Matt Canada fired.

Couchpotato

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2021
Will this make Steelers fans realize at least 50% of the problem is the guy under center? Or will they give Pickett a pass because Canada sucked and the new guy will probably just be an interim?

Will this make Steelers fans realize at least 50% of the problem is the guy under center? Or will they give Pickett a pass because Canada sucked and the new guy will probably just be an interim?

Good question. I just heard. I watched the Browns game last weekend which the Steelers needed to win and SHOULD have won. Game was tied 10-10 with 2 minutes left. Steelers had the ball. All they had to do was eat up the clock, go down the field and kick a FG with little time left, or at least leave no time for Cleveland and take it into OT.

Instead, that useless pustule ran three passes which all failed (badly) and they went 3 and out using up only 14 seconds of clock!

And Brownies went down and kicked their own FG with only seconds left.

Thing is that, all three of Pickett's passes SUCKED. The guy stinks. He got concussed twice last year on two rather light hits, neither of which even drew a flag for RTP and I think the guy has cold feet now, afraid to stay in the pocket and find receivers. Worse, he telegraphs his plays so plainly that by the time he throws the ball, the defense has known his intended receiver for 5 minutes and are all over them like a wet blanket.

It'll be interesting to watch the Cinci game. Replacing Canada are the QB coach and another guy, both already long on the team. Tomlin has never fired a coach mid-season and I'm not sure the Steelers ever have (for a very long time) and tend to promote from within, so now they have a new offensive coordinator (bet he stays on the field) and a new play caller, so, right away, everyone will expect to see an opened up offensive play book.

And they might get Minka back. Two tough challenges for the Bengals.

So it is all up to Little Kenny now to produce.
  1. Asshole better start finding his open receivers.
  2. He better start staying in the pocket.
  3. And he better start hitting his targets with catchable passes now.
It's not like the Steelers don't have talent, they just lack discipline, and I blame that on Tomlin.

If Pittsburgh loses this game on Sunday too, two divisional games both of which they should have won and go 6-5, I count their season as LOST. They won't even make it as a wild card much less win a playoff game.

Good question. I just heard. I watched the Browns game last weekend which the Steelers needed to win and SHOULD have won. Game was tied 10-10 with 2 minutes left. Steelers had the ball. All they had to do was eat up the clock, go down the field and kick a FG with little time left, or at least leave no time for Cleveland and take it into OT.

Instead, that useless pustule ran three passes which all failed (badly) and they went 3 and out using up only 14 seconds of clock!

And Brownies went down and kicked their own FG with only seconds left.

Thing is that, all three of Pickett's passes SUCKED. The guy stinks. He got concussed twice last year on two rather light hits, neither of which even drew a flag for RTP and I think the guy has cold feet now, afraid to stay in the pocket and find receivers. Worse, he telegraphs his plays so plainly that by the time he throws the ball, the defense has known his intended receiver for 5 minutes and are all over them like a wet blanket.

It'll be interesting to watch the Cinci game. Replacing Canada are the QB coach and another guy, both already long on the team. Tomlin has never fired a coach mid-season and I'm not sure the Steelers ever have (for a very long time) and tend to promote from within, so now they have a new offensive coordinator (bet he stays on the field) and a new play caller, so, right away, everyone will expect to see an opened up offensive play book.

And they might get Minka back. Two tough challenged for the Bengals.

So it is all up to Little Kenny now to produce.
  1. Asshole better start finding his receivers.
  2. He better start staying in the pocket.
  3. And he better start hitting his targets with catchable passes now.
It's not like the Steelers don't have talent, they just lack discipline, and I blame that on Tomlin.

If Pittsburgh loses this game on Sunday too, two divisional games both of which they should have won and go 6-5, I count their season as LOST. They won't even make it as a wildc ard much less win a playoff game.

It's interesting that teams continue to keep the training wheels on QB's. Especially ones as old as Pickett. He has 4 years of starting in college, and started a bunch of games last year I think. He can either do it or he cant and you're better off figuring that out early rather than late. The Giants did this with Daniel Jones, and how's that turning out? If you can figure out your QB on a rookie deal isnt the guy it's much easier to move on from him.

It's interesting that teams continue to keep the training wheels on QB's.
I see few training wheels on QBs like CJ Stroud or DTR.

Especially ones as old as Pickett. He has 4 years of starting in college, and started a bunch of games last year I think.
Never followed his college career, but I think I've heard he was rather uneventful until his last year, then apparently led his team to success. Seems like thin creds to base a 1st round draft starting position. Last year was not a good year for QBs. Pickett was picked in the first round and I think Steelers had 17th pick. No one else wanted him. I think Steelers were influenced by the fact that they knew him from both the Steelers and Pitt college football both operating in the same building and field.

Seems to me that Pittsburgh has gotten very /political/ in their hiring; they had two Watt brothers, they have two Heyward brothers, they promote from within, they only went across the hall of their own building to find a QB because they waited way too long to replace Roethslisberger, they hired Canada from Pitt with no NFL experience, now they hired the son of an ex Steeler for cornerback (who seems to be working out), plus, the old man Dan Rooney somehow became Obumma's ambassador to Ireland! Always wondered how that happened. Steelers often have ex-players brought back on their coaching staff. Seems like a very incestuous relationship.

He can either do it or he cant and you're better off figuring that out early rather than late.
Thing is that they have Mason Rudolph for many years now as backup QB; they pulled him for a guy on their practice squad. No one in the NFL wants him. When Ben retired, instead of moving him to the starting position, they moved him to 3rd! Then they hired Trubisky as the starter. Never heard of the guy but he never looked any good. Maybe only barely a little better than Rudolph. Trubisky does nothing but throw interceptions, at least Rudolph has a deep arm.

Then they go out and get Pickett in the first round! He only looks a hair better than Trubisky. So now the Steelers have three QBs who put together, wouldn't make a fair back up. And to think of all the great QBs they passed on in recent years while they hung onto Roethlisberger. They even had Josh Dobbs for a few years and let him go too. Surely that guy is at least twice as good as Pickett looks.

Don’t ever put those 2 in the same sentence ever again LOL.

“One of these things is not like the other”

I dunno. Both are rookies and both way outplayed Kenny Pickett and kicked the Steeler's ass.

Pickett if anything is playing worse than he did last year after they brought him in like a third of the way through the season because Trubisky was so bad.

Maybe the Steelers should give Rudolph another chance?

I dunno. Both are rookies and both way outplayed Kenny Pickett and kicked the Steeler's ass.

Pickett if anything is playing worse than he did last year after they brought him in like a third of the way through the season because Trubisky was so bad.

Maybe the Steelers should give Rudolph another chance?
DTR “way outplayed”???

He had like 50% completion, 140 yds, 0 TD’s, 1 INT (should have been 2-3).

DTR was overall not good

DTR “way outplayed”???
He had like 50% completion, 140 yds, 0 TD’s, 1 INT (should have been 2-3).
DTR was overall not good

Wasn't it like his first NFL game? He played well enough to beat the Steelers and put them in #3 wildcard spot. But no, he is no CJ Stroud. Another rookie but he absolutely schooled the Steelers and kicked their asses. I merely meant that BOTH of these QBs are playing with less restraint and training wheels than I've seen out of Kenny Pickett.

Wasn't it like his first NFL game? He played well enough to beat the Steelers and put them in #3 wildcard spot. But no, he is no CJ Stroud. Another rookie but he absolutely schooled the Steelers and kicked their asses. I merely meant that BOTH of these QBs are playing with less restraint and training wheels than I've seen out of Kenny Pickett.
It was his 2nd - and he was far better than in his first game several weeks ago.
As a Browns fan I will keep my fingers crossed.
But no, he is no CJ Stroud yet.

Forum List

Back