Microsoft's 'Mancode' program teaches tech skills to minority boys, men

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
You can make a good living for yourself working in Information Technology (IT), particularly in some of the newer areas regarding cybersecurity.

If you like tinkering with computers, gaming, solving puzzles, etc. and you have an aptitude for it, may as well get paid for doing something that you love and would be doing anyway.

Microsoft's 'Mancode' program teaches tech skills to minority boys, men

REDMOND, Wash. - More than 600 inner city teens got a chance to learn about technology and life skills on Friday - thanks to a Mancode conference at Microsoft in Redmond.

It's a one-of-a-kind opportunity for these young boys and teens.

In the crowd is 14-year-old Gabe Green, an eighth-grader from University Place - and his dad. Gabe has high hopes for a career in engineering.

“I've been interested in it for the longest time,” said Gabe. “I like building things - buildings. I also like programming games.”

His father, Jeffrey Green, adds: “I'm in former military, where we have engineers of color programs. So, I think it's a very important program to start. The earlier you start, the better off it is at the end."

Supporters say the Mancode program helps level the playing field for underserved minority boys and men.

“We've been focusing a lot on women, and rightfully so. There's less women in technology careers. But when we do a little bit of research, we realize that for African American, Latinos, minority males, they make up 2.2 percent of those with careers in STEM,” said Shy Averett, the co-founder of Mancode.

Mancode targets middle and high school students.​

It's certainly nice to see a program for young men for once that helps them advance.

Wish it was for all young men.

It's certainly nice to see a program for young men for once that helps them advance.

Wish it was for all young men.
Programs such as these do not reject candidates because they're white, they just have a targeted audience.

I would encourage anyone who has an interest in the program to contact them and attend one of the free training conferences. All you have to lose is a little bit of your time.

See, white people arent as bad as you say they are.
Funny, but your racists are indeed as bad and worse as have been described.

I just happen to know that not all white people, or even most are racist but I'm pretty sure you already know this. And I've been working in IT for almost as long as you've been alive and in most cases, I'm the only African American software developer on the team. I can count on one hand the number of African Americans females (1) and males (2) I've worked with.

I just happen to know that not all white people, or even most are racist but I'm pretty sure you already know this. And I've been working in IT for almost as long as you've been alive and in most cases, I'm the only African American software developer on the team. I can count on one hand the number of African Americans females (1) and males (2) I've worked with.
I doubt you've been doing IT as long as I've been alive. In fact, the first computer I owned as an adult had windows 95 on it in 1995, though I was messing around with computers way before that. I was regularly playing video games on a Commodore 64 when I was younger in the 80s. Anyone else remember "Barbarian" on floppy disk? :laugh:

Last edited:

I doubt you've been doing IT as long as I've been alive. In fact, the first computer I owned as an adult had windows 95 on it in 1995, though I was messing around with computers way before that. I was regularly playing video games on a Commodore 64 when I was younger in the 80s. Anyone else remember "Barbarian" on floppy disk? :laugh:
You should watch the movie "Hidden Figures" you might find it enlightening.

Forum List

Back