Mississippi’s New Anti-LGBT Law Is the Most Dangerous One To Be Passed Yet

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Mississippi could lose $Billions as a result of this law. For the poorest state, that's a big deal.

Why Mississippi’s New Anti-LGBT Law Is the Most Dangerous One To Be Passed Yet

If you are religiously opposed to other people having non-marital sex, Mississippi's "religious freedom" law could be the law for you.

On Tuesday morning, Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant signed into law HB 1523—the “Protecting Freedom of Conscience from Government Discrimination Act”—one of the most sweeping of the nation’s “religious liberty” bills that are making the rounds in numerous red-state capitals this year. In the press they are often referred to as “anti-LGBT bills,” because they would give legal cover to those who want to discriminate against LGBT people out of “sincerely held religious belief.” Critics such as Ben Needham, director of Human Rights Campaign’s Project One America, has said the measure is “probably the worst religious freedom bill to date.” But there is an even more radical agenda behind these bills, and the atrocious attempt to deprive LGBT Americans of their rights is only a part of it.
<more>

Standing up for basic freedoms is not a "radical agenda"! Guys dressing up like women and guys b*******ing each other are behaviors not an ethnic group. People shouldn't be forced to celebrate these behaviors. Bakers, florists, photographers, etc. should not be bankrupted or imprisoned because they refuse to submit to the PC thought police. Arrogant corporate bosses should not try to impose their "values" on the people.

Mississippi Passes Religious-Freedom Law

Last edited:
Mississippi could lose $Billions as a result of this law. For the poorest state, that's a big deal.

If you are religiously opposed to other people having non-marital sex, Mississippi's "religious freedom" law could be the law for you.

On Tuesday morning, Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant signed into law HB 1523—the “Protecting Freedom of Conscience from Government Discrimination Act”—one of the most sweeping of the nation’s “religious liberty” bills that are making the rounds in numerous red-state capitals this year. In the press they are often referred to as “anti-LGBT bills,” because they would give legal cover to those who want to discriminate against LGBT people out of “sincerely held religious belief.” Critics such as Ben Needham, director of Human Rights Campaign’s Project One America, has said the measure is “probably the worst religious freedom bill to date.” But there is an even more radical agenda behind these bills, and the atrocious attempt to deprive LGBT Americans of their rights is only a part of it.
<more>

If I own a bakery and some queer couple walks in and wants me to bake a cake with two dudes or two chicks wax figures and it is against my belief system? Why shouldn't I invoke my right to refuse service because after all, it is MY business and I have a much higher power to answer to that trumps the federal "gubermint". Queers make up less than 2 percent of the population but yet the Rockefeller foundation has trumpeted their cause in order to bring about division. Marriage under admiralty law is nothing but the merger of two corporate entities while making the state a third party entity. If I ever decide to get married again, I will not purchase a marriage license because I do not need the permission of the "state" in order to commit my life to someone....get it now?

Dear Political Junky and Thunderbird
There are faith-based beliefs on both sides of these debates.
That is why the founding laws included the wisdom of NOT letting govt get involved in anything religious or faith based -- if the govt is forced to take sides then someone's beliefs are going to get excluded. So that is why we are supposed to keep religion and faith-based beliefs OUT OF GOVT.

Once you start pushing DOMA or same sex marriage, once you write a policy specifying either support or rejection of certain orientations, this opens the door for endless conflict because neither side can get their way.
It should be left out of govt and kept in the hands of people to work out for themselves.

We don't have govt dictating how funerals, baptisms or communions are conducted. We KNOW to keep these PRIVATE so the people retain full control of how they want to conduct their rituals and relationships.

Why do we hand marriage over to govt while arguing for separation of church and state and demands for privacy? This is contradictory!

Either we AGREE on public policy or we keep private issues private.

We cannot have it both ways.

We cannot cling to our private beliefs, disparage or deny the beliefs of others, then abuse govt to try to force one way or another.

You can see the unresolved hoopla going back and forth without end.

That's why we keep faith based personal beliefs out of govt.
There is not going to be one way to establish for all people or that's imposing a nationalized religion not all people agree with.

The point of religious freedom in the First Amendment is to AVOID that!
The intent of equal protection of the laws is to PREVENT discrimination, instead of the discrimination here by creed when both sides fight to get their beliefs legislated and endorsed through govt. Unconstitutional either way. Both sides will have to agree where to draw the line and back off.

<more>

If I own a bakery and some queer couple walks in and wants me to bake a cake with two dudes or two chicks wax figures and it is against my belief system? Why shouldn't I invoke my right to refuse service because after all, it is MY business and I have a much higher power to answer to that trumps the federal "gubermint". Queers make up less than 2 percent of the population but yet the Rockefeller foundation has trumpeted their cause in order to bring about division. Marriage under admiralty law is nothing but the merger of two corporate entities while making the state a third party entity. If I ever decide to get married again, I will not purchase a marriage license because I do not need the permission of the "state" in order to commit my life to someone....get it now?

Dear Dale Smith
The way to make this work is to set up a waiver similar to arbitration agreements, but require customers and businesses to agree to mediation if they are going to do business together. If mediation fails to resolve a conflict, that's the reason for both parties to void a contract.

it should not focus on faulting one belief or justifying another.
The disclaimer that lets people out of contracts should be based on "unresolved conflicts" regardless which side believes what. The fact that they DISAGREE and CANNOT RECONCILE is reason enough to refrain from further contact or contracts together. Like a no fault divorce.

Standing up for basic freedoms is not a "radical agenda"! Guys dressing up like women and guys b*******ing each other are behaviors not an ethnic group. People shouldn't be forced to celebrate these behaviors. Bakers, florists, photographers, etc. should not be bankrupted or imprisoned because they refuse to submit to the PC thought police. Arrogant corporate bosses should not try to impose their "values" on the people.

Mississippi Passes Religious-Freedom Law

That's OK. Nobody said you have to like it. You just have to do it. The Mississippi law will be struck down soon.

<more>

2%? The Right keeps shrinking that percentage.

<more>

I can't imagine many women wanting to marry a crazy anyway.

Here's Camille Paglia discussing gay activists: “To express yourself in a magazine in an interview — this is the level of punitive PC, utterly fascist, utterly Stalinist, OK, that my liberal colleagues in the Democratic Party and on college campuses have supported and promoted over the last several decades,”

“This is the whole legacy of free speech 1960’s that have been lost by my own party.”

“I think that this intolerance by gay activists toward the full spectrum of human beliefs is a sign of immaturity, juvenility,”

Here's Andrew Sullivan: “The guy who had the gall to express his First Amendment rights and favor Prop 8 in California by donating $1,000 has just been scalped by some gay activists,”

“Will he now be forced to walk through the streets in shame?” “Why not the stocks? The whole episode disgusts me — as it should disgust anyone interested in a tolerant and diverse society.”

“If this is the gay rights movement today — hounding our opponents with a fanaticism more like the religious right than anyone else — then count me out,”

“If we are about intimidating the free speech of others, we are no better than the anti-gay bullies who came before us.”

<more>

I know more than you....infinitely more. You wouldn't be able to comprehend or grasp the things that I know. You lack the intellect, kiddo......

<more>

2%? The Right keeps shrinking that percentage.

I am neither left or right....body in the middle controls both....try again. I know more than you.

<more>

I know more than you....infinitely more. You wouldn't be able to comprehend or grasp the things that I know. You lack the intellect, kiddo......

OK. Tell me what I'm thinking now.

Both sides will have to agree where to draw the line and back off.
I see your point. Don't you think at present the PC fanatics are more prone to endanger liberty?

Yes and no. They do more damage politically because they actually pass laws that penalize people and are getting enforced causing real damage.

But for spiritual freedom, the Constitutionalists and Christians I know still draw their empowerment from a higher source than govt, so they don't depend on govt to invoke authority to rebuke and correct these wrongs.

The infringement is on the political level but not necessarily in spirit unless we let it victimize us on that level. If we don't forgive it does trap us in anger and ill will, spinning in circles. If we can forgive these treacheries and rise above, we become even more empowered to invoke corrections and restore that which was lost or deprived/denied to us.

it's still difficult, but from what I've seen, the bigger the injustice, the bigger the benefits when it is forgiven and resolved.

These wrongs will be turned into rights.
So yes, temporarily there is terrible damage. But in the end the good will outweigh the bad and the victory will be greater than the victimhood.

BTW how much more damaging was the rightwing support of catastrophic destruction of Iraqi civilian life in order to fight the terrorists who were tied to the global war going on beyond borders and nationality? The cost of that also imposed a heavy sacrifice on the part of innocent people, a deep social and spiritual cost.

Isn't that as dangerous if not more given the radioactive materials with longlasting ill effects on both vets and civilian and collateral damage?

So if you look at the wages of sin on both sides, there are pluses and minuses, for everything good there is something bad. The Christian and Conservative Right may offer saving grace and much needed unified enforcement of laws worldwide, but the cost of war also has its tolls.
For all the lives saved, there are also more deaths on a collective scale.

In the end, it comes out even. each person, each group each nation has as much wrong in our history as we have good things to contribute to the whole. We take the good, forgive the bad, and try to improve in the future. We all need to correct our weaknesses, no matter what side that falls on.

<more>

OK. Tell me what I'm thinking now.

You are thinking these people don't know what you are thinking.
There's no way they can know that. They're full of it thinking they do.

<more>

OK. Tell me what I'm thinking now.[/QUOT

WTF does that have to do with what I posted? Are you brain damaged?

Forum List

Back