More Anti-gay Bigots in Rural Areas

So, basically, one person insulted you and you have decided that - after 4 years of no issues with anyone - all those people 'hate' you.

How pathetic.

If I took it personally every time some Brit idiot insulted me, I'd hate the whole country. Fortunately, I'm a rational person.

Nope, most my neighbors like us. I'm saying that there are more incidents of bigotry that I've known about in the last ten years I've lived in this county than at any other time of my life.

Prejudice takes all forms. When I moved here to South Carolina, after having lived my entire life in Boston, and started going to grad school here I found people to be kind of stand offish to me when they would first meet me. Once I start talking it's more than obvious where I'm from and I think people down here have a preconceived notion that people from up north are elitist and rude and it's no different than people up north thinking everybody down here is a dumb redneck. After the other students in my classes were around me more and they realized I wasn't the dick they assumed I would be then everything was fine. Everybody has stereotypes and forms impressions of others upon first glance.

Nope, most my neighbors like us. I'm saying that there are more incidents of bigotry that I've known about in the last ten years I've lived in this county than at any other time of my life.

I'm guessing from the conversation that you're gay. I completely disagree with you that bigotry has gotten worse in this country. Granted, people still laugh and crack jokes behind your backs, but homosexuality is relatively accepted today and far more tolerated than it was 20 years ago. Back in the 1980s when rumors about Boy George and George Michael and others being gay swirled around those guys vehemently denied the rumors because they were afraid to come forward back then. Today, most famous people who are gay are pretty out and open about it. When I was in grad school a couple of years ago there were a few times I saw guys walking through campus holding hands and nobody really paid any attention to them and I'm smack in the middle of the Bible Belt. 20 years ago they likely would have gotten their asses kicked. I think maybe your opinion is biased for whatever reason.

I'm guessing from the conversation that you're gay. I completely disagree with you that bigotry has gotten worse in this country. Granted, people still laugh and crack jokes behind your backs, but homosexuality is relatively accepted today and far more tolerated than it was 20 years ago. Back in the 1980s when rumors about Boy George and George Michael and others being gay swirled around those guys vehemently denied the rumors because they were afraid to come forward back then. Today, most famous people who are gay are pretty out and open about it. When I was in grad school a couple of years ago there were a few times I saw guys walking through campus holding hands and nobody really paid any attention to them and I'm smack in the middle of the Bible Belt. 20 years ago they likely would have gotten their asses kicked. I think maybe your opinion is biased for whatever reason.

My opinion is based on personal experience.

Maybe they think you're a paranoid twit? It's not always about your personal life - maybe they just don't like you?

You are very quick to judge people. So maybe that's what they see... a judgmental, paranoid twit with a chip on her shoulder.

When someone jumps out of the bushes, screams anti-gay slurs in my face, and hits me for no reason, I call that bigotry. What do you call it? Do you support that kind of hateful behavior?

Nothing paranoid in it at all. It's the truth.

I had no chip on my shoulder walking my dog at dusk with my wife on my own private road. I was relaxed and felt completely safe until that moment.

The fact that your guard was down actually made it worse.

Maybe they think you're a paranoid twit? It's not always about your personal life - maybe they just don't like you?

You are very quick to judge people. So maybe that's what they see... a judgmental, paranoid twit with a chip on her shoulder.

When someone jumps out of the bushes, screams anti-gay slurs in my face, and hits me for no reason, I call that bigotry. What do you call it? Do you support that kind of hateful behavior?

Nothing paranoid in it at all. It's the truth.

I had no chip on my shoulder walking my dog at dusk with my wife on my own private road. I was relaxed and felt completely safe until that moment.

The fact that your guard was down actually made it worse.

Actually, most of the time I am not on my guard against bigotry. What was unnerving was I had NEVER seen this guy in the neighborhood and he wouldn't identify himself. I didn't see where he'd come from.

My wife and I were walking the dog, and all four of our cats were following us. It was a sweet moment and then it was horror.

Yea, one person insulted you so all people who live in rural communities are bigots. That's rational... except it isn't. I live in a rural area... my parents live in a rural area.... no bigots that I'm aware of. My cousin's gay - no one gives a shit and he lives in a rural area.

Seems to me you just really love your victim status.

Once my boyfriend and I were walking down a street in San Francisco, doing nothing in particular, just a couple of tourists when a group of gay guys started harassing us. I guess that makes all gays hateful bigots for calling him a breeder and me a bleeder.

Once my boyfriend and I were walking down a street in San Francisco, doing nothing in particular, just a couple of tourists when a group of gay guys started harassing us. I guess that makes all gays hateful bigots for calling him a breeder and me a bleeder.

But....But....But, that's different.

Somehow.

Did I say all people are bigots? No. I said I have personally known of more anti-gay incidents in the county I live in than in my entire life.

I'm sorry you were harassed. It sounds made up. You're telling me that you are a het couple and a group of gay men starting harassing you?

Bogus sounding to me.

Yea, one person insulted you so all people who live in rural communities are bigots. That's rational... except it isn't. I live in a rural area... my parents live in a rural area.... no bigots that I'm aware of. My cousin's gay - no one gives a shit and he lives in a rural area.

Seems to me you just really love your victim status.

This wasn't merely being insulted. I was assaulted too. No, I don't like being a victim of a crime.

It was scary. Imagine a strange man jumping out of the bushes at you hitting you, getting in your face and screaming expletives at the top of his lungs.

Last edited:
How did the attacker know that you are a homosexual?

Walking through London, my late fiance and I were harassed... some assclowns were taunting us because he was mixed race. He was fine and dandy with the insults until they said something derogatory about me personally. The one he got hold of probably learned a valuable lesson. Do not piss off a Marine.

I guess this means that all black guys are assclowns - since the guys who harassed us were black.

He turned out to be a relative of one of my neighbors. We are openly lesbian. We were holding hands.

I had never seen him before and he refused to identify himself.

Last edited:

I know. That's my point.

I'm sorry you were harassed. It sounds made up. You're telling me that you are a het couple and a group of gay men starting harassing you?

Bogus sounding to me.

Actually, as strange as it sounds, straight couples have complained about being harassed by gays in Provincetown for years.

He turned out to be a relative of one of my neighbors. We are openly lesbian. We were holding hands.

I had never seen him before and he refused to identify himself.
What this person did to you was totally wrong, but one thing you should understand is how totally freaky it is to see same sex people being romantic with each other for the first time.

I remember being a teenager and seeing for the first time two guys making out on Santa Monica Blvd, Calif, I almost threw up.

rural area i live in:

the transvestite dude works at the local mickey d's.....he lives in roan mtn tn ....you dont get more redneck than that.....but in the country as redneck as we are....we know one thing.....he is our homegrown transvestite and everyone has known him since he was a kid....this is actually a very gay/lesbian friendly area

in reality the reason most settled in this area .....at one time....was its total disregard for social norms...you could and still can be who you are.....you got a couple of lady friends who happen to both live with you....thats fine....no one will care or question you...married your cousin...well thats still your business....my 70 yr old neighbor still runs with 20 yr old ladies.....no one cares.....a well known catholic real estate broker is having an affair with the local plumber.....has been going on for a decade or more....she still lives with her husband....he knows all about it.....so you can be all about the country folks being bigots but in reality.....we really dont care

leave the kids and farm animals out of it...and you are good to go

Having born and raised in the deep south I found it was not the rural areas where the hate and bigotry was the worst but the small towns of suburbia around blue collar larger cities.
Most rural folks mind their own business.

Forum List

Back