MIT study: Subways a ‘major disseminator’ of coronavirus in NYC

Doc7505

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2016

16 Apr 2020 ~~ By David Meyer
A new study argues that city subways and buses were a “major disseminator” of the coronavirus in the Big Apple.
The paper, by MIT economics professor and physician Jeffrey Harris, points to a parallel between high ridership “and the rapid, exponential surge in infections” in the first two weeks of March — when the subways were still packed with up to 5 million riders per day — as well as between turnstile entries and virus hotspots.
“New York City’s multitentacled subway system was a major disseminator — if not the principal transmission vehicle — of coronavirus infection during the initial takeoff of the massive epidemic,” argues Harris, who works as a physician in Massachusetts.
While the study concedes that the data “cannot by itself answer question of causation,” Harris says the conditions of a typical subway car or bus match up with the current understanding of how the virus spreads.
“We know that close contact in subways is fully consistent with the spread of coronavirus, either by inhalable droplets or residual fomites left on railings, pivoted grab handles, and those smooth, metallic, vertical poles that everyone shares,” he writes.:

Comment:
Ever get on a subway car at 7:00 or 8:00 AM to get to work? Hmmm, like packing them into sardine cans... For a virus like the Flu or Wuhan Covid-19 t's the ideal petri dish to spread viruses.... We look at NYC as a source, but the transit systems in Chicago, California's BART, Boston's MBTA, DC's Metro System etc., all are the means by which the virus has been able to spread easily.

A new study argues that city subways and buses were a “major disseminator” of the coronavirus in the Big Apple.
The paper, by MIT economics professor and physician Jeffrey Harris, points to a parallel between high ridership “and the rapid, exponential surge in infections” in the first two weeks of March — when the subways were still packed with up to 5 million riders per day — as well as between turnstile entries and virus hotspots.
“New York City’s multitentacled subway system was a major disseminator — if not the principal transmission vehicle — of coronavirus infection during the initial takeoff of the massive epidemic,” argues Harris, who works as a physician in Massachusetts.
While the study concedes that the data “cannot by itself answer question of causation,” Harris says the conditions of a typical subway car or bus match up with the current understanding of how the virus spreads.
“We know that close contact in subways is fully consistent with the spread of coronavirus, either by inhalable droplets or residual fomites left on railings, pivoted grab handles, and those smooth, metallic, vertical poles that everyone shares,” he writes.:

Comment:
Ever get on a subway car at 7:00 or 8:00 AM to get to work? Hmmm, like packing them into sardine cans... For a virus like the Flu or Wuhan Covid-19 t's the ideal petri dish to spread viruses.... We look at NYC as a source, but the transit systems in Chicago, California's BART, Boston's MBTA, DC's Metro System etc., all are the means by which the virus has been able to spread easily.
This is heresy

liberals LOVE mass transit

Comment:
This is heresy

Of course it is.. Then again I'm not Liberal a try my best to speak the truth... I also have the experience of dealing with treating patients during the 1957 Swine Flu pandemic and active TB patients...

Comment:
Ya think?

Even I could have told us that.

Comment:
Makes sense.

Comment:
This is heresy

Of course it is.. Then again I'm not Liberal a try my best to speak the truth... I also have the experience of dealing with treating patients during the 1957 Swine Flu pandemic and active TB patients...
I didnt call you a liberal

Comment:
This is heresy

I wasn't referring to you in that statement, I was generalizing.. No offense meant...

Comment:
This is heresy

I wasn't referring to you in that statement, I was generalizing.. No offense meant...
Same here

My god, I can't believe Trump didn't close down the subways weeks ago !!!!!
Is there anything this man won't do in order to kill more people ?!!!!!
Maybe he thought he was closing down the subways, when he closed down all the Subway sandwich shops !!

And by the way, it doesn't take an MIT study to figure this one out. I mean DUH !!!

1587143620649.png

Comment:

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it ...they did a study years ago on what would happen to nyc during a biological attack ...the best place to release it .....subway

Comment:

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it ...they did a study years ago on what would happen to nyc during a biological attack ...the best place to release it .....subway

Yes, and you might remember this:

My god, I can't believe Trump didn't close down the subways weeks ago !!!!!
Is there anything this man won't do in order to kill more people ?!!!!!
Maybe he thought he was closing down the subways, when he closed down all the Subway sandwich shops !!

That would be overstepping his authority, however in each of those Blue Plantation cities mentioned is a "Democrat Mayor" and they didn't have the sense or sensibility to shut down the best means to spread the Wuhan Covid-19. That goes for the Buses and local transit systems. However, all we hear from the Blue State Governors and Mayors is that Trump is not doing enough or he's violating State sovereignty meanwhile they sit on their hands saying woe is me.

So shut the subway system down, Cuomo!
But the sheriff's in California will chase down a lone paddle board guy to keep him out of the ocean.
And in Michigan Whitmer will stop anyone from using a lawn mower.

So stupidly inconsistent.

Cuomo refuses to shut them down...................but he finally realized a day ago that the trains should be cleaned.

What a moron. :iyfyus.jpg:

Forum List

Back