McDonald's president who made $7.4 million last year says proposal to pay fast-food workers $22 an hour is 'costly and job-destroying'

What I meant is that the unions killed us being the manufacturers of the world.
You’re still wrong. Competition did that. US companies refused to compete. Hell we taught the Japanese and Germans everything they know about mass production while our companies let quality slide and concentrated on building products that consumers didn’t want and fell apart soon after the purchase.

Not only that but these foreign drivers don't even have to take our tests to get a CDL. I know because I've watched many of them try to back in a trailer. While it's been many years since I first got my CDL, I know there is no possible way they passed the test we have to take.

Worse than that is some of them don't know a word of English. You know if they can't speak the language, they certainly can't read our road signs.
The Mexican licensed trucks don’t meet our safety or pollution standards either.

You’re still wrong. Competition did that. US companies refused to compete. Hell we taught the Japanese and Germans everything they know about mass production while our companies let quality slide and concentrated on building products that consumers didn’t want and fell apart soon after the purchase.

US companies wanted to compete but couldn't because of the cost to produce. In the 80s after the recession, Americans became very frugal. Product price became paramount in their purchase decisions over quality. Companies only tried to give their consumers what they wanted. For some, the only possible way to compete was to move their operations overseas, outsource or invest in automation.

It's still that way today. Americans choose cheap low quality products from China over the more expensive American made products. That's how Walmart became number one. The products we make in America are not that much better quality than the overseas garbage. But it's the only way for us to compete with price.

Imagine how many more jobs would be open if another 4 million retired at once.
I retired but I did not want to at the age of 62. Imagine how much better off I would have been financially had I stayed another 5 years.

I wound up selling my house and moving my wife and me in with my daughter. I pay over $700.00 a month for health insurance. My wife and I are unable to do the things we wanted to do in retirement because we cannot afford it.

It would be great news for a small businessman, the mom-and-pop hamburger stand type. But hey, what can I say? There's a limit to what people are willing to pay for a hamburger. Even though I can afford to do it myself, I'm approaching that limit. I can see little hamburger stands owned and operated by families all over the country, which would be a good thing for most people.

Think about this; When I get a hamburger at the drive-through window, I give the girl a guy at the window a dollar tip. It would help them a lot if we all did that, so think about it. Maybe you want to do it.

It would be great news for a small businessman, the mom-and-pop hamburger stand type. But hey, what can I say? There's a limit to what people are willing to pay for a hamburger. Even though I can afford to do it myself, I'm approaching that limit. I can see little hamburger stands owned and operated by families all over the country, which would be a good thing for most people.

Think about this; When I get a hamburger at the drive-through window, I give the girl a guy at the window a dollar tip. It would help them a lot if we all did that, so think about it. Maybe you want to do it.

You could be on to something here. I wouldn't tip the person at the window since it's a group effort to get the food out, but maybe McDonald's could put out a tip box, and anything collected would be split among all the workers at the restaurant. The only problem with that is then the IRS would get involved and they'd have to claim those tips whether they got them or not. Biden's IRS is now targeting tipped employees.

Forum List

Back