Moon rocket launch tomorrow

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Unmanned of course.

NASA Moon Rocket On Track For Launch Despite Lightning Hits​

NASA's new moon rocket remains on track for a Monday liftoff, despite a series of lightning strikes at the launch pad.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — NASA’s new moon rocket remained on track to blast off on a crucial test flight Monday, despite a series of lightning strikes at the launch pad.
The 322-foot (98-meter) Space Launch System rocket is the most powerful ever built by NASA. It’s poised to send an empty crew capsule into lunar orbit, a half-century after NASA’s Apollo program, which landed 12 astronauts on the moon.

Can we stuff a few hundred Dems inside? Starting with the Clintons, Obozo's, Bushes, Bidens, Pelosi's, and Schumers? Make sure they get front row seating.
You know, it's okay to occasionally _not_ say what the voices are telling you to say. Try it sometime. Especially if the voices are telling you to be a murderous psychopath.

I was hoping the 16 Psyche mission would get out in August, but they didn't have it ready in time, so they'll have to wait at least until late September for another launch window. That's a probe to study a very metal-rich large asteroid. Just how metal-rich is TBD.

Well I've read the Artemis is rated at 8.8 million pounds of thrust. That's more than the Saturn V as I recall.

Artemis is NASA's name for the entire Moon-based program. It is not the name of the lift body.

The SLS has a payload capacity of 154,000 pounds.

The Saturn V had a payload capacity of 310.000 pounds.

Unmanned of course.

NASA's new moon rocket remains on track for a Monday liftoff, despite a series of lightning strikes at the launch pad.

Space is brilliant and spectacular. A reminder of how insignificant we and our entire planet are. All the money wasted on wars and absurdity when we could have colonized mars (maybe?) or cured cancer.

From sub-orbit?
sure
we have much better cameras than we did 50 years ago
it would be nice to see some new earth rise pictures
it gives people a better perspective of how alone the earth is
earthrisedssdcjsldj.jpg

sure
we have much better cameras than we did 50 years ago
it would be nice to see some new earth rise pictures
it gives people a better perspective of how alone the earth is
View attachment 688571

The SLS is a heavy lift body ... it is meant to haul vehicles to an Earth Orbit and then inject them into a TLI (Moon) Orbit. No part of The SLS is designed to ever leave Earth Orbit.

The initial launch test will be sub-orbital. It won't even achieve Earth Orbit.

Unmanned of course.

It was so much easier to send someone to the moon in the past.

1661736765091.png

It appears I was in error. The first flight of the untested SLS will won't be the traditional sub-orbital launch test. It will be a full unmanned flight to LEO then TLI with a three week unmanned mission to orbit The Moon with the also untested Orion CM/SM.

This is, essentially, a re-creation of the 1966 Soviet Luna 6 Moon orbiter mission, but with untested equipment.

I can't pretend to know why, after all this time, and so many failed ground tests of the SLS, between its completion in 2016 and today, that NASA has suddenly decided to bet all the marbles on a full-out lunar orbit mission. Particularly, if this mission is a failure, it will essentially kill any manned Moon mission for the foreseeable future.

But, hey! Good luck anyway.

It appears I was in error. The first flight of the untested SLS will won't be the traditional sub-orbital launch test. It will be a full unmanned flight to LEO then TLI with a three week unmanned mission to orbit The Moon with the also untested Orion CM/SM.

This is, essentially, a re-creation of the 1966 Soviet Luna 6 Moon orbiter mission, but with untested equipment.

I can't pretend to know why, after all this time, and so many failed ground tests of the SLS, between its completion in 2016 and today, that NASA has suddenly decided to bet all the marbles on a full-out lunar orbit mission. Particularly, if this mission is a failure, it will essentially kill any manned Moon mission for the foreseeable future.

But, hey! Good luck anyway.
NASA seems to do much of its testing in private. But they still have to launch a spacecraft to see if their design is true. Elon musk seems to do the opposite. He learns by trying to launch a spacecraft and fix what does not work in front of all.

Forum List

Back