Min Wage versus Cost of Living 1970 to 2018

Would You Support a Consumer Panel to Protect the Comumer against Aggressive Cost of Living?

• Total voters
Wow, if you were working for minimum wage in 1970 and in 2018 you're still working for minimum wage; The problem isn't minimum wage.

It would be interesting to meet the people who still make minimum wage after 6~months to a year of working the same job.

I have yet to run across one in the 54 years of my life.

Well I take that back, Waitress and waiters, but they get tips.

Wow, if you were working for minimum wage in 1970 and in 2018 you're still working for minimum wage; The problem isn't minimum wage.

It would be interesting to meet the people who still make minimum wage after 6~months to a year of working the same job.

True enough, but many companies will fire employees before a year is up and replace them with another 'starting wage' employee, and also to prevent them from qualifying for unemployment insurance. Even Microsoft lays off programmers before a year is up, or used to before investigative reporters outed their sleazy asses, then tells the 're-apply in a month or two..

True enough, but many companies will fire employees before a year is up and replace them with another 'starting wage' employee, and also to prevent them from qualifying for unemployment insurance. Even Microsoft lays off programmers before a year is up, or used to before investigative reporters outed their sleazy asses, then tells the 're-apply in a month or two..

I guess your more informative then I am about those but I never heard of manufacturing, retail doing that, it's a pain enough to train them(going through the mistakes ) then fire them and start all over.

When the Factory closes, you have only a couple of choices. You can work for min wage and hope the factory reopens (doesn't usually happen but who knows) or you can go on welfare. Sorry, moving is out of the question since your own your house or are under a mortgage and the bottom just fell out from under the housing and your house is now worth less than you owe on it. So, as a good Conservative, you take the min wage job, or two of them to pay the minimum bills to get by. Even then, you are going to need public assistance (i.e. welfare). Then you wait for something better to come by. One horse (industry) locals are like that and there are a lot of them out there. Working for Minimum Wage is no sin. We have all done it many times in our lifetime. Like someone pointed out, about 1 in every 2 people work minimum wage in America. He used a percentage number because it looked better. But it's 1 in every 2 people working in the United States. And people will be coming on and going off of minimum wage jobs over and over again. Sometimes, it's not a choice. But it IS a choice whether you just give up and go on welfare and lose all self respect instead. But when Welfare pays better than the jobs that are available (and no one really lives on welfare, most just exist no matter what some freaks say) then you may have to choose welfare.

We have Coal mines here. We have two currently operating out of countless mines. We have a large number of out of work Coal Miners who are starting to run out of benefits. No, I live in Colorado, not West Virginia, but it's the same thing. These people own homes, support businesses, communities, schools, and more. And they have Coal. There are processes to use coal for alternatives other than burning for heating at Electric Plants that can be setup right at the mine locations to produce all sorts of products. But it takes money, lots of money. The US, as a nation, owes it to these people to invest in their futures and get them back to work. Otherwise, we have communities on Welfare forever. We don't need a mini Detroit here.

Here is what Inflation looks like when the Rich takes advantage of the Averate and below income levels Cost of Living.

milk at the dairy
1970 1.32
2018 2.90
Milk has not kept up with inflation. Even before the unfair Canadian trade Practice, Protectionism, etc. and Tariffs on US Milk, there was the introduction of the Milk Alterntives made from Grains and such. Unlike other Farming, Dairy Farmers can't rotate their products. They either operate at a loss, make money or get out of business. Trump has promised that due to the Tariffs that the Dairy Farmers will receive relief but the Diary Farmers don't want it. They claim that it will mostly go to larger Corporate Dairy Farms that are already Profitable even with all the negatives because they control most of the market. The smaller Diary Farmers will only be buying time until they go out of business. What they want is an even playing field. Nothing else will keep them in business. Next year look for Diary Farm Foreclosure Auctions to happen at an alarming rate even with the relief.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loaf of Bread
1970 25 cents
2018 2.38
The US is the Worlds #1 Wheat and Grain producer in the World. We have Silos with it sitting rotting away. That's over a 952% increase in cost. Well behind the wage increase.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Average Wage
1970 9,400
2018 44,321
That's over a 400% increase.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cost per Lb of Hamburger
1970 70 cents
2018 4.68
Hamburger, like other cuts of meat, is over 660% higher today than in 1970. It has lost ground to wages. Overall, with the exception to milk, food has lost between 200 and 1000% to average wages. And that is considering Average Wage, not minimum wage. Minimum Wage is much, much worse.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cost of a new Home
1970 23,450
2018 325,500
So you want to buy a home? Good luck on the average wage with a family of 4. You really want me to do the percent comparison on this one? There is a reason that the younger people are, for the most part, electing to rent rather than buy. For the most part, the younger people make less than the average wage and after the other costs of living, can't afford the payments, insurance and taxes on a new house or even an older house.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some People are getting bloody rich on these deals. And it's not the average or below average consumer. Certainly not the min wage or even the average wage earner.

Over half of the Uber Rich supports the increasing of the Min Wage. They give the reason that it gives the poor (min wage) more portable income. There fore more money to spend on their products and services. But that's not all. It also means that the Rich can and will raise those services and products to take away any and all the gains that min wage gave to the worker while expecing the new min wage worker to do more purchasing of their goods and products. It's a very lucrative, short termed program. But in the end, the workers all lose ground exactly as I showed above. But the Rich just got richer.

I am against Min Wage for this reason. We don't need a Min Wage. We need a Living Wage. At the same time, we need a Consumer Group that has the power to drag these unscrupulous theives into civil courts and get them fined for unfair trade practice.

Ground meat of any kind is space food. Anyone who eats that shit is not thinking right, and anyone who feeds it to children should be charged with child abuse. If one wants to not make minimum wage, they need to find a better job. One that pays more. In this country, we are able to do shit so that we earn the money we want and don’t have to work at McDonalds or Walmart. If folks don’t want to be slaves, they need to stop acting like slaves.

When I had a business fail, I temporarily worked for Walmart while I regrouped. Not my first choice but it was there. And anyone that has had a very succesful business knows that you should never be afraid to fail. Failure isn't a bad thing. It should lead to success later one. But the low paying job was needed just to pay the bills. You keep turning your nose down at the low wage job and the low wage worker. Unlike you, I paid my dues. That helped to make me one hell of a lot better BOSS. Those that haven't paid their dues are, generally, the absolute worst nightmares to work for. And you must be one hell of a nightmare.

Once again, you have nothing, whatsoever, to support these ludicrous claims.

What is the typical household income where one worker earns the minimum wage?

You're a lazy Troll and you refuse to support any of your foolish allegations with FACTS, only with your word salads.

PLEASE ringback when you have something real to contribute.

You're a lazy Troll and you refuse to support any of your foolish allegations with FACTS, only with your word salads.

I think he is right about IT remember 60 minutes people complaining getting fired and having to train people to do their jobs, also read they are in cahoots with each other to keep salary's low.

the 'problem' is mass immigration, at the same time we're shipping as much of the high productivity jobs overseas as possible. The financial sector soaks up over 80% of income now, and none of it recirculates back down through the rest of the domestic economy. It sits at the top, which is why interests rates are low and anybody who saves their money is merely a fool and P/E ratios of 60 to 1 are not at all unusual these days, for instance. Time to shed about 130 millon people and invoke another moratorium on immigration like we had in the 1920 to 1965.
How do you figure that? Our economy is growing and has been for over 50 years. That doesn't happen if ALL the money or even 80% of it is not circulated down.

I guess your more informative then I am about those but I never heard of manufacturing, retail doing that, it's a pain enough to train them(going through the mistakes ) then fire them and start all over.

Around here they use 'temp agencies' mostly; you aren't going to get a full time job at most places, except on a temporary basis. Silly Con Valley just got investigated for non-competitive practices in wages among employers and agreements to not steal each other's employees. Walmart has a lot of turnover. It's worse in 'right to work 'states. Like I said, most jobs created are low skilled service industry jobs; how much training does one need to stock shelves at Walmart? Work a delivery route?

the 'problem' is mass immigration, at the same time we're shipping as much of the high productivity jobs overseas as possible. The financial sector soaks up over 80% of income now, and none of it recirculates back down through the rest of the domestic economy. It sits at the top, which is why interests rates are low and anybody who saves their money is merely a fool and P/E ratios of 60 to 1 are not at all unusual these days, for instance. Time to shed about 130 millon people and invoke another moratorium on immigration like we had in the 1920 to 1965.
How do you figure that? Our economy is growing and has been for over 50 years. That doesn't happen if ALL the money or even 80% of it is not circulated down.

Our economy isn't growing. All that happens is full time jobs become 15-20 hours a week jobs, spread out to two or three people, most profits come from overseas, etc. and automation takes care of the rest. Why is immigration allowed at all?

Stop your whining;I', not interested in your idiotic ideological rubbish and don't feel a need to pretend you're a serious poster. You just misstated what I said already, as if the one income family never existed and we now have almost none of them. The only fool here is you and your ' I was born yesterday so I don't know what the hell you're talking about but I don't like it!!!' mentality.

Here is what Inflation looks like when the Rich takes advantage of the Averate and below income levels Cost of Living.

milk at the dairy
1970 1.32
2018 2.90
Milk has not kept up with inflation. Even before the unfair Canadian trade Practice, Protectionism, etc. and Tariffs on US Milk, there was the introduction of the Milk Alterntives made from Grains and such. Unlike other Farming, Dairy Farmers can't rotate their products. They either operate at a loss, make money or get out of business. Trump has promised that due to the Tariffs that the Dairy Farmers will receive relief but the Diary Farmers don't want it. They claim that it will mostly go to larger Corporate Dairy Farms that are already Profitable even with all the negatives because they control most of the market. The smaller Diary Farmers will only be buying time until they go out of business. What they want is an even playing field. Nothing else will keep them in business. Next year look for Diary Farm Foreclosure Auctions to happen at an alarming rate even with the relief.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loaf of Bread
1970 25 cents
2018 2.38
The US is the Worlds #1 Wheat and Grain producer in the World. We have Silos with it sitting rotting away. That's over a 952% increase in cost. Well behind the wage increase.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Average Wage
1970 9,400
2018 44,321
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cost per Lb of Hamburger
1970 70 cents
2018 4.68
Hamburger, like other cuts of meat, is over 660% higher today than in 1970. It has lost ground to wages. Overall, with the exception to milk, food has lost between 200 and 1000% to average wages. And that is considering Average Wage, not minimum wage. Minimum Wage is much, much worse.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cost of a new Home
1970 23,450
2018 325,500
So you want to buy a home? Good luck on the average wage with a family of 4. You really want me to do the percent comparison on this one? There is a reason that the younger people are, for the most part, electing to rent rather than buy. For the most part, the younger people make less than the average wage and after the other costs of living, can't afford the payments, insurance and taxes on a new house or even an older house.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some People are getting bloody rich on these deals. And it's not the average or below average consumer. Certainly not the min wage or even the average wage earner.

Over half of the Uber Rich supports the increasing of the Min Wage. They give the reason that it gives the poor (min wage) more portable income. There fore more money to spend on their products and services. But that's not all. It also means that the Rich can and will raise those services and products to take away any and all the gains that min wage gave to the worker while expecing the new min wage worker to do more purchasing of their goods and products. It's a very lucrative, short termed program. But in the end, the workers all lose ground exactly as I showed above. But the Rich just got richer.

I am against Min Wage for this reason. We don't need a Min Wage. We need a Living Wage. At the same time, we need a Consumer Group that has the power to drag these unscrupulous theives into civil courts and get them fined for unfair trade practice.
$15 in Los Angeles is meaningless.
$15 in Kansas is home ownership.

People need to get off their asses and move because Leftardism destroys lives.

Tech firms like Intel are notorious for sudden lay offs and using tactics like using the cameras in company break rooms to find people who left a coffee cup or something as a pretext for firing them and avoid higher unemployment tax rates, then sniveling about 'labor shortages' and how nobody will apply to work for them when it comes time to ramp production back up after a while. Of course, we know it's bullshit but the suck ups will play along and pretend they're right.

milk at the dairy
1970 1.32
2018 2.90
Loaf of Bread
1970 25 cents
2018 2.38
Average Wage
1970 9,400
2018 44,321
Cost per Lb of Hamburger
1970 70 cents
2018 4.68
Cost of a new Home
1970 23,450
2018 325,500

Why would anybody move from Boston to Iowa because a new truck stop in Des Moines needs part time bus boys or something? Especially if they don['t know if they will get hired or the job still exists when they get there?

milk at the dairy
1970 1.32
2018 2.90
Loaf of Bread
1970 25 cents
2018 2.38
Average Wage
1970 9,400
2018 44,321
Cost per Lb of Hamburger
1970 70 cents
2018 4.68
Cost of a new Home
1970 23,450
2018 325,500

Why would anybody move from Boston to Iowa because a new truck stop in Des Moines needs part time bus boys or something?
Why? You ask why someone would move from crime invested Boston where a 400 sq ft apartment costs $4,000 and you’re making $15/hr?

I rest my case. The Left are stupid.

milk at the dairy
1970 1.32
2018 2.90
Loaf of Bread
1970 25 cents
2018 2.38
Average Wage
1970 9,400
2018 44,321
Cost per Lb of Hamburger
1970 70 cents
2018 4.68
Cost of a new Home
1970 23,450
2018 325,500

What Reagan called 'voting with their feet.'

milk at the dairy
1970 1.32
2018 2.90
Loaf of Bread
1970 25 cents
2018 2.38
Average Wage
1970 9,400
2018 44,321
Cost per Lb of Hamburger
1970 70 cents
2018 4.68
Cost of a new Home
1970 23,450
2018 325,500

What Reagan called 'voting with their feet.'

Fine. Let's all vote with our feet. Get our feet moving, all of us grab our Protest Signs, head for Washington, picket Congress, the White House and the Supreme Court. And, like 1933, come armed. If 3.5 million and more show up like that watch the changes happen fast. That is what brought the New Deal into existence.

I think he is right about IT remember 60 minutes people complaining getting fired and having to train people to do their jobs, also read they are in cahoots with each other to keep salary's low.

Please step up and show us your, or Picaro's sources proving your allegations in this post from your good bud!

"Around here they use 'temp agencies' mostly; you aren't going to get a full time job at most places, except on a temporary basis. Silly Con Valley just got investigated for non-competitive practices in wages among employers and agreements to not steal each other's employees. Walmart has a lot of turnover. It's worse in 'right to work 'states. Like I said, most jobs created are low skilled service industry jobs; how much training does one need to stock shelves at Walmart? Work a delivery route?"

Bear513, are you sure you want to go down with the sinking boat known as Picaro. Then please support the above malarkey.

Our economy isn't growing. All that happens is full time jobs become 15-20 hours a week jobs, spread out to two or three people, most profits come from overseas, etc. and automation takes care of the rest. Why is immigration allowed at all?

You do have a problem with your memory, don't you?

I'm certain it was just a lapse of memory that prevented you from including your reliable source and working link supporting this tripe.

Stop your whining;I', not interested in your idiotic ideological rubbish and don't feel a need to pretend you're a serious poster. You just misstated what I said already, as if the one income family never existed and we now have almost none of them. The only fool here is you and your ' I was born yesterday so I don't know what the hell you're talking about but I don't like it!!!' mentality.

Come on Picaro, no guts, no glory. Prove that you have some stones.

Please post this question. One simple question and you're afraid.

Forum List

Back