MMMMM, a 40 Ton Fatburger, it's Whats for Dinner!

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
OMG, I saw this just before dinner and now I cant eat, lol.

London sewer’s 40-ton fatberg cleared after 3 weeks, debris removed by hand, officials say

British engineers have finally cleared a massive 40-ton block of waste known as a “fatberg” from a South London sewer after spending three weeks chiseling down the clog, officials said.

Engineers with Thames Water, a private utility company serving the London area, used high-powered water jets that blast the congealed blockage loose, the company said in a news release Wednesday. Workers then removed the debris, a combination of fat, grease and other materials, by hand.

“This was a massive and disgusting blockage that took a great deal of effort and teamwork to clear and get the sewer working well again,” said Matt Rimmer, Thames Water’s head of waste networks.

The mammoth clog, discovered earlier this year, weighed the same as three of London’s famed red double-decker buses and took up as much as 80 percent of the sewer’s capacity, the news release said. If the huge blob wasn’t handled, it could have grown even bigger, causing sewage to back up into homes and businesses. It could have also harmed the environment.

Fatbergs are formed when grease, fat and oil are disposed of down sinks or other drains and fuse with “unflushable” items like wet wipes, diapers and cotton swabs, according to Thames Water.

“We’d urge everyone to help fight the fatberg by only flushing the 3Ps -- pee, poo and paper -- as well as disposing of fat and oils in the bin, not the sink,” Rimmer said.

Several enormous fatbergs have popped up in England over the past several years.​

I get it though. My first job (illegal and underage at least first job) involved cleaning the kitchen at my neighbor's very greasy spoon dive dinner. Some of that crap that was built up on the backs and sides of the equipment was damn near impossible to get off it had been there so long.

I get it though. My first job (illegal and underage at least first job) involved cleaning the kitchen at my neighbor's very greasy spoon dive dinner. Some of that crap that was built up on the backs and sides of the equipment was damn near impossible to get off it had been there so long.

I got m y first job illegally by lying that I was 16 when I was really 14, bu t I had to clean the greasy floors of the kitchen and behind the fridges, ovens, etc.

Then there were the grease catching air filters over the grill and the grease traps in the drainage and under the old dishwasher.
There was like three or four 5 gallon buckets worth of grease in that masonry grease trap, and 45 years later I can still smell that smell of stale old grayish greasy filth.

The owner did not want to just pump it out, as he sold it to a pig farmer, lol.

I got m y first job illegally by lying that I was 16 when I was really 14, bu t I had to clean the greasy floors of the kitchen and behind the fridges, ovens, etc.

Then there were the grease catching air filters over the grill and the grease traps in the drainage and under the old dishwasher.
There was like three or four 5 gallon buckets worth of grease in that masonry grease trap, and 45 years later I can still smell that smell of stale old grayish greasy filth.

The owner did not want to just pump it out, as he sold it to a pig farmer, lol.

Oh he knew I was 14. He didn't care and neither did anybody who came in whose job it was to care as long as their lunches were usually free. The only reason he wanted it clean wasn't because of the health inspector. It was because his insurance company was threatening to drop him if he didn't do something about the stuff. And yes it is why I will almost never fry anything except in olive or coconut oil. Those are the only two that don't gag me just smelling it after that summer.

OMG, I saw this just before dinner and now I cant eat, lol.

London sewer’s 40-ton fatberg cleared after 3 weeks, debris removed by hand, officials say

British engineers have finally cleared a massive 40-ton block of waste known as a “fatberg” from a South London sewer after spending three weeks chiseling down the clog, officials said.

Engineers with Thames Water, a private utility company serving the London area, used high-powered water jets that blast the congealed blockage loose, the company said in a news release Wednesday. Workers then removed the debris, a combination of fat, grease and other materials, by hand.

“This was a massive and disgusting blockage that took a great deal of effort and teamwork to clear and get the sewer working well again,” said Matt Rimmer, Thames Water’s head of waste networks.

The mammoth clog, discovered earlier this year, weighed the same as three of London’s famed red double-decker buses and took up as much as 80 percent of the sewer’s capacity, the news release said. If the huge blob wasn’t handled, it could have grown even bigger, causing sewage to back up into homes and businesses. It could have also harmed the environment.

Fatbergs are formed when grease, fat and oil are disposed of down sinks or other drains and fuse with “unflushable” items like wet wipes, diapers and cotton swabs, according to Thames Water.

“We’d urge everyone to help fight the fatberg by only flushing the 3Ps -- pee, poo and paper -- as well as disposing of fat and oils in the bin, not the sink,” Rimmer said.

Several enormous fatbergs have popped up in England over the past several years.​
And here I thought it was another thread on fat donnie.

Forum List

Back