Modest proposal: Drop all history courses from K-12 and replace with STEM courses.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I had an interesting discussion with SuperBadBrutha on CRT and he brought up a very valid point. My point was any CRT related course would likely be biased by the person teaching it. He pointed out that the exact same thing happens in teaching traditional history. I had to agree that was at least possible, if not likely. So my proposal would be to drop history courses altogether and replace them with math or science related courses. Also consider that school kids today are over a year behind where they should be in reading, writing and math. This would help pull the kids back where they need to be in the skills that will propel them through life and their careers. I'm not saying history is unimportant, but it is not as important as the fundamentals where the kids are woefully behind where they need to be.

I had an interesting discussion with SuperBadBrutha on CRT and he brought up a very valid point. My point was any CRT related course would likely be biased by the person teaching it. He pointed out that the exact same thing happens in teaching traditional history. I had to agree that was at least possible, if not likely. So my proposal would be to drop history courses altogether and replace them with math or science related courses. Also consider that school kids today are over a year behind where they should be in reading, writing and math. This would help pull the kids back where they need to be in the skills that will propel them through life and their careers. I'm not saying history is unimportant, but it is not as important as the fundamentals where the kids are woefully behind where they need to be.

People need to understand history. To what extent is debatable.

Yes, you are.

Santayanna quote, "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana"

Like I said, I'm not saying history is unimportant but given the current fight over traditional history and CRT/1619 based history and how far behind US kids are in the basics, replacing with STEM courses seems a good option.
Better to drop music and sports (they can be privately funded and coached after school hours and on weekends. This will free up money that can be used to hire better teachers.
Whites can be taught traditional white history, blacks, black history. Everyone is happy. :)

Better to drop music and sports (they can be privately funded and coached after school hours and on weekends. This will free up money that can be used to hire better teachers.
Whites can be taught traditional white history, blacks, black history. Everyone is happy. :)
I respectfully disagree. My proposal is to help students catch up on their lagging skills in the basics without much downside. Your suggestion would not help in that regard and create even more racial division.

I respectfully disagree. My proposal is to help students catch up on their lagging skills in the basics without much downside. Your suggestion would not help in that regard and create even more racial division.
That was also my proposal. Sports, music, and alternate history aren't 'basics'.

Forum List

Back