Minn. lawmaker: Fair-pay bill makes women look like ‘whiners’

If we have had a Fair Pay Act since 1963 then why are women still paid less than men for the same jobs in 2014?

Because you only have 180 days from the date you are hired to file a claim, and because of the secrecy that a lot of employers have concerning their pay scales, many people won't find out they're underpaid when compared to their peers until much later than that.

Incidentally, in Texas, women only make about 79 percent of what their male counterparts make. In a middle income family, that can equate to around 6,000 dollars per year LESS than what a man makes.

6,000 dollars is a nice family vacation or half a car.

No you do not have 180 days from the date you are HIRED. You have 180 days from the date of discovery, or from the date on which the basis of the claim could reasonably have been discovered, which is limited further by a statute of limitations governing the entire action. Lily Ledbetter did not make her discovery until some years after she retired and was not only barred by the 180 day claim period but the statute of limitations.

If someone fails to file the claim within the 180 day period but is still within the statute of limitations period, it is easily resolved by an application for leave to file late claim. Once the statute goes, there is nothing that can save it. That's what Ledbetter was up against.

Don't need a fair pay bill. All you need to do is actually enforce The Fair Pay Act of 1963. It simply prevents wage discrimination based on gender.

Actually, the Fair Pay Act only gives you 180 days from the date of employment to file a claim. The Ledbetter Act allows you to file a claim when you find out, even if it is over the 180 day expiration date.

Ms. Ledbetter worked at her company for several years before finding out that her male counterparts were being paid more. The Ledbetter Act has no expiration date, so you can file when you find out.

Additionally, that particular sentiment isn't just from the GOP in MN, it's also the sentiment of the GOP in TX (and was said by a woman no less)........................

Texas Republican Party Executive Director Beth Cubriel argued on Monday that women should stop using laws like the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act to help them achieve equal pay, and that they should become “better negotiators” like men instead.

In an interview over the weekend, Cari Christman, who leads the GOP political action committee RedState Women, told WFAA that equal pay lays were not “practical” because women were “extremely busy.”

“We don’t believe the Lilly Ledbetter Act is what’s going to solve that problem for women. We believe that women want real-world solutions to this problem, not more rhetoric,” she said. “If you look at it, women are… extremely busy, we lead busy lives… And so when we look at this issue, we think, what’s practical?”

On Monday, YNN’s Capital Tonight asked Cubriel to explain why the Republican Party opposed equal pay laws.

“Is it really fair to clog up the courts with litigation that you can take through another avenue?” she asked. “And put that ahead of litigation that can only go through the state courts? I don’t think so.”

Cubriel asserted that the solution to fair pay was for women to become more like men.

“Men are better negotiators,” she remarked. “And I would encourage women, instead of pursuing the courts for action, to become better negotiators.”

Texas GOP director tells women: Stop suing for equal rights and ?negotiate? like men | The Raw Story

Simple, if you wait past 180 days to make your claim, that's your fault, not anyone else's. You get six freaking months to discover it, I see that as ample time. Who in their right minds would wait till day 181 to do anything about it? Additionally, we have a fair pay act alread in place, and this Lily Ledbetter act is redundant.

Stop digging

Women don't get paid less for the same job as a man, unless they work in the white house, then they make significantly less.

The myth comes from a determination that the totality of working women make somewhat less than the totality of working men. This has more to do with job selection rather than job performance. Women do not engage in jobs that require a high degree of risk or a high degree of travel. They just don't want to. They just shouldn't receive the same pay as the men who do.

Women don't get paid less for the same job as a man, unless they work in the white house, then they make significantly less.

The myth comes from a determination that the totality of working women make somewhat less than the totality of working men. This has more to do with job selection rather than job performance. Women do not engage in jobs that require a high degree of risk or a high degree of travel. They just don't want to. They just shouldn't receive the same pay as the men who do.

Nope
The statistics compare women working the same jobs - and they make less.

Nice spin - unless you know the facts.

I don't care what so-and-so said.

The problem is that this is bad for women. This law, will harm women.

Women already are paid fairly. Any time that you calculate out comparative women to men, the pay is comparable too.

The problem is, women tend to not do the same types of jobs. The number of women that become top level engineers, and scientists, is low. The number that become social workers, and teachers, is high. Well shockingly, social workers and teachers are not paid as much as those in the hard sciences.

Another problem is that women tend to be less flexible and more family oriented. If you have two people a men and a women at a company doing the same job for 5 years, but the women ends up pregnant 3 times, taking off a year each time.... which is going to be paid more? The man who has worked consistently for 5 years, or the women that has only been there 2 years out of the 5? Obviously the guy.

Further, women like to be with their family, and if the kid is sick, they want to stay home with the kid. I have to leave early, my kid... blaw blaw blaw.

Well guess what... if you have a guy that is willing to stay over, and never skips out early, and then a women doing all that... who get's paid more? The guy!

In fact, we just had this happen at our company, just this year. We had a this girl, very qualified girl. She put out her resume, and landed a job with big company, making big money. More than DOUBLE her salary at our company ($35K to $80K). She left. 11 months later, we get this call from her, she wants to come back. She came back, taking the more than 50% pay cut.

Why? Her job was 'stressful'. It required her to meet deadlines. She didn't like that. Her job required her to put in 50 hours a week, and work every week day. She didn't like that. At our company she worked Monday through Thursday, and only put in 35 hours a week, and if she had to do something, she could do it, and come in when she wanted.

She said to us, she wanted to spend more time with her family, and not work so much. So she traded really good pay, for flexibility and family time.

This is why women are paid less on average, than men. A man would have likely done the other job, and collected the fat check.

(BTW.... you hourly people on the left bitching about being paid less, that right there was reality. The people who make the big bucks, are the people who work their butts off. 50 to 60 hours a week is normal in the real world. This 40 hours a week crap, you'll never earn much doing that)

So back to the point....

Say that the government forced an 'equal pay' rule, and our company had to pay the same wages to a women, who refused to work 50 hours, refused to show up on times every day (gotta take billy to school), was taking years off for pregnancy, and skipping out early (billy got sick, and I have to get him).... and they have to pay the same as the guy who works 50 hours, works every day, willing to stay late, willing to come in early.

What do you think companies are going to do? They are going to not hire the women, and only hire the men. If you can't pay the worker doing less, a lower wage, regardless of their job, then you simply won't hire the worker who is getting pregnant, not working as many hours, and leaving to go pick up billy.

This law, will harm women. It won't help them. I promise you.

There is a grim elegance to conservatives opposing equal pay for women...

Grim just because they are capable of thinking that way, as Americans, in 2014,

and yet elegant because it's a position that perfectly symbolizes where modern American conservatism in its entirety is at nowadays.

No, idiot. No one opposes equal pay for women. They oppose nanny state laws that try to dictate what that should be.

Okay, you don't oppose equal pay for women, you just oppose having laws that would enforce that.

lol

See and that is another problem I have.

Perhaps the "fairest" method of determining wages should be

Where do we get this idea that "we" have a right to determine what a fair wage is? How is the public so arrogant, that they think it's their business?

If I decide to hire someone to mow my lawn, or fix my roof.... can everyone in the neighborhood gather around, and discuss how much I should be forced to pay for that? What business is that of anyone else?

There is only TWO people who have the right to determine what a fair wage should be.

The employer..... and the employee. It's not anyone else's business. Period.

As long as the employee calls it a fair wage, and as long as the employer calls it a fair wage, no one else has the right to even comment on it. Not their business.

MIND YOUR OWN FREAKIN BUSINESS YOU LEFTISTS!

There is a grim elegance to conservatives opposing equal pay for women...

Grim just because they are capable of thinking that way, as Americans, in 2014,

and yet elegant because it's a position that perfectly symbolizes where modern American conservatism in its entirety is at nowadays.

No, idiot. No one opposes equal pay for women. They oppose nanny state laws that try to dictate what that should be.

Okay, you don't oppose equal pay for women, you just oppose having laws that would enforce that.

lol

Of course. Law only harm. Women end up earning nothing.

Further, you forcing people to do anything, is wrong. Not your business.

Funny, I don't hear many women complaining about wage disparities... just Democrats.

There are some. I've met them. But ironically, they are usually complaining that 'someone else' isn't paid a fair wage. They themselves are usually either not working at all, or they are working, and are fine with their own wage.

But they hear these random flawed statistics that women are paid less, without qualifiers or context, and start complaining about it.

Women already are paid fairly. Any time that you calculate out comparative women to men, the pay is comparable too.

Absolutely wrong.
Statistics clearly refute this oft-repeated talking point.

Well then you are absolutely ignorant. Because statistics clearly show they are.

I guess my ignorance is in the mind of the beholder, but apples to apples statistics that compare the same jobs show women are paid less.

I'm sorry if the numbers don't support your talking points - but that's the way it is.

These repeated GOP efforts to block equal pay initiatives is probably one reason Republicans fared so poorly among women in 2012.

If we have had a Fair Pay Act since 1963 then why are women still paid less than men for the same jobs in 2014?

Good question. See just ossing a law doesnt mean automatic compliance, but mist studies show this is a non issue. If women dont have kids and work the hours a guy does the pay difference is negliable

Forum List

Back