Maine Senate passes bill giving state's electoral votes to national popular vote winner

Then maybe it was a good idea?

The door swings both ways, dope.
The only way you're against it is if you believe the Repubs will never get the popular vote.

He will and it'll still be a bad idea and unConstitutional IF it makes it that far.

IMO, any legislator that voted for something like that should be impeached and fined.
What legislator(s)?

State legislators that knowingly and willingly failed to uphold the Constitution for the sake of partisan politics. I'm certain it could easily proven by coordinated emails. They all got together to do this across many states. That's a no-no. :eusa_naughty:

Point to the applicable section of the constitution that forbids this action.

Do your own research on this.. You're way behind understanding the MULTIPLE Constitutional issues here.. Which not only include extra-legal circumvention of the COnstitutionally mandated EC college, but also violations of "state to state compact laws" without approval of Congress and likely infringement of several voting rights acts...

But it's really nasty betrayal to the VOTERS of their state that THEIR VOTES don't matter....
But the first betrayal came when the States changed how electors should vote in their states, the ''WINNER takes all Electors'', instead of Electors voting how their population within their State voted, for president.

WINNER TAKES ALL electors of the State, is the problem, and the states changed it to that a decade or two after we became a Nation. Madison was pissed they did that...

Winner takes all, betrays all.

The States proportion their votes based on how their state votes.

"Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct,"

Doesn't give the Federal government any power whatsoever in determining how a State appoints it's electors does it?

Within their state. Once they disenfranchise a single voter, it becomes a Federal problem.

Gerrymandering districts disenfranchises voter. SC said that's not a problem.

Sounds to me like a perverted form of voter suppression....no matter how the state votes its legislature gives its electoral votes to the person who at the end of voting wins the popular vote throughout the entire country....also sounds like a strong SCOTUS issue!

Maine's lawmakers passed a bill that would give the state's electoral votes to the presidential candidate who won the national popular vote, taking a step toward becoming the 15th state to enact such a law. The Maine Senate voted 19-16 Tuesday to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, which would give all committed states' electoral votes to the winning popular vote candidate should the group accrue the 270 votes necessary for a majority.

California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington state and the District of Columbia have all committed to the pact. The most recent addition, New Mexico, put the total at 189 electoral votes....I believe those listed states are all DeathRAT controlled states!

(Excerpt) Read more at cnn.com ...

Tissue?

States entering into a compact with one another is unConstitutional, and clearly this is an organized compact.

"No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay."

Article I, Section 10, Clause 3

Uh-Oh! :tomato: National Popular Vote Interstate Compact - Wikipedia

Constitution of the United States - We the People

States make agreements and compacts all the time without having to ask for the consent of Congress. The courts thus far have ruled the only compacts that infringe on Federal Power need to have the consent of Congress. Which btw, they are planning to ask anyway once they reach the magic number.

Choosing State electors in not a Constitutional Federal Power. The Constitution gives that power exclusively to the state legislators.

Sounds to me like a perverted form of voter suppression....no matter how the state votes its legislature gives its electoral votes to the person who at the end of voting wins the popular vote throughout the entire country....also sounds like a strong SCOTUS issue!

Maine's lawmakers passed a bill that would give the state's electoral votes to the presidential candidate who won the national popular vote, taking a step toward becoming the 15th state to enact such a law. The Maine Senate voted 19-16 Tuesday to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, which would give all committed states' electoral votes to the winning popular vote candidate should the group accrue the 270 votes necessary for a majority.

California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington state and the District of Columbia have all committed to the pact. The most recent addition, New Mexico, put the total at 189 electoral votes....I believe those listed states are all DeathRAT controlled states!

Tissue?

States entering into a compact with one another is unConstitutional, and clearly this is an organized compact.

"No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay."

States make agreements and compacts all the time without having to ask for the consent of Congress. The courts thus far have ruled the only compacts that infringe on Federal Power need to have the consent of Congress. Which btw, they are planning to ask anyway once they reach the magic number.

Choosing State electors in not a Constitutional Federal Power. The Constitution gives that power exclusively to the state legislators.

This one infringes on Federal power and the Constitution, numbnuts.

Tissue?

This one infringes on Federal power and the Constitution, numbnuts.

Since the Feds don't have the Constitutional power to choose a states electors, what federal power do you think it would infringe on?

Last edited:

"Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct,"

Doesn't give the Federal government any power whatsoever in determining how a State appoints it's electors does it?

Within their state. Once they disenfranchise a single voter, it becomes a Federal problem.

Exactly. The SC said. They're going to rule on this as well.

Sounds to me like a perverted form of voter suppression

Only an idiot would claim that the law endorsing the person who gets the most votes is voter suppression.

also sounds like a strong SCOTUS issue!

Because you don't like it? The constitution is perfectly clear. Each state chooses the method for appointing electors. Period. Get over it, snowflake.

Bad move... What if TRUMP WINS the popular vote? You gonna congratulate these mental midgets for their brilliant plan when NY, Cal, DC, and MAINE turn red on election night? It's naked power grabbing..

And I don't like it. But that doesn't matter.. What matters is that states cannot PRESCRIBE voting rules like that to their electors in the Electoral College. That's why you always get a few renegade electors that DO NOT FOLLOW the vote and end up voting for people either NOT on the ballot or who were never NOMINATED to run i in the general election..

You should spend more time understanding how things work and less time wasted defending ideas that are clearly partisan power grabbing... Stupid ideas that could backfire horribly on the conspirator babies....
What if TRUMP WINS the popular vote?

Then maybe it was a good idea?

The door swings both ways, dope.
The only way you're against it is if you believe the Repubs will never get the popular vote.

He will and it'll still be a bad idea and unConstitutional IF it makes it that far.

IMO, any legislator that voted for something like that should be impeached and fined.

Under what law?

Will end up in court. Definitely a Constitutional issue.
No it isn't. States rights.

No.... The state has the right to present the electoral votes anyway they like. The feds are under no obligation to accept them in an improper form.

It will be overturned... And quickly too I imagine.

Jo
Wait, are you saying the fee will refuse to accept the electoral votes from a state if they don't like the way they are arrived at?

I don't think that's true.

It's absolutely true...
Federal government will not accept electoral votes from a state that do not represent the majority of its voters. At that point the FEC will take over and assign the electoral votes in accord with the proper arrangement.

Jo

The FEC has no control over that. It is the responsibility of the House of Representatives and Senate.

When did they state that. considering it is not in effect? SCOTUS does not rule on laws unless a case has been through the courts, and this one has not been, because it hasn't happened yet.

Non-Compact states should just fucking lie.

Certify their popular vote at 8 billion each.

What are the other states gonna do about it? Cry?

News report:

"In Nebraska, Donald Trump won by a margin if 80 million votes, as certified by the State of Nebraska."

:laughing0301:

By any means necessary.

Only an idiot would claim that the law endorsing the person who gets the most votes is voter suppression.

Because you don't like it? The constitution is perfectly clear. Each state chooses the method for appointing electors. Period. Get over it, snowflake.

Bad move... What if TRUMP WINS the popular vote? You gonna congratulate these mental midgets for their brilliant plan when NY, Cal, DC, and MAINE turn red on election night? It's naked power grabbing..

And I don't like it. But that doesn't matter.. What matters is that states cannot PRESCRIBE voting rules like that to their electors in the Electoral College. That's why you always get a few renegade electors that DO NOT FOLLOW the vote and end up voting for people either NOT on the ballot or who were never NOMINATED to run i in the general election..

You should spend more time understanding how things work and less time wasted defending ideas that are clearly partisan power grabbing... Stupid ideas that could backfire horribly on the conspirator babies....

Whether it's a bad idea is another question. I'm not a fan. Regardless, it's foolish to call it voter suppression or unconstitutional.

It is unconstitutional. Who tabulates the national popular vote for the presidential election? Answer: No one.

Whether it's a bad idea is another question. I'm not a fan. Regardless, it's foolish to call it voter suppression or unconstitutional.

It is unconstitutional. Who tabulates the national popular vote for the presidential election? Answer: No one.
Every non-compact state should just lie about it.

What are the compact states gonna do? They have no recourse?

QUOTE="hadit, post: 22697475, member: 44342"]

Exactly. The SC said. They're going to rule on this as well.[/QUOTE]

:link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link:

News Report:

"The Secretary of State for the State of Mississippi reports today a certification for the popular vote of Joe Biden - 432,332, and Donald Trump ....eleventy billion?"

LOL. They might rule on the Consent of Congress part.

Non-Compact states should just fucking lie.

Certify their popular vote at 8 billion each.

What are the other states gonna do about it? Cry?

News report:

"In Nebraska, Donald Trump won by a margin if 80 million votes, as certified by the State of Nebraska."

:laughing0301:

By any means necessary.

Legal action would come from within the state to deal with such fraud.

Every non-compact state should just lie about it.

What are the compact states gonna do? They have no recourse?

That is called electoral fraud, dope.

Forum List

Back