Man Killed By His Own Dogs -- How Could This Happen?

I can tell a Doberman from a Beagle any day. And most pit bulls look alike.
Try this:
FIND THE PITBULL
Only one of the pictures below features the real American PitBull Terrier. Take the test to see if you can find it. To find the breed of a dog, click on image. Note there are no mixes or rescue dogs of unknown background who's breed could be debated. All dogs have been picked from breeders' websites and should be good representatives of their breed.​
When you are done, ask your family and friends to take to test and watch the results. For many people, a Pit Bull is a a big headed dog, or a dog with cropped ears. For some it's a brindle dog, a big, stocky dog, or one with an eye patch.​
Quite often dogs that attack are identified as pit bulls when they are not. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly incorrectly identified as pit bulls. Visit Understand-a-bull for more information.

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

I once had a dog who was the offspring of an AKC registered champion Brittany Spaniel and an AKC registered Black Labrador retriever who looked like a pit bull cross. People sometimes asked if he was because of his slanted eyes and wide jaw. He would attack any male dog that came near him and any children too. Had any of the owners or parents of dogs or children he attacked made complaints to the police, he would undoubtedly be labeled by them a pit pull mix. Fortunately with time and training he stopped being aggressive and even came to like kids.

Another very dangerous dog I took care of was a Rhodesian Ridgeback who, were it not for the cowlick down his backbone could easily have been confused with a pit bull. Unfortunately he had to be put euthanized because no one would adopt him.

People think they know what a pit bull is, but really, the term "pit bull" has come to mean a canine sort of Bogeyman. Pit bull dogs are a lightening rod for many people's irrational fears and class hatred.

I once had a dog who was the offspring of an AKC registered champion Brittany Spaniel and an AKC registered Black Labrador retriever who looked like a pit bull cross. People sometimes asked if he was because of his slanted eyes and wide jaw. He would attack any male dog that came near him and any children too. Had any of the owners or parents of dogs or children he attacked made complaints to the police, he would undoubtedly be labeled by them a pit pull mix. Fortunately with time and training he stopped being aggressive and even came to like kids.

Another very dangerous dog I took care of was a Rhodesian Ridgeback who, were it not for the cowlick down his backbone could easily have been confused with a pit bull. Unfortunately he had to be put euthanized because no one would adopt him.

People think they know what a pit bull is, but really, the term "pit bull" has come to mean a canine sort of Bogeyman. Pit bull dogs are a lightening rod for many people's irrational fears and class hatred.

Pits are a very misunderstood breed.

I once spoke with a guy involved in dog fighting.

He told me that way back when fighting was not against the law and fights were held all the time if a dog showed agression towards a human that dog automatically put down by the owner. Didn't matter how good a fighter this dog was, agression towards humans was not tolerated. He said that made it easier to handle the dogs during a fight. Go figure.

Did I believe him?? He had no reason to lie about it.

Funny how things change. You now have pitbulls going after people all the time. May other breeds as well.

I don't own a pit but have friends that do. They love their dogs and wouldn 't have any other breed.

Try this:
FIND THE PITBULL
Only one of the pictures below features the real American PitBull Terrier. Take the test to see if you can find it. To find the breed of a dog, click on image. Note there are no mixes or rescue dogs of unknown background who's breed could be debated. All dogs have been picked from breeders' websites and should be good representatives of their breed.​
When you are done, ask your family and friends to take to test and watch the results. For many people, a Pit Bull is a a big headed dog, or a dog with cropped ears. For some it's a brindle dog, a big, stocky dog, or one with an eye patch.​
Quite often dogs that attack are identified as pit bulls when they are not. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly incorrectly identified as pit bulls. Visit Understand-a-bull for more information.

Number 7 ?

Try this:
FIND THE PITBULL

Took the challenge.

Took me 4 tries to find the pit.

So many bully breeds out there. Makes it easy to see why everything that looks bully would be a pit to almost anyone.

Try this:
FIND THE PITBULL

Took the challenge.

So many bully breeds out there. Makes it easy to see why everything that looks bully would be a pit to almost anyone.

Oh, I didn't click I just guessed. :redface: I see now which one it is.

He told me that way back when fighting was not against the law and fights were held all the time if a dog showed agression towards a human that dog automatically put down by the owner. Didn't matter how good a fighter this dog was, agression towards humans was not tolerated. He said that made it easier to handle the dogs during a fight. Go figure.

Funny how things change. You now have pitbulls going after people all the time. May other breeds as well.

I don't own a pit but have friends that do. They love their dogs and wouldn 't have any other breed.
I'm not sure I would believe anything a person who was involved in dog fighting said. Sounds like he was trying to justify making it legal.
Any dog has the potential to be dangerous. What is dangerous is people getting the false impression that some breeds are perfectly safe and others are not. Breed has so very little to do with it. They are all the same species and it's how the dog has been raised and it's age that make the biggest difference.

Another very dangerous dog I took care of was a Rhodesian Ridgeback who, were it not for the cowlick down his backbone could easily have been confused with a pit bull. Unfortunately he had to be euthanized because no one would adopt him.

I'm not sure I would believe anything a person who was involved in dog fighting said. Sounds like he was trying to justify making it legal.
Any dog has the potential to be dangerous. What is dangerous is people getting the false impression that some breeds are perfectly safe and others are not. Breed has so very little to do with it. They are all the same species and it's how the dog has been raised and it's age that make the biggest difference.

Try this:
FIND THE PITBULL

Took the challenge.

Oh, I didn't click I just guessed. :redface: I see now which one it is.
It took me about 5 tries to find it.

Actually, this is true. Fighting dogs are conditioned to be aggresive towards other dogs. If one of those dogs show aggression towards a person, the other people would not tolerate such a dog. It would have to be put down because the other fighters wouldn't allow a human-aggressive dog to be let loose in a ring (note: the "ring" is a circular wall about two feet high)

I will GUARANTEE you that a pit bull was involved.
You cannot guarantee anything of the sort.

Then your uncle was a stupid fucker that didn't know dogs.

I can tell you several stories about two dobermans I had. I'll add some later. Right now I gotta fuck with some stupid pseudo-dog lovers.

...and you sold the rest of them, including the eight adults you've owned. You are a fucking puppy mill.

You don't understand miniature dogs very well, do you. Fritz, the miniature Doberman of days gone by...could teach you a fucking lesson.

Yep! He's a moron. I think I know him from another board long ago...claims to have been there and done that no matter the topic, owns a lot of exotic shit, has a wife that drives a Jag, keeps horses, keeps falcons, raises big dogs, keeps geese in the front lawn to amuse his children, has a marble fence around his spread in western USA, thinks he's shit on a stick...yep, a moron indeed...prolly lives in a double-wide somewhere in lalaland.

No. You're a moron because that's the way God made you.

Mostly you are a moron for breeding and selling puppies. As if there weren't enough homeless dogs already.
HE can't help being a moron. God made him that way.

Still don't think I would consider him a puppy miller. Millers have multiple females that they breed every time they come in season. This guy has one male, one female that he breeds once a year.

He only breeds one pair because that's what fits his lifestyle.

If he truly cared about his dogs, he would get them spayed and nuetered. Not doing this puts his dogs at risk of coming down with some awful, and fatal, conditions. It also would eliminate the burden that pregnancy puts on the female. Fixing the dogs also eliminates the possibility, no matter how small, of accidently causing another litter (ie his female gets impregnated by a loose dog, or his male impregantes a different female)

How do you happen to know this, sangha?

When Castro took over Cuba, my grandparents sheltered Cuban refugees. They became fanily friends. They once took my family to a dogfight. Going was a weekly event for them.

Actually, this is true. Fighting dogs are conditioned to be aggresive towards other dogs. If one of those dogs show aggression towards a person, the other people would not tolerate such a dog. It would have to be put down because the other fighters wouldn't allow a human-aggressive dog to be let loose in a ring (note: the "ring" is a circular wall about two feet high)
I question the dog fighter's motive for putting forth that fact. Seems he wants to make it seem like dog fighters are somehow ethical people. I don't doubt that fighting dogs that cross the line and attack humans are put down. But I'm pretty certain that line is crossed more with dogs that are put through the torture of being made into killers than with dogs that are raised as pets.

Last edited:
Judgmental much, sangha? ConHog ain't doin' things your way so he's wrong?

It's a proven fact that not spaying/nuetering your dogs increases the risk of them contracting a number of fatal conditions. It is a proven fact that breeding a dog every year puts a burden on the dogs health. It is a proven fact that millions of dogs, including Great Danes, are killed every year due to an overpopulation of dogs.

It sounds more like, if someone disagrees with you, you'll attack them with a leading question, even if the facts show that you're wrong. Your made up daffynitions aside, conjob perfectly fits the profile of what's called a "backyard breeder" which is a category distinct from "responsible breeder"

You cannot guarantee anything of the sort.

Then your uncle was a stupid fucker that didn't know dogs.

I can tell you several stories about two dobermans I had. I'll add some later. Right now I gotta fuck with some stupid pseudo-dog lovers.

...and you sold the rest of them, including the eight adults you've owned. You are a fucking puppy mill.

You don't understand miniature dogs very well, do you. Fritz, the miniature Doberman of days gone by...could teach you a fucking lesson.

Yep! He's a moron. I think I know him from another board long ago...claims to have been there and done that no matter the topic, owns a lot of exotic shit, has a wife that drives a Jag, keeps horses, keeps falcons, raises big dogs, keeps geese in the front lawn to amuse his children, has a marble fence around his spread in western USA, thinks he's shit on a stick...yep, a moron indeed...prolly lives in a double-wide somewhere in lalaland.

No. You're a moron because that's the way God made you.

HE can't help being a moron. God made him that way.

Still don't think I would consider him a puppy miller. Millers have multiple females that they breed every time they come in season. This guy has one male, one female that he breeds once a year.

If he truly cared about his dogs, he would get them spayed and neutered. Not doing this puts his dogs at risk of coming down with some awful, and fatal, conditions. It also would eliminate the burden that pregnancy puts on the female. Fixing the dogs also eliminates the possibility, no matter how small, of accidently causing another litter (ie his female gets impregnated by a loose dog, or his male impregantes a different female)

Let me address a few things.

First, to the person who said I've had 8 adults that I've sold? HUH? I've never sold an adult animal. You do understand that being 39 y/o I've had a few dogs right, they die or whatever over time, so I get new ones. I had my first Great Dane when I was like 5. although actually that would be my parents dog obviously.

Now on to Sangha, who doesn't really care about dogs, just an excuse to pick a fight with me again. :lol:

You have zero credible evidence that shows that not spading and or neutering my adult Danes in unhealthy. In fact quite the opposite, there is credible evidence to suggest that having puppies is healthy for a female until age 5, mine is 4. At age 5 she will be spade. It will only make sense to also get the male neutered at that time as well.

As for your concerns that they either the male may get another female pregnant or the female may get pregnant by another male. I live on a farm, my nearest neighbor is 5 miles away, AND my Danes are confined to their 2 acre yard which is guarded by an 8' fence, when their not in the house of course. The chances of said pregnancy happening are nil.

There is a such thing as responsible breeding and is necessary if we want to keep this beautiful breed around, which I most certainly do.

If he truly cared about his dogs, he would get them spayed and neutered. Not doing this puts his dogs at risk of coming down with some awful, and fatal, conditions. It also would eliminate the burden that pregnancy puts on the female. Fixing the dogs also eliminates the possibility, no matter how small, of accidently causing another litter (ie his female gets impregnated by a loose dog, or his male impregantes a different female)

Let me address a few things.

You have zero credible evidence that shows that not spading and or neutering my adult Danes in unhealthy. In fact quite the opposite, there is credible evidence to suggest that having puppies is healthy for a female until age 5, mine is 4. At age 5 she will be spade. It will only make sense to also get the male neutered at that time as well.

The AKC, along with many other prominent and credible animal welfare agencies disagree. But since you have proven yourself oblivious to the facts, I'm sure you'll believe what some obscure website says, so long as it backs you up. Meanwhile, all the responsible people and orgs involved agree that backyard breeders like yourself are contributing to the problem and putting your pets health at risk

As for your concerns that they either the male may get another female pregnant or the female may get pregnant by another male. I live on a farm, my nearest neighbor is 5 miles away, AND my Danes are confined to their 2 acre yard which is guarded by an 8' fence, when their not in the house of course. The chances of said pregnancy happening are nil.

Just another clueless dogowner saying "But my dog would never do that!!"

Dogs dig. Dogs climb fences. Fences come down. Owners open gates when they leave. Accidents happen. Your insistence that it's impossible only proves your inability to deal with the facts.

There is a such thing as responsible breeding and is necessary if we want to keep this beautiful breed around, which I most certainly do.

And the ever dependable "I'm not doing it for *ME*!!! I'm selflessly doing it for the breed!!"

What a load!! GD's have been around a lot longer than you have, and they'll be around long after you're gone and it has nothing to do with you.

Last edited:
There's no evidence that the guy abused the dogs, neglected, them, etc. How could a troupe of domesticated dogs do this?

Lorain County man mauled to death by stray dogs family had rescued | cleveland.com

As the story says, if dogs develop a pack mentality, they've been known to do that. Dogs also have excellent memories, and if those were strays, some of them may have been severely abused by "man" which they wouldn't forget. Older dogs aren't to be trusted either, because if they are ill or lame, or just plain tired, they can get ugly (just like people!). My cocker spaniel that I had for 15 years came from a puppy mill and I had to be careful not to lunge at him, even in play, or he would bare his teeth, in spite of the fact that he had been spoiled rotten.

Forum List

Back