Millions Of Electric Car Batteries Retiring By 2030, Are We Ready To Deal With What Could Be Ticking Time Bombs?

Smothering an EV battery fire should be much more economical than with ICE fires. What sensor technology could intercept an EV explosion?

Generally, the diesel/petrol doesn't spontaneously burst into flames, ICE fires tend to be electrical. If you crash and the brake manifold snaps, brake fluid is highly flammable, this catching fire if it contacts a hot exhaust manifold. With EV's the electrics are taken to another level.

Extinguishing an ICE and an EV fire are totally different, as EV's become popular, not only driving habits have to change due to their inconvenience, but where to park/charge them. Yes, don't put the car in the garage on charge, sit it outside in the frost. And hopefully catch the thief before he/she/them steals the charge cable.
The truth is in the stats…..it’s 100x more likely to have a fire in an ICE car than an EV.
.Case closed.

In June 2023, a guy lost his wife and both kids in a house fire due to an e-bike lithium battery -

But this report doesn't mention the details:

1. brand, source and age of charger
2. brand, source and age of battery
3. amperage of charger in relation to input of battery

And, an ebike lithium battery has nothing to do with EV cars., The voltage is the same as power tools along with the external charging units.,
EVs are 400 volts. with built in chargers. But, deniers hear LITHIUM and they wet their pants and blame EVs, cause few are actually dying from them.

And, an ebike lithium battery has nothing to do with EV cars., The voltage is the same as power tools along with the external charging units.,
EVs are 400 volts. with built in chargers. But, deniers hear LITHIUM and they wet their pants and blame EVs, cause few are actually dying from them.
At least eight people worldwide have died from fires caused by the lithium batteries in laptops. Ban laptops. Do you have one? Dispose of it IMMEDIATELY!!!

700 people have died from fires started by toasters.

In the US last year, over 150,000 fires were caused by major appliances.

50,000 people die each year from automobile accidents

But eight from laptops. Those are the important ones.

Last edited:
At least eight people worldwide have died from fires caused by the lithium batteries in laptops. Ban laptops. Do you have one? Dispose of it IMMEDIATELY!!!

700 people have died from fires started by toasters.

In the US last year, over 150,000 fires were caused by major appliances.

50,000 people die each year from automobile accidents

But eight from laptops. Those are the important ones.
Ha ha
exactly…

Fire rate of each type of auto.
So which is more dangerous ?
Gas1529.9
Electric 25.1

Dagosa I wrote your user name on a piece of paper and sat it beside my impact driver and drill. Then on a shelf showing the ends of an impact wrench, circular saw, and angle grinder, and then took a photo -

IMG_20231127_152613.jpg

IMG_20231127_152718.jpg

When I went in with the piece of paper, my girlfriend said, "What's that?". I explained about a poster on a forum thinking I don't have lithium power tools. She burst out laughing. Honestly, if I listed the power tools I own, I would bet you £1m that you would need over £20,000 to replace them. I only use 3 18v Lithium batteries, 2 x 4ah and 1 x 3ah. The reason being is, so much constantly use them and charge them, so they've lasted since 2004.

Back to the thread. If the lithium battery is on a car or a scooter or an e-bike, it is not advisable to to charge them inside unsupervised, as in, don't go to bed thinking they'll be grand in the morning. Whether the charger is new, mid age, or old, it's irrelevant. New items can be faulty and if you don't believe me, watch Pine Hollow and Diagnostic Dan on YouTube.

Car insurance is also based on how much it costs to repair cars; diagnostics, panels, spare parts in general etc.. And in the UK, EV insurance is increasing mainly because, you have to pay eye watering amounts for a garage to touch them. The days of back street garage tinkering on with a diesel or petrol will disappear-ish.

Do ICE vehicles catch fire because of it's fuel, or is it often due to an electrical fault !!

The truth is in the stats…..it’s 100x more likely to have a fire in an ICE car than an EV.
.Case closed.
The arguement has never been the number that catch fire, the arguement is, an EV fire is ferocious, more damaging, and more difficult to extinguish compared to an ICE fire.

When you park an ICE vehicle in a domestic garage, you have zero chance filling it up with fuel. You have an electrical fault chance.

When you park an EV in a domestic garage, if you charge it in said garage, you have a chance that the charger and/or car developing a fault and fire from that, plus you have a general electrical fault chance.

So the advice out there, whether you masturbate over an ICE or EV, is changing due to the actual vehicle type changing. And it's primarily to do with lithium battery fires, whether we all like it or not. It's called, "Risk assessment".

Dagosa I wrote your user name on a piece of paper and sat it beside my impact driver and drill. Then on a shelf showing the ends of an impact wrench, circular saw, and angle grinder, and then took a photo -

View attachment 864654

View attachment 864655

When I went in with the piece of paper, my girlfriend said, "What's that?". I explained about a poster on a forum thinking I don't have lithium power tools. She burst out laughing. Honestly, if I listed the power tools I own, I would bet you £1m that you would need over £20,000 to replace them. I only use 3 18v Lithium batteries, 2 x 4ah and 1 x 3ah. The reason being is, so much constantly use them and charge them, so they've lasted since 2004.

Back to the thread. If the lithium battery is on a car or a scooter or an e-bike, it is not advisable to to charge them inside unsupervised, as in, don't go to bed thinking they'll be grand in the morning. Whether the charger is new, mid age, or old, it's irrelevant. New items can be faulty and if you don't believe me, watch Pine Hollow and Diagnostic Dan on YouTube.

Car insurance is also based on how much it costs to repair cars; diagnostics, panels, spare parts in general etc.. And in the UK, EV insurance is increasing mainly because, you have to pay eye watering amounts for a garage to touch them. The days of back street garage tinkering on with a diesel or petrol will disappear-ish.

Do ICE vehicles catch fire because of it's fuel, or is it often due to an electrical fault !!
Well, you Obviously don’t know anything about EVs
An ebike has the same voltages as your tools.
They have external charges and are SAFER to charge than a lead acid battery.

The voltage on an EV is ten times as much and the charger is INTERNAL and is managed by a computer.

I charge all my batteries not EVs in a garage with temps between 40degrees and 80

The computer manages the temps for charging an EV. You can do in any ventilated area without worry.

Age of charger tends to be irrelevant. New parts can be faulty too. And electrical component can break down and go faulty. Capacitors can leak, MOSFETs go duff, solder joints crack etc.. And this can happen in any applicable/vehicle that contains electronics. If said electronics is connected to thousands of lithium batteries.....

No, the charging systems between the two are comparable. Increased amperage will charge the lithium faster. The statistic to really start with is the number of lithium fires occurring while charging vs. the number occurring while not charging.

View attachment 864654

View attachment 864655

The age of the charger is relevant. You just contradicted yourself. Heat build-up in the charger is a suspect parameter, let alone cheap components in a new one. The Chinese communists know that to add more components will both increase the cost and profit while presenting more complexity that can go awry. We've noticed the addition of more "bells and whistles" in ebike chargers within the last few years, equal to 3 times the cost of simpler chargers before.

Well, you Obviously don’t know anything about EVs
An ebike has the same voltages as your tools.
They have external charges and are SAFER to charge than a lead acid battery.

The voltage on an EV is ten times as much and the charger is INTERNAL and is managed by a computer.

I charge all my batteries not EVs in a garage with temps between 40degrees and 80

The computer manages the temps for charging an EV. You can do in any ventilated area without worry.
All irrelevant and superfluous to the thread.

The arguement has never been the number that catch fire, the arguement is, an EV fire is ferocious, more damaging, and more difficult to extinguish compared to an ICE fire.

When you park an ICE vehicle in a domestic garage, you have zero chance filling it up with fuel. You have an electrical fault chance.

When you park an EV in a domestic garage, if you charge it in said garage, you have a chance that the charger and/or car developing a fault and fire from that, plus you have a general electrical fault chance.

So the advice out there, whether you masturbate over an ICE or EV, is changing due to the actual vehicle type changing. And it's primarily to do with lithium battery fires, whether we all like it or not. It's called, "Risk assessment".
If you want to Jack off to the idea that you‘re 100 times more likely to burn to death in an ICE fire in one own than an EV if you are in ….go for it.

you’re hilarious. Nearly everyone stores fossil fuels in their garage. They ALL put you you at greater risk than managing an EV.

If you want to Jack off to the idea that you‘re 100 times more likely to burn to death in an ICE fire in one own than an EV if you are in ….go for it.

you’re hilarious. Nearly everyone stores fossil fuels in their garage. They ALL put you you at greater risk than managing an EV.
Again, the number of fires on both side of the fence is not the argument. Your comprehension skills are on the same level as one of my Jack Russell puppies commissioning a quantum computer.

During the heat of the summer, badger2 will place two gallon jugs of water on top of a stored ebike battery, though better would be to (store and charge [italics]) inside a water-jacketed compartment.

So where is the damning statistic that answers this question: "How many lithium fires occur during charging compared with how many lithium fires while stored and not charging?"

Again, the number of fires on both side of the fence is not the argument. Your comprehension skills are on the same level as one of my Jack Russell puppies commissioning a quantum computer.
Yes it is. That's because the statistical question in post #117 remains unanswered.

Yes it is. That's because the statistical question in post #117 remains unanswered.

Extinguishing electric vehicle fires is more difficult than putting out a petrol car fire, and electric vehicles have been known to reignite hours or even days after the blaze was first extinguished. Most manufacturers actually recommend allowing a controlled blaze to burn out of its own accord, but this isn’t always a feasible option for fire brigades.

So if you get an EV fire in your garage, most manufacturers suggest you let it burn out naturally.

Is that feasible to you? So what advice would you give to EV owners?

Dagosa you need to quit this daft fantasy that I need to hold a position that there are less ICE fires than EV fires. There are more ICE fires. That is not the arguement, never has been, stop thinking I need to defend it, I ain't fucking interested.

It's the ACTUAL type of fire, the risk assessment, and what is happening out there, as well as, what people are believing could happen. That's what's changing guidance/policy, lives, and insurance.

Forum List

Back