Mayor calls officer a murderer and hopes he's executed

Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Wow, how would you like to have your boss call for your execution BEFORE they even have the facts?
This officer was later vindicated.

This mayor is a major POS.

Wapato Officer Michael Campos Sues Mayor For $1.5 Million After Mayor Calls For His Execution

Wapato Police Officer Michael Campos Is Suing The Mayor
Wapato, WA – Wapato police officer Michael Campos has filed a $1.5 million dollar lawsuit against Mayor Tony Guzman. The lawsuit comes in response to comments made by Mayor Guzman in the days following what was later ruled a justified shooting of a domestic violence suspect involving officer Campos.

Several fellow officers have come to Campos’ defense, worried for his safety due to the Mayor’s comments. The city has until Feb. 7th to respond to the lawsuit.

The shooting happened when Wapato police officer Michael Campos and Sergeant Larry Ehrhardt responded to a domestic violence call on July 31, 2016 around 8:15 PM.

The officers got in to a confrontation with Mario Martinez Torres, 38, after arriving at the home on West 2nd. During a struggle in a small bathroom in the home, Torres attempted to disarm officer Campos and gained control of his taser. Reports show that Torres then shot Sgt. Ehrhardt with the taser and Campos, fearing for their safety, fired on Torres.

Family members and Torres’s girlfriend, a Wapato councilwoman, were present in the home and argued against the officer’s accounts. According to the Yakima Herald both officers were cleared of any wrongdoing by the Yakima County Prosecutor’s Office and the Yakima County Sheriff’s Office. Mayor Guzman, however, was not satisfied and pushed for a federal investigation. By his own account, Mayor Guzman was a friend of the suspect and knew Torres ‘since he was a baby.’

Just days after the shooting Mayor Guzman made a fiery post on Facebook directed toward officer Campos. “…What a f***ing piec of s**t!! I hope they prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law!! He deserves to die in prison!! To MURDER someone in such a calus manor deserves to be in prison!!! If not executed for murdering him in front of his family!!!….You are a disgrace to the Wapato PD…” it read. When confronted with the post, they mayor replied, “Do I regret posting it? No. Should I have worded it different? Yes.”

Wapato Officer Michael Campos Sues Mayor For $1.5 Million After Mayor Calls For His Execution

Wow, how would you like to have your boss call for your execution BEFORE they even have the facts?
This officer was later vindicated.

This mayor is a major POS.

Wapato Police Officer Michael Campos Is Suing The Mayor
Wapato, WA – Wapato police officer Michael Campos has filed a $1.5 million dollar lawsuit against Mayor Tony Guzman. The lawsuit comes in response to comments made by Mayor Guzman in the days following what was later ruled a justified shooting of a domestic violence suspect involving officer Campos.

Several fellow officers have come to Campos’ defense, worried for his safety due to the Mayor’s comments. The city has until Feb. 7th to respond to the lawsuit.

The shooting happened when Wapato police officer Michael Campos and Sergeant Larry Ehrhardt responded to a domestic violence call on July 31, 2016 around 8:15 PM.

The officers got in to a confrontation with Mario Martinez Torres, 38, after arriving at the home on West 2nd. During a struggle in a small bathroom in the home, Torres attempted to disarm officer Campos and gained control of his taser. Reports show that Torres then shot Sgt. Ehrhardt with the taser and Campos, fearing for their safety, fired on Torres.

Family members and Torres’s girlfriend, a Wapato councilwoman, were present in the home and argued against the officer’s accounts. According to the Yakima Herald both officers were cleared of any wrongdoing by the Yakima County Prosecutor’s Office and the Yakima County Sheriff’s Office. Mayor Guzman, however, was not satisfied and pushed for a federal investigation. By his own account, Mayor Guzman was a friend of the suspect and knew Torres ‘since he was a baby.’

Just days after the shooting Mayor Guzman made a fiery post on Facebook directed toward officer Campos. “…What a f***ing piec of s**t!! I hope they prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law!! He deserves to die in prison!! To MURDER someone in such a calus manor deserves to be in prison!!! If not executed for murdering him in front of his family!!!….You are a disgrace to the Wapato PD…” it read. When confronted with the post, they mayor replied, “Do I regret posting it? No. Should I have worded it different? Yes.”

What a pathetic excuse for a leader...par for the course these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cops are routinely let off, no matter how heinous their actions are. That badge is pretty much a "get out of murder charge free" card. Let me guess. His defense was "he feared for his life"...........right?

"The officers got in to a confrontation with Mario Martinez Torres, 38, after arriving at the home on West 2nd. During a struggle in a small bathroom in the home, Torres attempted to disarm officer Campos and gained control of his taser. Reports show that Torres then shot Sgt. Ehrhardt with the taser and Campos, fearing for their safety, fired on Torres."

What a prick mayor. Seriously, send those officers up here to Alaska, we'll treat them with the respect they deserve for the service they provide us. You lower 48'ers are disgusting the way you treat your officers.

Cops are routinely let off, no matter how heinous their actions are. That badge is pretty much a "get out of murder charge free" card. Let me guess. His defense was "he feared for his life"...........right?
If people didn't put them in fear for their life it would not happen.

Yes. When the subject tazes you or your partner, it is reasonable and necessary to use deadly force. Reasonable and necessary mitigate otherwise heinous acts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It looks to me that the cop who shot him was put on leave, as well as a second officer who gave conflicting statements. Both officers are being investigated and it sounds like there's a lawsuit as well.

I get that the public wants them fired, but you can thank/yell at union enforced contracts for that not being possible without extensive investigation. They also don't go to jail with their day in court.

Bad apples? Maybe. They'll be dealt with.

The officers defense is he missed his target, that's not going to fly in court - either way this officer is probably shit canned, just have to wait for the flush.

Forum List

Back