Millions Of Electric Car Batteries Retiring By 2030, Are We Ready To Deal With What Could Be Ticking Time Bombs?

Same is true for lithium batteries ... all batteries are free to recycle here ... but far and away the biggest loads are from lead/acid batteries ...
No shit, they, dominate the market..........for now.
this is like being completely infested with fleas and complaining of a few ticks ... lithium battery recycling is easy compared to recycling lead/acid batteries ...
IDK too much about recycling lithium batteries but companies are doing it.

Are you recycling lightbulbs? ... or are you just throwing all that mercury into your landfill?
Of course, I have to go to the store to replace the bulb, why not take it to HD, Lowe's, Ace, etc. ?
They recycle them.
... maybe lead and lithium in the environment isn't our biggest problem ... obesity is, so ride a bike to work, fatso ... either you believe in 90% fewer passenger vehicles on the road or you're a PIG ... P-I-G ... PIG ...
Lead was used in paint for decades so, it is a continuing issue.
Lead of any source.

The predictable surprises of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Ignorant fools ... how many lead/acid batteries will be disposed of in the next eight years? ... extra credit: how many are thrown in the rivers ...

None. Because, you know, recyclers will happily PAY for them!

Lead/acid batteries in the landfill are safer? ...

Good thing that isn't where they end up. And unlike lithium batteries, lead-acid batteries will not spontaneously combust!

No.
Every auto parts store takes lead-acid batteries, free.
No excuse for dumping it.

UNLESS, you want to be a dickhead.

Forget free-recyclers will PAY for them.

One other thing. Electric Vehicles in hurricane areas seems to be a bit dangerous. These politicians and elites who push this will not even know what an electric vehicle is after a mass devastation and loss of life.

... And unlike lithium batteries, lead-acid batteries will not spontaneously combust! ...

Lithium batteries have been known to combust ... rarely ... look how many cell phones don't combust ... but if you've have evidence they spontaneously combust, please post it ... and make sure you know what "spontaneously" actually means ...

Forget free-recyclers will PAY for them.

This is also true for the steel to make new cars ... both piston and electric ... and recyclers will pay for lithium batteries when the cost of mining lithium gets to expensive ... and I'll hold up aluminum as an extreme example ... if it works here, then it will work for lithium ...

Doc, I wish you's stop using Epoch Times and other sites with paywalls that require you to create "accounts" with them!:

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 2.46.50 PM.png

Especially when these stories are easily available elsewhere:

That said, without a comprehensive analysis of the pollution made in China and cogent analyses and solutions to what the pollution / costs / technologies needed to account for the ENTIRE life cycle of EV cars and their costs to consumers in the long term, the entire argument that going electric and that EV cars are our "green" future and will "save the planet" is both a naively silly and moot argument.

Until that question gets HONESTLY answered by scientists without an interest in EV cars nor a finger on the scale, I won't be switching to EV or Green NOTHING.

Lithium batteries have been known to combust ... rarely ... look how many cell phones don't combust ...

Specious argument, Reiny--- little lith-ion cellphone batteries are a totally different situation to the 800 pound EV car batteries in design, construction, and use. The service record of one says little about the other.

Lithium batteries have been known to combust ... rarely ... look how many cell phones don't combust ... but if you've have evidence they spontaneously combust, please post it ... and make sure you know what "spontaneously" actually means ...

This is also true for the steel to make new cars ... both piston and electric ... and recyclers will pay for lithium batteries when the cost of mining lithium gets to expensive ... and I'll hold up aluminum as an extreme example ... if it works here, then it will work for lithium ...
~~~~~~
Actually they explode by overheating.
**********​
**********​

Actually they explode by overheating.

Yes, but, that is only because you are exposing these batteries to heat, cold, shock, road salt, quick charging and heavy vibration!

So long as everyone keeps their EV cars out of the Sun, freezing cold, doesn't subject them to road shocks, pot holes, high loads, fast charging, long charging, repeated chargings, winter weather and never charges them past 75% nor let them ever fall below 35%, I don't anticipate any problems. :smoke: :uhh:

Specious argument, Reiny--- little lith-ion cellphone batteries are a totally different situation to the 800 pound EV car batteries in design, construction, and use. The service record of one says little about the other.

Let's see the data ... the claim was SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION ... show me one lithium battery just sitting there and combusting ... just one ... I'm not arguing th eprevalence of on-board fires ... but it is FAR FAR less that the fires caused by accidents ... "self-driving" means "self-crashing" ...

I'm sorry ... a little bit of pure ether will explode just like a bucketful just sitting on the shelf ... it doesn't need a shock or high temperature or electric current to set it off ... it will set off on its own ... it "spontaneously" combusts ...

We mix in 20% ethanol to stop this behavior in our chemistry labs ...

Let's see the data ... the claim was SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION ... show me one lithium battery just sitting there and combusting ... just one ... I'm not arguing th eprevalence of on-board fires ... but it is FAR FAR less that the fires caused by accidents ... "self-driving" means "self-crashing" ...

I really can't say as I have no interest in ever owning an EV as they currently stand, but while I've not heard of any cellphones burning up in someone's pocket for no reason, there have been MANY reported cases of EVs burning up in spectacular fashion, often taking out whole fleets of vehicles! And I could be wrong but it seems to me that in most of these cases, it happens to EVs that are IN USE and in the process of being CHARGED.

And as I'm sure you understand, charging involves high voltage and high current at a time when the the dielectric of these batteries is under the greatest stress and for some reason forms some sort of undesirable path for the electric potential to short itself rather destructively producing an intense heat.

These batteries are really being asked to contain a rather enormous amount of energy! Enough to power a car to move hundreds of miles at high speed! And unlike fuel where the energy is rather unavailable as a liquid needing changed to a vapor drop by drop and mixed with oxygen, all of the potential energy in a battery is always available in the present state it is in, just looking for anyway to cancel that difference of potential, slowly or violently!

I really can't say as I have no interest in ever owning an EV as they currently stand, but while I've not heard of any cellphones burning up in someone's pocket for no reason, there have been MANY reported cases of EVs burning up in spectacular fashion, often taking out whole fleets of vehicles! And I could be wrong but it seems to me that in most of these cases, it happens to EVs that are IN USE and in the process of being CHARGED.

And as I'm sure you understand, charging involves high voltage and high current at a time when the the dielectric of these batteries is under the greatest stress and for some reason forms some sort of undesirable path for the electric potential to short itself rather destructively producing an intense heat.

These batteries are really being asked to contain a rather enormous amount of energy! Enough to power a car to move hundreds of miles at high speed! And unlike fuel where the energy is rather unavailable as a liquid needing changed to a vapor drop by drop and mixed with oxygen, all of the potential energy in a battery is always available in the present state it is in, just looking for anyway to cancel that difference of potential, slowly or violently!
It is not all available all the time.

The EV haters are absolutely right.

No internal combustion vehicle has ever caught fire.

Well, at least that's what they seem to believe.
What might be an interesting statistic is the per 'capita' number of people killed in ICE vehicle fires vs people killed in EV fires

Millions Of Electric Car Batteries Retiring By 2030, Are We Ready To Deal With What Could Be Ticking Time Bombs?
10 Sep 2022 ~~ By Autumn Spreadmann

The evolving landscape of lithium batteries is creating both contradictions and infrastructure hurdles that, according to some, need to be addressed sooner rather than later. A critical component of this is waste management.
More than 6 million electric vehicle (EV) battery packs will end up as scrap between now and 2030, and the recycling and reuse industries are racing to keep up. Some researchers project that recycling alone will be an over $12 billion industry by 2025.
U.S. President Joe Biden wants to make America a key player in the EV battery industry with a $3.1 billion spending package for automobile production to transition away from fossil fuels.
Much of this dream is pinned on a dusty stretch of soil in the Nevada high desert called Thacker Pass. It serves as the lynchpin in Biden’s push for increased domestic lithium production and more EV batteries. That’s because Thacker Pass is the largest hard rock lithium reserve in the United States.
Currently, China dominates the world’s EV battery production, with more than 80 percent of all units developed there.
Yet while Biden’s administration has its sights on the top spot for EV battery production, insiders are pointing out industry trapdoors.
~Snip~
Thacker Pass, Nev., has the largest hard rock lithium reserve in the United States. (Lithium Americas)
Due to the potentially dangerous chemistry of lithium-ion EV units, concrete solutions are needed before an avalanche of dead battery packs ends up sitting around and waiting for recycling like ticking time bombs.
Those working on the sales end of the EV revolution tend to squirm or offer vague generalities when queried about what will happen to all of the old batteries.
The notion is quickly lumped into the very broad category of recycling or second life applications without offering any planning details.
Second life applications are an option for EV batteries no longer fit to power cars, but are suitable for alternative uses like energy storage.
And while that’s a start, the ultimate question lingers: How can America effectively deal with millions of completely spent, defective, or recalled EV units?
For people who specialize in hazardous waste, handling lithium batteries is a serious subject.

A ‘Thermal Runaway’​

“The packing and logistics isn’t easy or cheap,” Thibodeau said.
Moreover, the batteries pose a significant fire hazard.
Tucked within the sprawling Chicago suburbs is the town of Morris, Illinois. Around midday on Jun. 29, 2021, the fire department received a call that a warehouse fire had broken out in a structure that many residents assumed was just an abandoned building. The call came from someone who claimed to be an employee for a company that was storing 200,000 pounds of batteries in the building, most of which were lithium.
Fire Chief Tracey Steffes told reporters that it was the first time his department had ever fought a lithium fire.
Mitigating traditional fires is done by using water or chemicals to cut off the supply of oxygen. However, lithium is unique in that it doesn’t require oxygen to burn. Once ignited, it creates what Thibodeau called a “thermal runaway,” which is incredibly challenging to control.

Commentary:
Not to worry, the EPA will pass revisions to 40 CFR Part 273 regarding disposal of Li batts that will raise the cost of disposal and the overall price of EV's and all products using Li Batts.
First off, the cars don't last as long as ICE vehicles, because it costs significant amounts to replace the battery after 80-100,000 miles. When the cars get older, they won't be worth replacing the batteries - the whole car will get junked early.
Secondly, no one has considered the cost and energy required to recycle or disposal of the batteries - that kills any efficiency gained over the life of the vehicle.
EV's are a disaster and anybody that has a jalf a brain and thinkslogically knows that.
I was reading about an investing opportunities in Canada which plans to be one of the largest EV battery recyclers in the world. There is a huge shortage in US as in most countries. I think it's going to be great business opportunity. These batteries can not be put in land fill; they have to recycled. There is nothing new about recycling lithium batteries. The problem is the scale of that recycling. The investments needed are going to huge but revenues picture is excellent. I expect laws are going to be passed requiring new batteries to use recycled elements.

What might be an interesting statistic is the per 'capita' number of people killed in ICE vehicle fires vs people killed in EV fires
It's been published 25 per hundred thousand for EVs and 1550 per hundred thousand for ICEs. However the number 1550 is misleading. The 1550 is based on the number cars sold and the number of cars sold is much higher than number on the road. Also, car fires are any accident in which the fire department responds and sprays down the car. I would bet the actually number is only a couple hundred. However that is significantly higher than the EVs.

No shit, they, dominate the market..........for now.

IDK too much about recycling lithium batteries but companies are doing it.

Of course, I have to go to the store to replace the bulb, why not take it to HD, Lowe's, Ace, etc. ?
They recycle them.

Lead was used in paint for decades so, it is a continuing issue.
Lead of any source.
Ace charges you for them where I live. Menard's takes them for free.

It's been published 25 per hundred thousand for EVs and 1550 per hundred thousand for ICEs. However the number 1550 is misleading. The 1550 is based on the number cars sold and the number of cars sold is much higher than number on the road. Also, car fires are any accident in which the fire department responds and sprays down the car. I would bet the actually number is only a couple hundred. However that is significantly higher than the EVs.
What are the figures for spontaneous combustion?

Forum List

Back