Marxist Vegan Restaurant Goes Out of Business - I'm Shocked, Just Shocked!

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Lol, these retards really thought this stupidity could wqork and this is the kind of moron that runs the Democratic Party today.

Any questions? Of course not.

Marxist Vegan Restaurant Closes After Customers No Longer Willing to Wait 40 Minutes for a Sandwich

A “Marxist” “collectivist” “worker-run” restaurant in Grand Rapids, Michigan, closed its doors this week after customers complained that they could no longer tolerate the bizarre hours, high prices and long lines.

The Garden Diner and Cafe—previously known as the Bartertown Diner—featured a vegan, vegetarian and raw food menu that had met with significant national acclaim. But the restaurant’s business model, which did not allow for bosses or managers, promised a “living wage” to all employees and a strong union, did not allow the restaurant to make enough profit to stay in business....

Worse still, while the food earned Bartertown a spot on VegNews’s “10 Hot New Vegan Restaurants” list, customers complained that it was almost impossible to get a meal at the diner.

People frequently noted on the restaurant’s Facebook page that they waited more than 40 minutes for a sandwich—and that’s when the diner was even open. Because the employees set the shop’s hours by group decision, the restaurant opened and closed at random times, leaving potential sandwich buyers totally confused.

It turns out, in a shocking revelation to the store’s management, that those Soviet bread lines were a bug, not a feature of Communism.

roflmao

Co-ops used to be really good. It just takes people who really get into the work aspect.

Obviously they were a whimsical crew.

We had a christian cafe here, creepy tracts glued up on the walls of the (unisex) bathroom, mediocre cold sandwiches food, high prices and, though always empty, a very long wait. Not surprising that it closed down.

And then it burned down.

Bet it was insured.

Hey, I see they're selling the place.

I'm sure they'll distribute any profit among the workers, right?

They REALLY didn't build that.

:rolleyes-41:

I dont see how a group of people can decide to not have regular business hours, over-pay their workers, leave no one in charge and responsible and have crappy service with 40 minute wait times and think that anything is going to result from all that chaos other than they are going to go out of business.

What freaking planet are these morons from?

BTW, I like business co-ops, and worker owned businesses, but some things are very basic to running a profitable company and these guys did not have a grasp of the most basic things.

Sheesh.

I dont see how a group of people can decide to not have regular business hours, over-pay their workers, leave no one in charge and responsible and have crappy service with 40 minute wait times and think that anything is going to result from all that chaos other than they are going to go out of business.

BTW, I like business co-ops, and worker owned businesses, but some things are very basic to running a profitable company and these guys did not have a grasp of the most basic things.

Sheesh.
what is your u,s, map showing? Why is Utah blue?

Sheesh.
This is what happens when ideology overcomes reason, as it so often does.

This case was just a little more, uh. VIVID.

:laugh:

Co-ops used to be really good. It just takes people who really get into the work aspect.

Obviously they were a whimsical crew.
'Co Ops' never have worked. Unless there's someone who has the power to make final decisions.

But that means the co op isn't a Co op anymore. LOL
A distant family member and her husband bought into the whole 'Co Op' trip in the seventies.
Five couples. Four with young kids. Only my relation and her husband had 'good paying jobs'.
They sold their house. Stupidly put all their money into 'the pot'.
As they were the only people who could make any decent money it was decided among the 'community' they should continue to go to work and bring their pay cheques back to he 'community.
They soon discovered the other members were ALL fucking slack-ass dopers who did sweet fuck all all day besides fucking each others partners and 'make more babies'.
After a year of this bullshit my relations left the 'community.
It lasted another couple of months before the 'Takers' moved on to suck off someone else's teat.
Maggie Thatcher said: "Communism is a great idea until you run out of other people's money".

what is your u,s, map showing? Why is Utah blue?
That is a county level map of the USA showing how much change there was in the vote from 1012 to 2016 in the POTUS election.

The more red the higher a percentage of the vote switched from Obama to Trump, and the darker the blue the higher the switch from GOP to anything else.

It is intended to illustrate what a disaster the Clinton campaign was.

We had a christian cafe here, creepy tracts glued up on the walls of the (unisex) bathroom, mediocre cold sandwiches food, high prices and, though always empty, a very long wait. Not surprising that it closed down.

And then it burned down.

Bet it was insured.

Are you implying arson? Do you have proof?

'Co Ops' never have worked. Unless there's someone who has the power to make final decisions.

No, that is not a valid generalization, despite your personal experience with it. Co-ops are actually more successful than most corporations and small businesses.

For example Credit Unions are co-ops and very successful models that could replace banks in most situations.

Cooperative - Wikipedia

It was estimated that in 2012 approximately one billion people were members of at least one cooperative[2] and that the turnover of the largest three hundred cooperatives in the world reached $2.2 trillion – which, if they were to be a country, it would make them the seventh largest.[3]

In short, a coop can be defined as "a jointly owned enterprise engaging in the production or distribution of goods or the supplying of services, operated by its members for their mutual benefit, typically organized by consumers or farmers."[4] Cooperative businesses are typically more economically resilient than many other forms of enterprise, with twice the number of co-operatives (80%) surviving their first five years compared with other business ownership models (41%).[5] Cooperatives frequently have social goals which they aim to accomplish by investing a proportion of trading profits back into their communities. As an example of this, in 2013, retail co-operatives in the UK invested 6.9% of their pre-tax profits in the communities in which they trade as compared with 2.4% for other rival supermarkets.[6]

And then it burned down.

Bet it was insured.

Nuddly is only implying that he is an anti-Christian bigot of the lowest order, which is entirely true, unfortunately.

And then it burned down.

Bet it was insured.

Nuddly is only implying that he is an anti-Christian bigot of the lowest order, which is entirely true, unfortunately.

That's not an implication. It's clear Nuddly is that way.

This is what happens when ideology overcomes reason, as it so often does.
This case was just a little more, uh. VIVID.

:laugh:
I think that ideology is a substitute for actual independent thought by lazy people.

No, that is not a valid generalization, despite your personal experience with it. Co-ops are actually more successful than most corporations and small businesses.

For example Credit Unions are co-ops and very successful models that could replace banks in most situations.

Cooperative - Wikipedia

It was estimated that in 2012 approximately one billion people were members of at least one cooperative[2] and that the turnover of the largest three hundred cooperatives in the world reached $2.2 trillion – which, if they were to be a country, it would make them the seventh largest.[3]

In short, a coop can be defined as "a jointly owned enterprise engaging in the production or distribution of goods or the supplying of services, operated by its members for their mutual benefit, typically organized by consumers or farmers."[4] Cooperative businesses are typically more economically resilient than many other forms of enterprise, with twice the number of co-operatives (80%) surviving their first five years compared with other business ownership models (41%).[5] Cooperatives frequently have social goals which they aim to accomplish by investing a proportion of trading profits back into their communities. As an example of this, in 2013, retail co-operatives in the UK invested 6.9% of their pre-tax profits in the communities in which they trade as compared with 2.4% for other rival supermarkets.[6]
Apples and oranges.
Large 'Co Ops' are ultimately run by directors voted for by the members.
Literally zero difference than a corporation with a board of directors voted in by the shareholders.
In the end it always has to come down to every group must have it's leaders> Apple.
The 'members' of the restaurant believed they could survive by running the business with a 'consensus' model.
Didn't work. Dosen't work. Never has worked. Never will work>Orange.
Even in Communist countries there are always the 'leader class' to oversee the eventual collapse of the Communist model.
These 'leaders' live lives of opulence while the half starved masses line up for hours for a loaf of bread.
The FIRST thing any group of people does who find themselves in a survival situation is to identify a leader. It's human nature going back to the cave man days.
A few vegan man-bun' dopers all working 'hours of convenience' at a restaurant has once again proven the point.

Apples and oranges.
Literally zero difference than a corporation with a board of directors voted in by the shareholders.

No, co-ops are not run for a profit motive, but for the advantage of its membership, where the corporation is run primarily for profit.

For example while a bank will likely charge the interest rates that the market and law will allow, credit unions only charge what they think covers their costs and risks, which is why I am in a credit union rather than a bankster union.

In the end it always has to come down to every group must have it's leaders> Apple.
The 'members' of the restaurant believed they could survive by running the business with a 'consensus' model.

Oh, without a doubt, leadership evolved within the human race as a survival mechanism and ideological horse shit will never over come that simple shard from Reality.

Even in Communist countries there are always the 'leader class' to oversee the eventual collapse of the Communist model.
These 'leaders' live lives of opulence while the half starved masses line up for hours for a loaf of bread.
The FIRST thing any group of people does who find themselves in a survival situation is to identify a leader. It's human nature going back to the cave man days.
A few vegan man-bun' dopers all working 'hours of convenience' at a restaurant has once again proven the point.

Lol, it has with no doubt, but once again, the co-op as a business model is the most survivable for obvious reasons, and what this diner was doing was not really a co-op intended to survive but was a MARXIST social experiment doomed to very predictable failure.

Apples and oranges.

No, co-ops are not run for a profit motive, but for the advantage of its membership, where the corporation is run primarily for profit.

For example while a bank will likely charge the interest rates that the market and law will allow, credit unions only charge what they think covers their costs and risks, which is why I am in a credit union rather than a bankster union.

Oh, without a doubt, leadership evolved within the human race as a survival mechanism and ideological horse shit will never over come that simple shard from Reality.

Lol, it has with no doubt, but once again, the co-op as a business model is the most survivable for obvious reasons, and what this diner was doing was not really a co-op intended to survive but was a MARXIST social experiment doomed to very predictable failure.
I too am a Co Op member.
My yearly Co op financial statement for the last thirty years has always shown a nice fat profit margin.
The members invest and expect a gain on their investment comparable to what a conventional bank promises.
I don't see much daylight these days between a CoOp bank and a conventional bank.
Yes a few decades ago Co OPs were a slightly cheaper place to borrow money but not today. At least not with my Co Op.
The biggest newest fanciest tallest building near where I live is the Credit Union building.

Forum List

Back