Making our own cheesesteaks

I haven't had a Jersey Mike's Cheese Steak... one of my favorites where I used to live was Penn Station. I don't know if that is really a national chain though.

This was Hawaii ?

dooog.jpg

View attachment 299187
Have them slice underbelly chuck. More fat so more flavor and $3-$3.50 or so.
~Ummz are the Spam of the red meat world
I like Spam...... :lol:
My mom said " we're having meatloaf" = uncan the Spam with the toy train key(included----I'm an old guy). She'd roll it 3-4 times in an iron skillet, grab a can of corn and it was on !
Thumb it up if you know the "train key" reference.

You mean they don't use the key anymore???

As you can tell, I haven't had spam in a few years to know this
Last time I had some was in Hawaii. I was so baked I'm not sure which island ! We lived in a treehouse on the beach tho ! WAY back

View attachment 299188

Is that you Russell Crow? Why are you wearing glasses?

Keeps them curly hairs outa me eyes when Iza eating mate !
Crow. Scrawny lil prick
dooog.jpg

This was Hawaii ?

View attachment 299189
View attachment 299187
I like Spam...... :lol:
My mom said " we're having meatloaf" = uncan the Spam with the toy train key(included----I'm an old guy). She'd roll it 3-4 times in an iron skillet, grab a can of corn and it was on !

Last time I had some was in Hawaii. I was so baked I'm not sure which island ! We lived in a treehouse on the beach tho ! WAY back

View attachment 299188

Crow. Scrawny lil prick
View attachment 299189

Is your buddy wearing that hub cap as a necklace? He's ahead of his time.

This was Hawaii ?

View attachment 299189
View attachment 299187

View attachment 299188

Crow. Scrawny lil prick
View attachment 299189

LOL. 70's stuff for the local clan crowd to understand
The original Hawaii crowd was rich California fucks escaping "Mezkins and niigrz" invading Californias Golden State. Racist motherfuckers. Made the south look accommodating

I haven't had a Jersey Mike's Cheese Steak... one of my favorites where I used to live was Penn Station. I don't know if that is really a national chain though.
When we lived in Reston VA we would have NEVER contemplated going to a chain sub shop or chain pizza place not with Lucias Italian Ristoraunte just a half mile away. Now they made some AWESOME cheesesteaks.
The funny thing is Subway was right next door........ and they were sumetimes busy.

My mistake, there was a chain sub shop we'd go to, Quiznos but that was it.

When we lived in Reston VA we would have NEVER contemplated going to a chain sub shop or chain pizza place not with Lucias Italian Ristoraunte just a half mile away. Now they made some AWESOME cheesesteaks.
The funny thing is Subway was right next door........ and they were sumetimes busy.

Just watched a video the other day of why Quiznos shrunk away to near nothingness.

Just watched a video the other day of why Quiznos shrunk away to near nothingness.
Too much competition? :dunno:
For me it was they stopped making their wonderful BLT subs which is pretty much the only sub they made that I liked.

For me it was they stopped making their wonderful BLT subs which is pretty much the only sub they made that I liked.

Not too long, about 11 minutes. Let's just say like most things, greed will always be someone's downfall.

Not too long, about 11 minutes. Let's just say like most things, greed will always be someone's downfall.

I did look it up and it was a combination of events and a weak business model from the get go. Greed had little to do with it. Their three biggest problems were low volume unit output in a saturated market (low profit margin), attempting to compete with Subway's discounts then came the third hit, the recession. Granted the leveraged buyout didn't help any but leveraged buyouts happen all the time. Here every single one of these issues hit Quiznos at roughly the same time. Due to all the above they lost 90% of their market share in a decade, no one could survive that. As always happens in these situations the franchisees are left holding the bag.

I did look it up and it was a combination of events and a weak business model from the get go. Greed had little to do with it. Their three biggest problems were low volume unit output in a saturated market (low profit margin), attempting to compete with Subway's discounts then came the third hit, the recession. Granted the leveraged buyout didn't help any but leveraged buyouts happen all the time. Here every single one of these issues hit Quiznos at roughly the same time. Due to all the above they lost 90% of their market share in a decade, no one could survive that. As always happens in these situations the franchisees are left holding the bag.

Well they tried to sell as man franchises as possible, but yet didn't give a lot of support to franchise owners. Then they got greedy and instead of simply telling franchises where to buy all their items from to make sure every store tasted the same, they started buying the stuff and selling it to all the franchises at a mark up making money that way as well.

Then of course their biggest selling point was their subs were toasted... and then Subway started toasting their's as well which hurt a lot.

I also liked eating at Schlotzsky's or however you spell it, back in the day.

Well they tried to sell as man franchises as possible, but yet didn't give a lot of support to franchise owners. Then they got greedy and instead of simply telling franchises where to buy all their items from to make sure every store tasted the same, they started buying the stuff and selling it to all the franchises at a mark up making money that way as well.

Then of course their biggest selling point was their subs were toasted... and then Subway started toasting their's as well which hurt a lot.

Honestly what your you tube video shows is only a small part of the whole story which is why I don't take you tube videos without a healthy dose of salt if not a whole salt mine........ In most instances like this they're heavily propagandized, i e one sided.

Honestly what your you tube video shows is only a small part of the whole story which is why I don't take you tube videos without a healthy dose of salt if not a whole salt mine........ In most instances like this they're heavily propagandized, i e one sided.

Oh I'm sure that is true, but it is true that the biggest advertisement for Quizno's was that they toasted their subs, which Subway started doing. What *I* liked about quizno's was you could pick and put your own peppers on your sub at their special little bar.

We tried out Jersey Mike's cheesesteaks not long ago and they were good but at $18 for two that get's expensive fast.
So I picked up some Steak-umms, provolone, hoagie rolls, tomatoes and lettuce (the wife likes the latter two on hers).

Cooks up fast, you can add salt or not if you choose, onions and peppers if you choose, I like onions. Mine are better and and about a quarter of the price per sandwich.
Steakums? NO NO NONONO NO NO!
That's sacrilegious.
If you are gonna go that route at least buy the better sliced steak the kind that comes in frozen pinwheels you can get at Walmart great value brand.

They sell foldable meat slicers, as long as the meat is partly frozen you can cut any steak even london broil and chuck real real thin to make your own fresh tender steak sandwiches.
Can of crushed tomatoes like hunts with garlic powder salt onion powder oregano and parm cheese makes a good sauce for the pizza steak.
Publix Italian roll or Walmart loaf of French bread makes a good roll for them.

We tried out Jersey Mike's cheesesteaks not long ago and they were good but at $18 for two that get's expensive fast.
So I picked up some Steak-umms, provolone, hoagie rolls, tomatoes and lettuce (the wife likes the latter two on hers).

Cooks up fast, you can add salt or not if you choose, onions and peppers if you choose, I like onions. Mine are better and and about a quarter of the price per sandwich.

Steakums can be expensive too. Might be cheaper if you ask someone in the meat department to cut some skirt steak really thin
Sadly most grocers won't do that anymore, and it's preferred to cut steak thinner and easier by doing it on a partly frozen steak.

Agree, except for the processed processed cheese-like substance.

The original Philly cheesesteak uses Cheese Whiz.
Yuck. I use my own, homemade cheese. Sorry. I like homemade stuff, or organic, non-GMO food. Moose and homemade goat cheese make the best cheese steak sammich for me. Pretty sure my neighbors would agree.

I like extra-GMO foods.
That's ok. You're welcome to all you can get. Forgive me if I choose to forgo such modern conveniences.
Are you the one who makes a mean weed rat stew?
Nah. Don't use weed or rat.

Next time try thin sliced round, they'll be even better.

This was Hawaii ?

View attachment 299189
View attachment 299187

View attachment 299188

Keeps them curly hairs outa me eyes when Iza eating mate !Rea
Crow. Scrawny lil prick
View attachment 299189

LOL. 70's stuff for the local clan crowd to understand
The original Hawaii crowd was rich California fucks escaping "Mezkins and niigrz" invading Californias Golden State. Racist motherfuckers. Made the south look accommodating
Really? I thought they wuz a bunch of Japaneeze wanting premium guuf corses to play on.

SO....they couldn't compete.

SO....they couldn't compete.

More like the foundation they built their company on was no longer unique and they failed to adapt.

Holy cow I haven't had Steak-umms for yeeaaars.
I remember them as a young'un.

Forum List

Back