MLB All-Star Game yanked from Georgia over voting law

Are you upset that they are actually against Jim Crow 2.0. It was folks like you that were pissed when they integrated baseball, so it is just par for the course.

Actually, Branch Rickey was a conservative Republican.

The leftists were the ones that opposed breaking the color barrier.

Actually it was white, conservatives that opposed breaking the color barrier.

The lies come pouring in, it was a Republican Branch Rickey who went out of his way to break the Color barrier, Jackie Robinson was a lifelong Republican too, he says so in his own book.

The Jackie Robinson Republicans

Stop lying!

Not sure where the book says that, and I don't see a quote, but I do see this -- in your own link:

>> Robinson supported those Republicans, such as Nelson Rockefeller and Jacob Javits, who championed civil rights, and opposed those in the GOP who ignored black concerns. Thus, in 1960 Robinson campaigned for Richard Nixon in his losing race against John F. Kennedy, citing Nixon’s support for the 1957 Civil Rights Act, which Kennedy and many other Democrats opposed. And in 1964, Robinson served as deputy national director of the Rockefeller for President campaign, as he had earlier served in Rockefeller’s gubernatorial races. When Barry Goldwater won the nomination,and ignored Robinson,he became a political independent.​
This should have served as an early lesson for the GOP. When a staunch Republican like Jackie Robinson loses faith, it should have raised a red flag about their relationship with the black community. Today’s GOP, which continues to be perceived as an enemy of civil rights, would do well to recall the Robinson story. <<​

It does seem "he became a political independent" would be at odds with the phrase "lifelong Republican". Since that's all from your own link I guess your link contradicted itself.

J.R. actually anticipated the infamous Southern Strategy, in 1963 --
>> “The danger of the Republican Party being taken over by the lily-whitest conservatives is more serious than many people realize.” <<​

This was when he was souring on Richard Nixon, after pleading with RN to intervene to help Martin Luther King Jr, who had been sent to hard labor --- again in Georgia --- over a traffic ticket. Candidate Nixon passed on the idea, candidate Kennedy didn't.

Moreover, from the same autobiography quoted here, he anticipated Colin Kaepernick:

>> Today, as I look back on that opening game of my first World Series, I must tell you that it was Mr. Rickey’s drama and that I was only a principal actor. As I write this twenty years later, I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag; I know that I am a black man in a white world. In 1972, in 1947, at my birth in 1919, I know that I never had it made. <<​

So yeah, invoking Jackie Robinson here (who btw came from Georgia) is an interesting choice.

Ha ha ha, you can't change the fact the Robinson was a Republican for most of his life, and that he along with another Republican worked together to break the color barrier. They did it as REPUBLICANS! :oops-28:

Uhnh nnnnnnno. They didn't. They did it as baseball people. One as a player, the other as a GM. Breaking the "gentlemen's agreement" never required any politics at all. Prove me wrong. Show the class where anybody's political party made that color line go away. For that matter show the class where anybody's political party kept it there for 60 years in the first place. Especially considering there were no MLB teams in the South until 1966.

This should be fun.

I was a Democrat for years, then changed to Independent in the early 1990's, NEVER was a republican [sic] at anytime, people do change because of something, but Robinson was NEVER a Democrat.... :rolleyes:

Didn't say he was, wouldn't know and wouldn't care as it is (see above) IRRELEVANT. As is your own history. However it was **YOU** who wrote, on this board in this thread, that JR was a, quote, "lifelong Republican", and then presented a link that contradicted that. All I did was read your link. You made a claim and shot it in the foot, all in the same post. I guess it's a talent.

Thus you have little here to work with but YOU can't deny that it was the Republicans who broke the color barrier..... :oops-28:

Sure I can. ANYBODY can. Another job for Captain Obvious.

"Republican" is not some kind of species. It's a political party. It's used for running for an office. And once AGAIN there was no political party, no election, no referendum, no political office, nothing political in the world at all, that broke the baseball color line. People IN baseball did that, by defying the unwritten "gentlemen's agreement". Which was never a law and never a political position. And ergo required no politics and no parties to either sustain or abolish.

Again --- prove me wrong.

By the way I read my link, you are dishonest here.....

I actually QUOTED your link. Verbatim.

But hey since you're so fond of Ass-ociation Fallacies you might want to consider that Bill Veeck was positioned to do the Branch Rickey before Rickey did it. He described getting into position to buy the sad-sack Phillies in 1943 and stock it with players from the Negro Leagues. Aaaand cut mad scramble to find out what Bill Veeck's political party affiliation was, and brace yourself for the possibility that like most people --------- he didn't have one. Because (AGAIN) you don't need a political party to run a baseball team. Technically you don't even need one to run for office (e.g. Bernie Sanders, Angus King). On the other hand if you're not running for office, a political party affiliation gives you no benefit whatsoever. And that's why more people have no party than have either a "Democrat" or "Republican" label. The same reason people who live in Wyoming don't tend to own yachts. There's no point.
I have a Jackie Robinson autograph Got it at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn

Are you upset that they are actually against Jim Crow 2.0. It was folks like you that were pissed when they integrated baseball, so it is just par for the course.
I don't know. You would need to ask New Yorkers who have had the EXACT same law on the books for years.
Other states too.
But I get it - you can't virtue signal when the home state is one of your own.
Can you actually show us the parts of Georgia
Election law that is claimed by you to be EXACTLY THE SAME as New York Election law?

Have you actually compared the two states election law?

Or are you just repeating something your right wing media is pushing?

Or are you saying just one single part of NY election law and Georgia election law???

Regardless of the merits or demerits of the Georgia bill, the facts are that the matter was highly contested. Is it really a smart idea for a business like MLB to take a partisan political stand and tell millions of fans to "fuck off"?
Yes, it is okay, for the sake of the country, and everyone's uninhibited right to vote and choose, their leaders..... Not the leader's right to choose their voters...that does not exist as a right.

MLB is being pretty hypocritical here, however.

They are still refusing to remove the Atlanta team from Georgia and move them to Far Left North Caroliina or Virginia.

If they were serious about voting rights, that would be the least they could do.
They don't want to hurt Georgia, they just want Georgia to stop trying to hurt the minority voters, or a second Jim Crow era... They'd be back in a nano second....

Republicans take a lot of donations from these corporations dissing them now for their nationwide movement to reduce voters that lean democratic or are of color....not just in Georgia....

This is a systematic plan to reduce voting access nationwide, by Republicans.

Wouldn't it be better for MLB to withdraw from Georgia at least until they change- if the MLB was serious?

They can always move back in a nanosecond, no?

In the mean time, they can play their games in a Deep Blue State that follows their corporation's liberal ideology.

No. Teams can't just pick up and move in a nanosecond. Besides which, MLB isn't in Georgia. The Braves are in Georgia. They have a franchise, which is a contract. Now, that could be rescinded and/or moved, sure, but you don't do that in terms of nanoseconds. You've got a fixed object (a stadium), with ITS contracts, you've got an entire marketing empire with ITS contracts. You've got other facilities including nearby minor league operations in the same state, with all their contractual tentacles.

But you know who very easily COULD pick up and move? Some business that doesn't require it to stay in the same fixed location. Maybe some business that actually even dabbles in transportation. Like Delta Airlines.

Last edited:
It doesnt really sound like a big deal to me. But it seems that every year the people who run these southern states do something dumb which repel businesses who live in the modern world.

If you employ Gays or women or minorities you do not want to set up shop somewhere that they get treated like shit. Thats just business sense.

It doesnt really sound like a big deal to me. But it seems that every year the people who run these southern states do something dumb which repel businesses who live in the modern world.

If you employ Gays or women or minorities you do not want to set up shop somewhere that they get treated like shit. Thats just business sense.

Your comment is completely meaningless.

MLB just smacked the black community.

Good job.

NEW YORK (AP) — Atlanta lost Major League Baseball’s summer All-Star Game on Friday over the league’s objections to sweeping changes to Georgia voting laws that critics — including the CEOs of Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines and Coca-Cola — have condemned as being too restrictive.

The decision to pull the July 13 game from Atlanta’s Truist Park amounts to the first economic backlash against Georgia for the voting law that Republican Gov. Brian Kemp quickly signed into law March 25.

Kemp has insisted the law’s critics have mischaracterized what it does...

Clearly Baseball wants to go the way of other sports, alienating their fan base, instead of taking care of business...MLB joins the ranks of other businesses in Atlanta such as Delta, and Coca Cola in embrassing the "Woke" culture today, and insulting half the country....Is this a good move? What say you? Should business have a say in legislation that doesn't have anything to do with their business? And what of liberal progressives who were just 5 minutes ago railing against corporations now defending their actions....?

~~~~~~

"The birth of Coca-Cola begins in the late 19th century with a man named Dr. John Stith Pemberton, a slave owner who worked in medicine and fought as a Confederate soldier in the American Civil War".

Last edited:

The lies come pouring in, it was a Republican Branch Rickey who went out of his way to break the Color barrier, Jackie Robinson was a lifelong Republican too, he says so in his own book.

Stop lying!

Not sure where the book says that, and I don't see a quote, but I do see this -- in your own link:

>> Robinson supported those Republicans, such as Nelson Rockefeller and Jacob Javits, who championed civil rights, and opposed those in the GOP who ignored black concerns. Thus, in 1960 Robinson campaigned for Richard Nixon in his losing race against John F. Kennedy, citing Nixon’s support for the 1957 Civil Rights Act, which Kennedy and many other Democrats opposed. And in 1964, Robinson served as deputy national director of the Rockefeller for President campaign, as he had earlier served in Rockefeller’s gubernatorial races. When Barry Goldwater won the nomination,and ignored Robinson,he became a political independent.​
This should have served as an early lesson for the GOP. When a staunch Republican like Jackie Robinson loses faith, it should have raised a red flag about their relationship with the black community. Today’s GOP, which continues to be perceived as an enemy of civil rights, would do well to recall the Robinson story. <<​

It does seem "he became a political independent" would be at odds with the phrase "lifelong Republican". Since that's all from your own link I guess your link contradicted itself.

>> “The danger of the Republican Party being taken over by the lily-whitest conservatives is more serious than many people realize.” <<​

This was when he was souring on Richard Nixon, after pleading with RN to intervene to help Martin Luther King Jr, who had been sent to hard labor --- again in Georgia --- over a traffic ticket. Candidate Nixon passed on the idea, candidate Kennedy didn't.

Moreover, from the same autobiography quoted here, he anticipated Colin Kaepernick:

>> Today, as I look back on that opening game of my first World Series, I must tell you that it was Mr. Rickey’s drama and that I was only a principal actor. As I write this twenty years later, I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag; I know that I am a black man in a white world. In 1972, in 1947, at my birth in 1919, I know that I never had it made. <<​

So yeah, invoking Jackie Robinson here (who btw came from Georgia) is an interesting choice.

Ha ha ha, you can't change the fact the Robinson was a Republican for most of his life, and that he along with another Republican worked together to break the color barrier. They did it as REPUBLICANS! :oops-28:

Uhnh nnnnnnno. They didn't. They did it as baseball people. One as a player, the other as a GM. Breaking the "gentlemen's agreement" never required any politics at all. Prove me wrong. Show the class where anybody's political party made that color line go away. For that matter show the class where anybody's political party kept it there for 60 years in the first place. Especially considering there were no MLB teams in the South until 1966.

This should be fun.

I was a Democrat for years, then changed to Independent in the early 1990's, NEVER was a republican [sic] at anytime, people do change because of something, but Robinson was NEVER a Democrat.... :rolleyes:

Didn't say he was, wouldn't know and wouldn't care as it is (see above) IRRELEVANT. As is your own history. However it was **YOU** who wrote, on this board in this thread, that JR was a, quote, "lifelong Republican", and then presented a link that contradicted that. All I did was read your link. You made a claim and shot it in the foot, all in the same post. I guess it's a talent.

Thus you have little here to work with but YOU can't deny that it was the Republicans who broke the color barrier..... :oops-28:

"Republican" is not some kind of species. It's a political party. It's used for running for an office. And once AGAIN there was no political party, no election, no referendum, no political office, nothing political in the world at all, that broke the baseball color line. People IN baseball did that, by defying the unwritten "gentlemen's agreement". Which was never a law and never a political position. And ergo required no politics and no parties to either sustain or abolish.

But hey since you're so fond of Ass-ociation Fallacies you might want to consider that Bill Veeck was positioned to do the Branch Rickey before Rickey did it. He described getting into position to buy the sad-sack Phillies in 1943 and stock it with players from the Negro Leagues. Aaaand cut mad scramble to find out what Bill Veeck's political party affiliation was, and brace yourself for the possibility that like most people --------- he didn't have one. Because (AGAIN) you don't need a political party to run a baseball team. Technically you don't even need one to run for office (e.g. Bernie Sanders, Angus King). On the other hand if you're not running for office, a political party affiliation gives you no benefit whatsoever. And that's why more people have no party than have either a "Democrat" or "Republican" label. The same reason people who live in Wyoming don't tend to own yachts. There's no point.
I have a Jackie Robinson autograph Got it at Ebbetts Field in Brooklyn

DAYUM. You just won the internets. Please don't tell us you were at Woodstock too....

Stop lying!

This should be fun.

I have a Jackie Robinson autograph Got it at Ebbetts Field in Brooklyn

DAYUM. You just won the internets. Please don't tell us you were at Woodstock too....
LOL almost but I told some friends I wasn't going I will tell you Pete O'Malley was a boy hood friend If you know who he was

And Sandy Koufax was a frat brother at Pi Lamda Pi in Cincy although I missed him by a year or 2

Oh? how so? Do you not believe that the integrity of the vote is important?
I love it. I'm with you. I reckon the integrity of the US vote is so important that illiterates should not be able to vote. Of course, that will have to be tested.

And Sandy Koufax was a frat brother at Pi Lamda Pi in Cincy although I missed him by a year or 2

Koufax was the most intimidating pitcher ever.

What they used to do in Philadelphia, the team brass would walk outside and go, "beautiful day isn't it Al?" Al says "oh yeah, great day for a ball game. Who's pitching for the Dodgers?"

"Koufax".

"Koufax huh. Say look way waaay over there, in the sky --- isn't that a cloud?"

"It's hard to see but yeah it could be a cloud. We'd better postpone the game. Might rain".

Punish baseball fans and intentionally impact the economy of the state of Georgia in a negative way during hard times because the federal government doesn't like a (legal) voting reform law? Does the word fascism come to mind?

What they used to do in Philadelphia, the team brass would walk outside and go, "beautiful day isn't it Al?" Al says "oh yeah, great day for a ball game. Who's pitching for the Dodgers?"

"Koufax".

"It's hard to see but yeah it could be a cloud. We'd better postpone the game. Might rain".
Pogo I remember Spahn and Sain and 2 days of rain

"Koufax".

"Spahn and Sain and pray for rain", yep. Spahn was a real challenge too. I remember Juan Marichál and his extreme windup, Bob Gibson...

Punish baseball fans and intentionally impact the economy of the state of Georgia in a negative way during hard times because the federal government doesn't like a (legal) voting reform law? Does the word fascism come to mind?

Why no actually. But you know what comes to mind after reading your post --- "partisan hack".

"Koufax".

"Spahn and Sain and pray for rain", yep. Spahn was a real challenge too. I remember Juan Marichál and his extreme windup, Bob Gibson...
2 of the best Curt Simmons wasn't bad either and I remember Preacher Rowe with the dodgers having a 21 and 3 year I also remember hurting my head on a ceiling when Bobby Thomson hit that HR off of Ralph Branca

When will pro sports learn from Michael Jordan that “Republicans buy sneakers too”.
I think they learnt from Nike, whose sales boomed after Kaepernick.

really? Nike has sneakers where people line up at ODark thirty outside stores for the latest release. They should have learned from the NBA who embraced divisive BLM and their ratings tanked. Back to Kaepernick, the NFL backed him and most of the fans with money started burning jerseys.

there is hope.... the NHL will learn from these fuckup mistakes that hurt business.

Forum List

Back