Military retirees face cuts

Calling military retirement benefits "another big social welfare system " is bullshit. My benefits were prepaid with 26 years of honorable service and sacrifice. Same with my wife's dad. He has received his pension and health care twice as long as the time he served. These benefits are not entitlements but a fulfilled promise from a grateful nation. If the citizenry does not want the security provided by the service members that receive these benefits, they should vote to chage the system. They should in turn, stand by for heavy rolls. Otherwise, whiners and haters should STFU and figure out how to pay for ships, planes, weapons systems, personnel, health care, etc. etc. et al.

Calling military retirement benefits "another big social welfare system " is bullshit.....

My benefits were prepaid........

These benefits are not entitlements but a fulfilled promise.......

......whiners and haters should STFU...........

The same can be said for Social Security and Medicare.

Totally apples and oranges. You don't "pay into" your military retirement all your life. You earn it through blood, sweat and tears.

Bullshit. I DO pay into my Social Security and Medicare with the blood, sweat and tears (not to mention scars and broken bones) while earning paychecks throughout my 30+ years working swing shift in a power plant.

As in every other case where changing the terms of the contract is on the agenda, I oppose this move.

It is wrong when the STATES do it to their workers.

Likewise it is WRONG when the FED GOV does it to military retired.

Likewise it is WRONG when the FED GOV does it to social security.

People worked based on a contract of FUTURE benefits.

Changing the terms of that contract after the workers/military personnel have fulfilled THEIR END of the contract is plain old WRONG.

Last edited:
The same can be said for Social Security and Medicare.

Totally apples and oranges. You don't "pay into" your military retirement all your life. You earn it through blood, sweat and tears.

Bullshit. I DO pay into my Social Security and Medicare with the blood, sweat and tears (not to mention scars and broken bones) while earning paychecks throughout my 30+ years working swing shift in a power plant.

It is bullshit. You're attempting to compare the military retirement system with Social Security. They're two seperate, completely different things.

STFU

As in every other case where changing the terms of the contract is on the agenda, I oppose this move.

Changing the terms of that contract after the workers/military personnel have fulfilled THEIR END of the contract is plain old WRONG.

Exactly. Thank God there are some damned good lobbyists and some politicians who still understand military retirements.

By the way? Retirement has not been 50 percent in a very long time. It is 40 percent of the 2 and half highest years you served. I was grandfathered because I joined before the change, My retirement is about 1100 a month. Try living on that.

I don't receive my retirement. I am disabled and am paid by the VA. For every dollar the VA pays me 1 comes out of my retirement. Since the VA pays more I take that instead.

By the way? Retirement has not been 50 percent in a very long time. It is 40 percent of the 2 and half highest years you served. I was grandfathered because I joined before the change, My retirement is about 1100 a month. Try living on that.

I don't receive my retirement. I am disabled and am paid by the VA. For every dollar the VA pays me 1 comes out of my retirement. Since the VA pays more I take that instead.

I've been out for 13 years now Gunny. I am 50-something percent.

It changed around 1990. 40 percent and it is factored by the average of your highest paid 2 and a half years. Believe they kept the computation for years over 20 though. We got 50 percent of our highest pay no matter how long we received it.

It changed around 1990. 40 percent and it is factored by the average of your highest paid 2 and a half years. Believe they kept the computation for years over 20 though. We got 50 percent of our highest pay no matter how long we received it.

I'll take your word for it. I don't even see it. It goes right to the mortgage.

Exactly. Thank God there are some damned good lobbyists and some politicians who still understand military retirements.

It's nice we are on the same page, Warrior but there really is no difference in practive between YOUR CONTRACT and the contracts that other workers have.

STATE WORKERS also worked based on a contract that ought NOT be change AFTER THEY HAVE FULFILLED their end of the bargain.

Social Security retirees ALSO worked based on a contract that ought NOT be change AFTER THEY HAVE FULFILLED their end of the bargain.

Fair is fair, after all.

It's nice we are on the same page, Warrior but there really is no difference in practive between YOUR CONTRACT and the contracts that other workers have.

STATE WORKERS also worked based on a contract that ought NOT be change AFTER THEY HAVE FULFILLED their end of the bargain.

Social Security retirees ALSO worked based on a contract that ought NOT be change AFTER THEY HAVE FULFILLED their end of the bargain.

Fair is fair, after all.

I agree, 100%

That's the bottom line - it's a promise when you enlist. That's why I stayed for 20+ years - and endured shitty pay, shitty living conditions, shitty duty stations, shitty hours, shitty deployments, shitty assignments. Hands the fuck off our benefits - you Goddamned politicians. Give yourselves a paycut. You're way the fuck overpaid as it is.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! Look, another Tea Party member! Hands off MY government run health insurance and pension plan!!!!

I have paid into Social Security since age 16. Now, the GOP wants to eliminate it altogether. How is this any different? When I began to pay into it, was a similar promise not made that I would one day be able to draw from it?

That's the bottom line - it's a promise when you enlist. That's why I stayed for 20+ years - and endured shitty pay, shitty living conditions, shitty duty stations, shitty hours, shitty deployments, shitty assignments. Hands the fuck off our benefits - you Goddamned politicians. Give yourselves a paycut. You're way the fuck overpaid as it is.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! Look, another Tea Party member! Hands off MY government run health insurance and pension plan!!!!

I have paid into Social Security since age 16. Now, the GOP wants to eliminate it altogether. How is this any different? When I began to pay into it, was a similar promise not made that I would one day be able to draw from it?

Paying into SSN does not equate to serving your country for 20+ years, dumbfuck. Grow a brain you uneducated idiot.

Paying into SSN does not equate to serving your country for 20+ years, dumbfuck. Grow a brain you uneducated idiot.

Are you THAT stupid? You basically were a government employee, yes? I appreciate the fact that you couldn't get a real job, but how does your CHOICE to live off the government give you any advantage over those that simply paid into the government by working in the private sector?

Umm I think the republican controlled house will have to pass these military retiree benefits cuts.
This is not Obama.

Last edited:

Are you THAT stupid? You basically were a government employee, yes? I appreciate the fact that you couldn't get a real job, but how does your CHOICE to live off the government give you any advantage over those that simply paid into the government by working in the private sector?

No, I was a member of the United States Navy - not a lazy assed government employee, dipshit.

Anything else you need to know?

No, I was a member of the United States Navy - not a lazy assed government employee, dipshit.

Just for clarification purposes, where did your paycheck come from?

Just for clarification purposes, where did your paycheck come from?

DFAS, dumb fuck. Same as every other servicemembers.

It's a damned good thing idiots like you aren't elected officials, nor operate heavy machinery.

Should the title be:

Republican controlled house considers cuts to military retiree benefits.

They can consider anything they like. And the media can get all worked up about it all day long.

Cutting retirees benefits ?

Never gonna happen.

Too many organizations, lobbyists, pro-military elected officials won't allow it.

Forum List

Back