Media coverage of Trump's McCain war-service Neutron Bomb

[

Just a few. I guess your guy did not interview those above.

None of those accounts are CONTEMPORARY accounts.

these accounts come from a book by Bob Greene,Homecoming: When the Soldiers Returned from Vietnam. a disgraced Chicago Tribune columnist.

For those who want to take it up a notch, here's a little background on Bob Greene...

The Sad Saga of Bob Greene Chicago magazine Chicago Magazine March 2003

But moral clarity is hard to achieve, let alone sustain, as the world discovered a few months later when the young woman, now 32, re-entered Greene’s life in a way that cost him his column. He was back in Nebraska last September when he was summoned to Chicago to face his fate. The young woman, apparently angered by the way he had rebuffed her when she had called earlier, had sent the Tribune an e-mail outlining the circumstances of her relationship with the columnist. As a 17-year-old high school senior in 1988, she had arranged an interview with Greene for a school project. Her parents had driven her downtown and waited while she completed her assignment. A few months later, after she had graduated from high school, Greene and she saw each other several times over dinner and at least once they went to a hotel, where they had a sexual liaison. (Her lawyer is now said to be trying to negotiate a financial settlement from Greene.)

Last September, after the Tribune investigated the matter, it took five days for Greene’s career of 33 years to come crashing down.

Now, let's go back to the parameters I set. Not some crazy guy living in a cave and not some columnist who lost his job for banging a teenager repeating stories decades later.

Can you produce a CONTEMPORARY ACCOUNT- a story published in a newspaper or film clip from 1965-1973 detailing a hippy spitting on a serviceman.

A "researcher" that was already bias against vets claims about being spit on.

I'm so shocked he found them to be liars... Not.

Selective research and interviews will do that.

So will a complete lack of evidence.

Okay- here's what counts as evidence

1) A contemporary news account of such an incident.
2) Film of such an incident.
3) A police report detailing such an incident.

THose would be perfectly good evidence.

NOT

Bob Greene collecting stories when he has a proven track record of passing off bullshit as fact.

Some Crazy guy living in a cave claiming someone spit on him back in the 1970s.

A "researcher" that was already bias against vets claims about being spit on.

I'm so shocked he found them to be liars... Not.

Selective research and interviews will do that.

So will a complete lack of evidence.

Okay- here's what counts as evidence

1) A contemporary news account of such an incident.
3) A police report detailing such an incident.

THose would be perfectly good evidence.

NOT

Bob Greene collecting stories when he has a proven track record of passing off bullshit as fact.

Some Crazy guy living in a cave claiming someone spit on him back in the 1970s.

You've lost.

crazy guy living in a cave?

hardly.

"1) A contemporary news account of such an incident.
3) A police report detailing such an incident."

Which is likely why your 'researcher' dismissed any evidence that wouldn't fit into his agenda while writing his book.

Wonder how many vets told him they were spat on, that he called liars?

Sorry joe,

you can believe the guy with the agenda all you want.

I can't, and won't.

He had something to gain.

The vets didn't.

Your sanitation guy should have asked those in the book too. It could have been easy to get the names from the Chicago columnist.

You mean Bob Greene, the Chicago Columnist who printed a hoax about teen prostitutes and had to retract the story when it was debunked?

Or used his column to villify a man who fought for legal custody of his son after he had been put up for adoption without his permission.

And not to mention, got fired when it was revealed he was tapping teenage fan-girls and harrassed female coworkers.

Yup, he's calling a Medal of Honor recipient a liar, and taking the word of a man he doesn't know, because he wrote a book claiming it didn't happen.

No, i'm callling him a liar because everyone who has researched this claim has not produced ONE CONTEMPORARY ACCOUNT of returning soldiers being spat upon.

Not one.

Now you think this would have made news if it happened. Right next to "Hippies still in critical condition after spitting on battle-hardened Marine Vet".
Donald Trump just spat upon POW John McCain

and I find him more honest than your 'researcher'.

In fact, is that how your 'researcher' got his data?

"Ok, you say you were spat on, prove it"

"What, no corroboration? You must be lying"

Wonder how much he made from the book deal?

Again, the problem with that is that if you accept people's words with corroboration, then all those stories about a gerbil being extracted from Richard Gere's ass must be true, because you will find a whole bunch of people who claimed to be in the emergency room that night.

When in fact, a check of hospital records show that Gere was never admitted, but there has never been a SINGLE documented case of "Gerbilling".

Roswell Aliens? A whole lot of people claim they saw dead bodies being pulled from a flying saucer.

Wow

This thread went from Trump insulting McCain to "Libs spitting on soldiers" which supposed to happen, say 50 years ago?

Hold onto Trump, please
Your fears and projections are ill serving you

All of a sudden the Progs "Care" about McCain and his service.

Hysterical

While simultaneously calling Vietnam vets liars In The same thread.

Libs words always ring hollow and are not to be taken seriously.

You mean, we aren't repeating dialog from Rambo as established fact?

I would be the first one to say we didn't treat Vietnam vets properly when they got back. There should have been jobs and retraining programs waiting for them, just like there were for their fathers when they got back from WWII.

But the spitting stories are lies, repeated by a right wing that wanted to deflect attention from the fact they advocated an immoral war they were happy to let others fight.

and I find him more honest than your 'researcher'.

In fact, is that how your 'researcher' got his data?

"Ok, you say you were spat on, prove it"

"What, no corroboration? You must be lying"

Wonder how much he made from the book deal?

Again, the problem with that is that if you accept people's words with corroboration, then all those stories about a gerbil being extracted from Richard Gere's ass must be true, because you will find a whole bunch of people who claimed to be in the emergency room that night.

When in fact, a check of hospital records show that Gere was never admitted, but there has never been a SINGLE documented case of "Gerbilling".

Roswell Aliens? A whole lot of people claim they saw dead bodies being pulled from a flying saucer.

The vets are more believable than the man with a book deal.

All of a sudden the Progs "Care" about McCain and his service.

Hysterical

While simultaneously calling Vietnam vets liars In The same thread.

Libs words always ring hollow and are not to be taken seriously.

You mean, we aren't repeating dialog from Rambo as established fact?

I would be the first one to say we didn't treat Vietnam vets properly when they got back. There should have been jobs and retraining programs waiting for them, just like there were for their fathers when they got back from WWII.

But the spitting stories are lies, repeated by a right wing that wanted to deflect attention from the fact they advocated an immoral war they were happy to let others fight.

"But the spitting stories are lies, repeated..."

by vets, who WERE there.

Yup, he's calling a Medal of Honor recipient a liar, and taking the word of a man he doesn't know, because he wrote a book claiming it didn't happen.

No, i'm callling him a liar because everyone who has researched this claim has not produced ONE CONTEMPORARY ACCOUNT of returning soldiers being spat upon.

Not one.

Now you think this would have made news if it happened. Right next to "Hippies still in critical condition after spitting on battle-hardened Marine Vet".

Spitting is one of a thugs favorite sport. You should see all of the ER visits for Hep C and HIV screenings the hospitals get due to employees, hospital workers, correction officers, police etc... Getting spit on.

Yet we are supposed to believe not one anti war loon spit on anyone during the 60's and 70's

. Riiiight.

Especially when Medal of Honor recipients are on video saying they were.

Try again.
Why wouldn't a Medal of Honor recipient put the Hippie in the hospital after being spat on?

Why were all Vietnam vets so meek?

"Yes, I am a Vietnam veteran who was spat upon -- literally and figuratively. By hippies? I don't know. In the airport? Yes. San Francisco International Airport on October 11, 1971 at 3:15 p.m., and yes, I was still in uniform. […] The person who spat on me was wearing a shirt that said 'Welcome Home Baby-Killer.' …" -- Robert E. McClelland, Massillon, Ohio

"I think the date was March 7, 1972. I was in the San Francisco airport. I had just showered and put a fresh uniform (Air Force) on for my first leg home. Walking out to my gate I passed a 'hippie' who spat upon me and continued walking in the opposite direction, without a word.
I made nothing of the incident for two reasons:
(1) I was happy to be going home after 367 days in Thailand, and didn't want anything to screw it up, and
(2) Officers who get in public fights, while in uniform, are dealt with in a fairly severe fashion." - Chris Ramel, Denver, Colorado

"I am a retired Catholic chaplain who served the Air Force community for twenty years. I had two tours in Vietnam (Phan Rang and Bien Hoa). I left Bien Hoa on November 18, 1968, flew military contract aircraft to Philadelphia, and then on to New York for two weeks' leave.
While I was leaving the JFK airport to catch a bus to the city, a lady (around 43 years old) told me that 'I napalm babies' and she spit on me. I didn't take her for a 'hippie' though.
Needless to say she ruined my two weeks' leave." Father Guy Morgan, Fort Collins, Colorado
Vietnam Veterans Spit On part 2

Just a few. I guess your guy did not interview those above.

Anecdotes on a blog don't have the same credibility that actual media reports of the incidents carry.

There are thousands of hours recording antiwar protests but you can't find a single incident where a spitting incident actually happened?

We have video of people burning draft cards and throwing medals over the fence at the Whitehouse and even the video of the tragedy at Ohio State.

But not a single video clip of anyone spitting on a vet.

Why not?
Locate those persons and verify. They made their statements with their names on them. Call them, the burden is on you. If you actually bothered to read, the spittings were aimed mostly at individual solders with no cameras around.

Without independent corroboration all you have is hearsay.
There are names there to identify the persons who testified that they were spat on. It is more than hearsay no matter how you try to spin it.

Hearsay Define Hearsay at Dictionary.com

View attachment 44966

According to those accounts there were no other witnesses ergo it falls within the definition of hearsay without any independent corroboration.

You don't get to change the law to suit your own partisan agenda.

It applies equally to both sides.

There is video evidence of a Congressional Democrats being spat upon by a Tea Partier (ref 1:20 mark).

Without that evidence it would just have been hearsay.

"To report another person's words by a witness.." What it means that I heard somebody saying such and such and I am witnessing in court that I heard from such and such a person saying such and such. This is not the case here. There are names given and you just need to issue a summon for them to appear in your court to bear witness on their own. How about that? Is it fair?

Not one.

Spitting is one of a thugs favorite sport. You should see all of the ER visits for Hep C and HIV screenings the hospitals get due to employees, hospital workers, correction officers, police etc... Getting spit on.

Yet we are supposed to believe not one anti war loon spit on anyone during the 60's and 70's

. Riiiight.

Try again.
Why wouldn't a Medal of Honor recipient put the Hippie in the hospital after being spat on?

No, all of them weren't.

I've met some that were downright volatile.

and some had had enough of violence.

It was years before shrapnel stopped finding it's way out of his back.

The man that literally covered him from further damage gave his life for Gary, by taking additional shrapnel coming his way.

That someone would give their life protecting him made a very large impression on him.

One that took him almost 2 years of near isolation to come to terms with.

Despite his military training, Gary is one of the most non violent people I've met.

I'd be curious to re interview the people your researcher did, and see how many he lied about.
…or how many were actually Viet Nam vets

You mean vietnam vets who something didn't happen to?

YOu see, the thing is, it really isn't contingent on the researcher to prove vets werent' spat upon.

It's contingent upon you to prove they did.

A contemporary news story would be nice. Not what someone remembers after living in a cave for two years and found Jesus.

I understand your point, but does it really matter? There are people here that would gladly spit on you for laughing at sarah, and there have always been crazy people who do crazy things. Those boys were forced to go to war, and, as a country, we didn't give them the support they deserved when they came back. I can understand how any of them hearing about a fellow returning vet being spit upon, whether it was true or not, would take it as a personal insult. The important point is that if it did happen, it was wrong, and the entire country recognizes that, and if it didn't happen to each and every one that claims it did, that is their problem to work out. The spitting story was used to degrade liberals back then, I fail to see how it could be effectively used for that today. Today is not then.

Anecdotes on a blog don't have the same credibility that actual media reports of the incidents carry.

There are thousands of hours recording antiwar protests but you can't find a single incident where a spitting incident actually happened?

We have video of people burning draft cards and throwing medals over the fence at the Whitehouse and even the video of the tragedy at Ohio State.

But not a single video clip of anyone spitting on a vet.

Why not?
Locate those persons and verify. They made their statements with their names on them. Call them, the burden is on you. If you actually bothered to read, the spittings were aimed mostly at individual solders with no cameras around.

There are names there to identify the persons who testified that they were spat on. It is more than hearsay no matter how you try to spin it.

View attachment 44966

According to those accounts there were no other witnesses ergo it falls within the definition of hearsay without any independent corroboration.

There is video evidence of a Congressional Democrats being spat upon by a Tea Partier (ref 1:20 mark).

"To report another person's words by a witness.." What it means that I heard somebody saying such and such and I am witnessing in court that I heard from such and such a person saying such and such. This is not the case here. There are names given and you just need to issue a summon for them to appear in your court to bear witness on their own. How about that? Is it fair?

Uncorroborated testimony is hearsay.

Unless you can produce the alleged person who did the spitting and have them picked out of a line up by other witnesses all you have is hearsay.

Spitting on someone is considered to be assault under the law.

Yes spitting in the face is crime court rules Reuters

Why are there no assault charges from that era of hippies spitting on returning vets?

As a 17-year-old high school senior in 1988, she had arranged an interview with Greene for a school project. Her parents had driven her downtown and waited while she completed her assignment. A few months later, after she had graduated from high school, Greene and she saw each other several times over dinner and at least once they went to a hotel, where they had a sexual liaison.
Graduated from high school. Is it safe to assume that she was 18 yo? So Greene lied in his book to lay the 18 yo? Is that what you are saying? Your attempt to "discredit" the author with that sexual escapade thing has nothing to do with his credibility as an author of a well researched book. His career was over because he told the truth.

Not one.

. Riiiight.

Try again.

The issue was addressed in previous postings. If your attention span doesn't extend that far, whose fault is that?

Not one.

Donald Trump just spat upon POW John McCain

And you and Joe spat on all Vietnam vets and a Medal of Honor recipient.

View attachment 44966

Uncorroborated testimony is hearsay.

Unless you can produce the alleged person who did the spitting and have them picked out of a line up by other witnesses all you have is hearsay.

Spitting on someone is considered to be assault under the law.

Yes spitting in the face is crime court rules Reuters

Why are there no assault charges from that era of hippies spitting on returning vets?

I remember the era. Most vets were welcomed back and resumed their lives. The idea of being figuratively spat on became literally spat on ten years later
The media of the time would have been all over a story about returning vets being spat on.....we were still patriotic with many, many WWII and Korean vets still around
Nobody would have flinched if a hippie were beaten up for spitting

Forum List

Back