Major lifestyle change -terrified and excited - thoughts please

Tresha91203

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2012
South Louisiana
Major lifestyle change -terrified and excited - thoughts please:

Here is my current situation. I work long hours as the Director (more like retail management but service, not inventory ... the title has always seemed off to me). When I took the position, the center closed every year for a week at Thanksgiving and 2 weeks Xmas through New Years. We have always been closed Fridays and Sundays.

Last year, the Board mandated all centers be open Fridays, the week of Thanksgiving except Thanksgiving day, and Xmas break except for Christmas day and New Year's day. My salary remained the same: $30K, 401k match up to 5% and half match the 6th%. Employer pays half my health insurance but none of husband's, who I am required to carry on my policy since my employer offers it. I am working 9am-7pm Mon-Thur, 12pm-7pm Fridays, and 9am-1pm every other Saturday, but someone ALWAYS calls in Saturday, so its every Saturday. I am very good at my job, but when you break it down, I'm averaging $12/hour and am paying $600+ per month for health insurance.

I live on a compound with 2 houses, a mobile, a cottage and a 24x30 shop with a bay, all on 3 acres. We rent out the largest house for 2K per month, which covers the mortgage, escrow (ins and taxes handled through that escrow acct), and about half the utilities for the compound. Only electric is metered separately. Water, garbage, cable, high speed internet, gas and septic are shared. I don't need much to live on but I do need something.

Mom has Hajimotos (sp), which is both hyperthyroid and hypothyroid at the same time, an autoimmune disease. She also has a deginerative spine disease (also autoimmune), stenosis and arthritis. She is deteriorating. She lives in the cottage behind my house so we have been able to provide for all her physical and emotional needs. My MIL, who also lives on the property has been an amazing help when I am working. Recently, she has been falling, losing time, and has been diagnosed with early dementia. I need to be home more.

Husband is a great guy overall, but has not been very reliable due to alcohol relapses every year or two, and bouts of agorophobia and general anxiety. He is excellent with property maintenance and improvements, including: renos, plumbing, electric, car repair and even cooking/cleaning. I plan to keep him unless he spirals back into the bottle.

I have applied for a cashier position at the family owned convenience store next door for a dependable income, although a cut. I truly love laundry, sooths my OCD, and there is a demand for pickup/dropoff laundry services due to the high volume of plant workers brought in for turnarounds. There are 90 plants in my area and several are on turnaround at any given time. I have 3 washers and 3 driers in our laundry room. My research shows it takes $5 per load at a washeteria, and they have to sit there for 2 hours. I am relatively confident I can pull in $500 per month with laundry (20 loads per month). If I dedicate one set of machines for cloth diapers, who knows? Cashiering will bring another $500 per month working weekends mostly but maybe some evenings. We can rent out half the shop for boat or rv storage for $125 per month. We can make it on that, but I am scared.

Thoughts?

Here is my current situation. I work long hours as the Director (more like retail management but service, not inventory ... the title has always seemed off to me). When I took the position, the center closed every year for a week at Thanksgiving and 2 weeks Xmas through New Years. We have always been closed Fridays and Sundays.

Last year, the Board mandated all centers be open Fridays, the week of Thanksgiving except Thanksgiving day, and Xmas break except for Christmas day and New Year's day. My salary remained the same: $30K, 401k match up to 5% and half match the 6th%. Employer pays half my health insurance but none of husband's, who I am required to carry on my policy since my employer offers it. I am working 9am-7pm Mon-Thur, 12pm-7pm Fridays, and 9am-1pm every other Saturday, but someone ALWAYS calls in Saturday, so its every Saturday. I am very good at my job, but when you break it down, I'm averaging $12/hour and am paying $600+ per month for health insurance.

I live on a compound with 2 houses, a mobile, a cottage and a 24x30 shop with a bay, all on 3 acres. We rent out the largest house for 2K per month, which covers the mortgage, escrow (ins and taxes handled through that escrow acct), and about half the utilities for the compound. Only electric is metered separately. Water, garbage, cable, high speed internet, gas and septic are shared. I don't need much to live on but I do need something.

Mom has Hajimotos (sp), which is both hyperthyroid and hypothyroid at the same time, an autoimmune disease. She also has a deginerative spine disease (also autoimmune), stenosis and arthritis. She is deteriorating. She lives in the cottage behind my house so we have been able to provide for all her physical and emotional needs. My MIL, who also lives on the property has been an amazing help when I am working. Recently, she has been falling, losing time, and has been diagnosed with early dementia. I need to be home more.

Husband is a great guy overall, but has not been very reliable due to alcohol relapses every year or two, and bouts of agorophobia and general anxiety. He is excellent with property maintenance and improvements, including: renos, plumbing, electric, car repair and even cooking/cleaning. I plan to keep him unless he spirals back into the bottle.

I have applied for a cashier position at the family owned convenience store next door for a dependable income, although a cut. I truly love laundry, sooths my OCD, and there is a demand for pickup/dropoff laundry services due to the high volume of plant workers brought in for turnarounds. There are 90 plants in my area and several are on turnaround at any given time. I have 3 washers and 3 driers in our laundry room. My research shows it takes $5 per load at a washeteria, and they have to sit there for 2 hours. I am relatively confident I can pull in $500 per month with laundry (20 loads per month). If I dedicate one set of machines for cloth diapers, who knows? Cashiering will bring another $500 per month working weekends mostly but maybe some evenings. We can rent out half the shop for boat or rv storage for $125 per month. We can make it on that, but I am scared.

Thoughts?
Get someone in the family to become a CNA and join an agency. Then have your moms care taken care of by that agency and person. She gets good care and you put an extra grand in your monthly income.

first, have money set aside so you can repair or replace washer and dryers if they break down...advertising or marketing budget for your new laundry business...

charge a little more for dirty diaper loads...

what is your expense per load?

what do competitors charge?

any business licenses need?

Thoughts?
Get someone in the family to become a CNA and join an agency. Then have your moms care taken care of by that agency and person. She gets good care and you put an extra grand in your monthly income.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Mom qualifies for assistance and I am eligible to be her caretaker. No idea the amount, but it would be something. Ive been giving her daily shots already, bathing her, driving her, etc. She has been eligible for about ten years, but we have managed well until now.

Thoughts?

Oh, I forgot to mention. Mom qualifies for assistance and I am eligible to be her caretaker. No idea the amount, but it would be something. Ive been giving her daily shots already, bathing her, driving her, etc. She has been eligible for about ten years, but we have managed well until now.
also, figure in healthcare costs, without your job.

go to healthcare.gov

first, have money set aside so you can repair or replace washer and dryers if they break down...advertising or marketing budget for your new laundry business...

Expense per load depends on their preference. I make my own laundry detgt by the 5 gallon bucket, so pennies per load. Vinegar as fabric softener is eco friendly and non irritant. The only competition in the city charges $1.25 per pound and they have horrible reviews. We have a large corner lot on a busy highway and we have a large blank sign up. We have a vynil cutter to make the sign ourselves. Flyers at the crappy washeterias and plants was my first thought on advertising, as I can do that in-house. MIL does dysublimation, so mugs, coasters, trinkets are easy. No laundry license needed and zoned correctly.

Thank you all for your time. I dont want to miss something obvious. I have $10K as a cushion, so 7 months before I have to make it or drop it.

Thoughts?

go to healthcare.gov

Healthcare would be cheaper since husband makes $0. Right now I have to pay full rate for him because my employer allows spouses but does not pay any portion. Coverage would not be as good and deductibles would be high.

Expense per load depends on their preference. I make my own laundry detgt by the 5 gallon bucket, so pennies per load. Vinegar as fabric softener is eco friendly and non irritant. The only competition in the city charges $1.25 per pound and they have horrible reviews. We have a large corner lot on a busy highway and we have a large blank sign up. We have a vynil cutter to make the sign ourselves. Flyers at the crappy washeterias and plants was my first thought on advertising, as I can do that in-house. MIL does dysublimation, so mugs, coasters, trinkets are easy. No laundry license needed and zoned correctly.

Thank you all for your time. I dont want to miss something obvious. I have $10K as a cushion, so 7 months before I have to make it or drop it.
if you do laundry pick up, make certain to have a separate charge with a little cushion in case gasoline prices go up....

your electric bill will go up from the washing and drying, and hot water for diapers...and from running the water pump to your well....if on city water, your city water bill will go up...those are part of the price per load costs...

your water pump if you have one, will wear out sooner, will need to replace it sooner....

great on being on a busy road!

Thoughts?

go to healthcare.gov

Healthcare would be cheaper since husband makes $0. Right now I have to pay full rate for him because my employer allows spouses but does not pay any portion. Coverage would not be as good and deductibles would be high.
This is king of cheating but DOES work. Move your mom into the main house and have her get her assistance. Relist the cottage as a rental. rent it to your mom as section 8 and move her back in.

The cottage then also becomes a tax deduction as well. Offset your care giver income tax by placing that money in the cottage.
If you have a second car list it as a service car and deduct ALL maintenece.

Thoughts?

go to healthcare.gov

set 1 year's deductible money aside, in a seperate acct....for health security....

I have the same situation, my husband works, not me, so i have to get healthcare thru his employer, and the employer pays nothing towards my portion....

Thoughts?

go to healthcare.gov

This is king of cheating but DOES work. Move your mom into the main house and have her get her assistance. Relist the cottage as a rental. rent it to your mom as section 8 and move her back in.

The cottage then also becomes a tax deduction as well. Offset your care giver income tax by placing that money in the cottage.
If you have a second car list it as a service car and deduct ALL maintenece.

Thanks for that idea. I will have to run by Dad (judge) and brother (lawyer) to be sure taking section 8 wont affect our primary rental. Its 3000 sq ft, fully updated and bringing in $2K per month.

Yeah I was gonna say, that's a lot of wear and tear on moving parts -- you might want to invest in a maintenance warranty plan, if such exists.

And whatever you do don't let me touch it -- every washer I use stops working. :death:

Is there no place close that would pay you more and treat you better for your skill set.....

I can move up there quickly I think. It is mom and pop (old) and daughter right now. I have experience with the back end of that business having once been a bookkeeper for a shell station. I can reconcile tills, reconcile fuel deliveries (they try to cheat you), reconcile lottery, payroll (including paying the govt), AR/AP, and handling the money from open of drop safe to deposit at the bank. I have an excellent letter of reference from the owner of that business and his accountant.

It will be a major downgrade for sure, but clothes budget and car expenses drop dramatically. It is literally next door.

Yeah I was gonna say, that's a lot of wear and tear on moving parts -- you might want to invest in a maintenance warranty plan, if such exists.

And whatever you do don't let me touch it -- every washer I use stops working. :death:

Pogo, you were going to be my mr fixit. Now youll have to be the orderly who changes moms diapers when we get to that point.

Is there no place close that would pay you more and treat you better for your skill set.....

I can move up there quickly I think. It is mom and pop (old) and daughter right now. I have experience with the back end of that business having once been a bookkeeper for a shell station. I can reconcile tills, reconcile fuel deliveries (they try to cheat you), reconcile lottery, payroll (including paying the govt), AR/AP, and handling the money from open of drop safe to deposit at the bank. I have an excellent letter of reference from the owner of that business and his accountant.

It will be a major downgrade for sure, but clothes budget and car expenses drop dramatically. It is literally next door.

Well I wish you the best. Taking care of old folks is a job in itself.

Forum List

Back