Military assistance to the Border. Rules summary of the Military

National defense is not a civilian matter. This falls very squarely in the powers and duties assigned to the military, to defend our nation against foreign attack and invasion.

And who is the official Commander, and Chief of that military? It ain't Chuck Schumer, or Hillary. LOL!

Who controls the Purse Strings? Her first name is Nancy.
Oh..........she's a dictatorship now.......LOL

Wow, is that the best you got? If the House won't fund it, it isn't funded. That's the way thing work. Trump got in the habit of saying he wanted something and no one stood in his way. He just got it. Everyone in control was scared to death of him. We needed to break that habit. This is why the House went to the Democrats for good or bad. Trump isn't used to having to deal with losing his supreme power. He had better damned well get used it like every other President has.
That isn't the question...........it is whether he can use funds from the military to deal with a state of emergency............and that issue is questionable.........I'd like to see it confirmed one way or another as I've stated...........

I'd also like to see if funding could be appropriated for the military to build the wall............we already know they can give CBP equipment........and temporarily house detainees.............that has already been done...........

The military could build the wall cheaper than outside contractors.............and it would save a bunch of money if it was done that way........as other nations do already.

I don't think there really is a question if he can use the DOD funds to buy the supplies, fuel, etc. to "BUILD THAT WALL" (I just raised the heart rate of most trump supporters with that one). I don't even believe that Supreme Court would even rule on it since it's a Congressional Problem and not a Supreme Court Problem. But it might be more entertaining than all of Trumps other Reality Show projects. Just sad to see that it's done on a national level.

And I agree, and it will last much longer as well. The Army Corp of Engineers are the finest fully contained Construction Contractors in the World. But the problem is, the local economies won't benefit from it.

This details the laws of use of the military and the primary laws for building the Wall by the military. Should Trump declare a crisis and use the military to build the wall these laws will be the ones eventually going to the Supreme Court.

Border Security and Military Support: Legal Authorizations and Restrictions

Restrictions
The primary restriction on military participation in civilian law enforcement activities is the Posse Comitatus Act (PCA).9The PCA prohibits the use of the Army and Air Force to execute the domestic laws of the United States except where expressly authorized by the Constitution or Congress. The PCA has been further applied to the Navy and Marine Corps by legislative and administrative supplements. For example, 10 U.S.C. §375, directs the Secretary of Defense to promulgate regulations forbidding the direct participation "by a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marines in a search, seizure, arrest, or other similar activity" during support activities to civilian law enforcement agencies. DOD issued Directive 5525.5, which outlines its policies and procedures for supporting federal, state, and local LEAs. According to the Directive, the following forms of direct assistance are prohibited: (1) interdiction of a vehicle, vessel, aircraft, or other similar activity; (2) a search or seizure; (3) an arrest, apprehension, stop and frisk, or similar activity; and (4) use of military personnel in the pursuit of individuals, or as undercover agents, informants, investigators, or interrogators. It is generally accepted that the PCA does not apply to the actions of the National Guard when not in federal service.10 As a matter of policy, however, National Guard regulations stipulate that its personnel are not, except for exigent circumstances or as otherwise authorized, to directly participate in the arrest or search of suspects or the general public.11

12 The Constitution, however, contains no provision expressly authorizing the President to use the military to execute the law. The question of whether the constitutional exception includes instances where the President is acting under implied or inherent constitutional powers is one the courts have yet to answer. DOD regulations, nonetheless, do assert two constitutionally based exceptions—sudden emergencies and protection of federal property.13 The PCA also does not apply where Congress has expressly authorized use of the military to execute the law. Congress has done so in three ways: by giving a branch of the armed forces civilian law enforcement authority (e.g., the Coast Guard), by addressing certain circumstances with more narrowly crafted legislation,14 and by establishing general rules for certain types of assistance.

The military indirectly supports border security and immigration control efforts under general legislation that authorizes the armed forces to support federal, state, and local LEAs. Since the early 1980s, Congress has periodically authorized an expanded role for the military in providing support to LEAs. Basic authority for most DOD assistance was originally passed in 1981 and is contained in Chapter 18 of Title 10 of the U.S. Code—Military Support for Civilian Law Enforcement Agencies. Under Chapter 18 of Title 10, Congress authorizes DOD to share information (§371); loan equipment and facilities (§372); provide expert advice and training (§373); and maintain and operate equipment (§374). For federal LEAs, DOD personnel may be made available, under §374, to maintain and operate equipment in conjunction with counterterrorism operations (including the rendition of a suspected terrorist from a foreign country) or the enforcement of counterdrug laws, immigration laws, and customs requirements. For any civilian LEA, §374 allows DOD personnel to maintain and operate equipment for a variety of purposes, including aerial reconnaissance and the detection, monitoring, and communication of air and sea traffic, and of surface traffic outside the United States or within 25 miles of U.S. borders, if first detected outside the border. Congress placed several stipulations on Chapter 18 assistance, e.g., LEAs must reimburse DOD for the support it provides unless the support "is provided in the normal course of military training or operations" or if it "results in a benefit...substantially equivalent to that which would otherwise be obtained from military operations or training."15 Pursuant to §376, DOD can only provide such assistance if it does not adversely affect "the military preparedness of the United States." Congress incorporated posse comitatus restrictions into Chapter 18 activities in §375.

In 1989, Congress began to expand the military's support role. For example, Congress directed DOD, to the maximum extent practicable, to conduct military training exercises in drug-interdiction areas, and made the DOD the lead federal agency for the detection and monitoring of aerial and maritime transit of illegal drugs into the United States.16 Congress later provided additional authorities for military support to LEAs specifically for counterdrug purposes in the National Defense Authorization Act for FY1991.17 Section 1004 authorized DOD to extend support in several areas to any federal, state, and local (and sometimes foreign) LEA requesting counterdrug assistance. This section has been extended regularly and is now in force through the end of FY2011.18

As amended, §1004 authorizes the military to: maintain, upgrade, and repair military equipment; transport federal, state, local, and foreign law enforcement personnel and equipment within or outside the U.S.; establish bases for operations or training; train law enforcement personnel in counterdrug activities; detect, monitor, and communicate movements of air, sea, and surface traffic outside the U.S., and within 25 miles of the border if the detection occurred outside the U.S.; construct roads, fences, and lighting along U.S. border; provide linguists and intelligence analysis services; conduct aerial and ground reconnaissance; and establish command, control, communication, and computer networks for improved integration of law enforcement, active military, and National Guard activities. Section 1004 incorporates the posse comitatus restrictions of Chapter 18.19 Unlike Chapter 18, however, this law does allow support which could affect military readiness in the short-term, provided the Secretary of Defense believes the support outweighs such short-term adverse effect.
If Trump did declare a state of emergency the wall would not get built due to lawsuits.
It would force another Supreme Court Decision.............and it's slanted to the right of center right now................would be interesting indeed....
:abgg2q.jpg:
I don't doubt that the right perverts the laws also
Shall we find out...............LOL

It is obvious that they will not fix the illegal problem without extreme measures now.............building the wall is not really extreme..........clarification of the Law on what the military can and can't do.........would be INFORMATIVE.......The Supreme Court will try to limit the ruling to specifics to avoid full clarification.......

The money would be the sticking issue.

I'd like clarification from the Supreme Court on this

So ,for the sake of debate, let's say teh scotus sides w/ Trump, and the military steps in.

Trump directs the military to go after the 'bad guys' ,all fine & well

I'll go out on a limb here,and claim military intel figures this might be more than a fiesta on the border ,waiting for the next caravan

I'd like to <think> thier target(s) might be a little harder than that....

Narcosub_Cutaway3200.jpg

Drug_routes_2011_a_jpg_800x1000_q100.jpg

Part of me wants Trump to do it, just to see what happens ~S~
They called Lincoln a dictator for doing less...

In a time of declared War. Now, if Trump can figure out a country to declare war on maybe he might ...... now that's a silly thought. You are trying to misdirect. Please stay in your panic mode. It's entertaining.
I stated a fact cupcake deal with it.

You misdirected, cupcake, and I no you won't deal with it. Panic on, Panic on.
They can do as I like since I don't pay taxes it's your money they will throw away.

So you have no skin in the game. No wonder you are screaming so loud. I have skin in the game because I paid for many decades and my Kid and his Grandkids pay taxes. But let's all just live for today, Hare.

And who is the official Commander, and Chief of that military? It ain't Chuck Schumer, or Hillary. LOL!

Wow, is that the best you got? If the House won't fund it, it isn't funded. That's the way thing work. Trump got in the habit of saying he wanted something and no one stood in his way. He just got it. Everyone in control was scared to death of him. We needed to break that habit. This is why the House went to the Democrats for good or bad. Trump isn't used to having to deal with losing his supreme power. He had better damned well get used it like every other President has.
That isn't the question...........it is whether he can use funds from the military to deal with a state of emergency............and that issue is questionable.........I'd like to see it confirmed one way or another as I've stated...........

I'd also like to see if funding could be appropriated for the military to build the wall............we already know they can give CBP equipment........and temporarily house detainees.............that has already been done...........

The military could build the wall cheaper than outside contractors.............and it would save a bunch of money if it was done that way........as other nations do already.

I don't think there really is a question if he can use the DOD funds to buy the supplies, fuel, etc. to "BUILD THAT WALL" (I just raised the heart rate of most trump supporters with that one). I don't even believe that Supreme Court would even rule on it since it's a Congressional Problem and not a Supreme Court Problem. But it might be more entertaining than all of Trumps other Reality Show projects. Just sad to see that it's done on a national level.

And I agree, and it will last much longer as well. The Army Corp of Engineers are the finest fully contained Construction Contractors in the World. But the problem is, the local economies won't benefit from it.
They got to buy the concrete and rebar from someone........

They called Lincoln a dictator for doing less...

In a time of declared War. Now, if Trump can figure out a country to declare war on maybe he might ...... now that's a silly thought. You are trying to misdirect. Please stay in your panic mode. It's entertaining.

They can do as I like since I don't pay taxes it's your money they will throw away.

So you have no skin in the game. No wonder you are screaming so loud. I have skin in the game because I paid for many decades and my Kid and his Grandkids pay taxes. But let's all just live for today, Hare.
The wall will not stop welfare, illegals or the companies that desire to hire them because they claim they are better workers than the whites. But you play right into the oligarchs hands and build another monument to stupidity. I already have made my place in existence and can outwork any illegal even at 60..

So ,for the sake of debate, let's say teh scotus sides w/ Trump, and the military steps in.

I'll go out on a limb here,and claim military intel figures this might be more than a fiesta on the border ,waiting for the next caravan

Narcosub_Cutaway3200.jpg

Let's say it didn't happen since much of that would be illegal and beyond the scope of the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court would have to write laws which is well outside their powers. They can only interpret the laws already in place and the Constitution. So none of what you dream of can ever happen. But the US can bolster the other units like the Coast Guard, Border Patrol, DEA and more and do the same job. They can also get the US Military support in locating these bad actors which they already do.

Narcosub_Cutaway3200.jpg

That sub can be sunk............LOL.......or forced to surface.....captured and placed as a monument on the wall itself..........LOL

As far as the pretty maps.........the military could secure all of that......It's what they are trained to do...........

I did Legal Ops............the war on drugs is nothing new.

In regards to building the wall .......that is the real question here.......Not taking out Cartel subs........which I wouldn't give a shit if they did.........Target practice.

The problem is, the manpower will not be local or even close to being local. Civilians will not be paid wages. Now, that would not be a pretty picture and I believe that would end up in court pretty damned quick.

The problem is, the manpower will not be local or even close to being local. Civilians will not be paid wages. Now, that would not be a pretty picture and I believe that would end up in court pretty damned quick.
That is not the purpose of the military and you know it. About who's getting the money is a political issue..........Not a military one............That would be just grandstanding over people trying to profit over the wall construction......The steel and concrete don't make themselves............that the military has to buy........unless they want to set up those concrete plants temp in the desert to make it.........and yes..........they can do that.........

The wall will not stop welfare, illegals or the companies that desire to hire them because they claim they are better workers than the whites. But you play right into the oligarchs hands and build another monument to stupidity. I already have made my place in existence and can outwork any illegal even at 60..

Then you DO have skin in the game. And you DO pay taxes. The last time I checked, one of my retirements pays federal taxes and the other doesn't since it's essentially a payback of money I deposited in the SSI. And I somewhat agree with you about the wall.

It needs to be extended a bit and what is there needs to be repaired and improved. Plus, we need more boots on the ground along with much better electronic measures including more Drones. Along the whole 2000 miles they are trying to use 4 drones to monitor it flying out of Arizona. They need at least another 16 to do the job right for areas that putting in a wall doesn't really make any sense.

That is not the purpose of the military and you know it. About who's getting the money is a political issue..........Not a military one............That would be just grandstanding over people trying to profit over the wall construction......The steel and concrete don't make themselves............that the military has to buy........unless they want to set up those concrete plants temp in the desert to make it.........and yes..........they can do that.........

No, it's more an Economic problem.

How is saving money on building it for the taxpayers a problem........LOL

That is not the purpose of the military and you know it. ......

Since I went on more than a couple humanitarian mission throughout the world, I do know that is part of the US Military. Starting any answer with AND YOU KNOW IT is downright rude and disrespectful. It brings me to an even more important decision this morning. It's breakfast time and what do I want in my omelet.

Since I went on more than a couple humanitarian mission throughout the world, I do know that is part of the US Military. Starting any answer with AND YOU KNOW IT is downright rude and disrespectful. It brings me to an even more important decision this morning. It's breakfast time and what do I want in my omelet.
Like Somalia............or Legal Ops to Columbia..........imagine that.

How is saving money on building it for the taxpayers a problem........LOL

Because it does the local economy no good at all. It's not good for the local economy when the Feds bring in Military to do jobs that the locals can do. I have no idea why you can't see that unless you are just trolling for trolling sake.

Narcosub_Cutaway3200.jpg

That sub can be sunk............LOL.......or forced to surface.....captured and placed as a monument on the wall itself..........LOL

As far as the pretty maps.........the military could secure all of that......It's what they are trained to do...........

I did Legal Ops............the war on drugs is nothing new.

In regards to building the wall .......that is the real question here.......Not taking out Cartel subs........which I wouldn't give a shit if they did.........Target practice.
Evidently they have failed to contain the drugs..

They will not be using a 6 cu.ft. mixer from Lowe's.

And the Fires in Colorado in the 70s, the Floods in Pakistan in 1969, and more. How about the Military Hospital Ships at many different disasters, etc.. If you understood what it takes to be a Warrior, you would understand that killing ones enemy is only part of being a Warrior. A Warrior eats AFTER the Women, children and old men do.

And the Fires in Colorado in the 70s, the Floods in Pakistan in 1969, and more. How about the Military Hospital Ships at many different disasters, etc.. If you understood what it takes to be a Warrior, you would understand that killing ones enemy is only part of being a Warrior. A Warrior eats AFTER the Women, children and old men do.
My job was to keep the ship running and provide electricity to it.......while we did those missions.........LOL

Am I talking to a legend in his own mind here. LOL

New Topics

Forum List

Back