyone else was doing pretty much the same thing as me regardless of what they looked like or who they loved, I got rid of my bias pretty quick.

And yes, you're right.........incidents like that are far less reported in the rural areas than they are in the city.

I'm so glad that world travel opened your eyes.

How pathetic.

Maybe they think you're a paranoid twit? It's not always about your personal life - maybe they just don't like you?

You are very quick to judge people. So maybe that's what they see... a judgmental, paranoid twit with a chip on her shoulder.

When someone jumps out of the bushes, screams anti-gay slurs in my face, and hits me for no reason, I call that bigotry. What do you call it? Do you support that kind of hateful behavior?

Nothing paranoid in it at all. It's the truth.

I had no chip on my shoulder walking my dog at dusk with my wife on my own private road. I was relaxed and felt completely safe until that moment.

Last edited:

How pathetic.

It must be fun to walk around completely blind to your blatant hypocrisy. :lol:

Forum List

Back