Maine Becomes First State To Try Ranked-Choice Voting for President

Voting for Libertarian, Green, or independent candidates will not mean “throwing your vote away.”

On Monday, the state's Supreme Judicial Court upheld the use of ranked-choice voting for its presidential and congressional races, resisting efforts by the state's Republican Party to force a stop to its use.

In ranked-choice voting, citizens aren't asked to just choose a single candidate. They are permitted to rank the candidates from most to least favorite. In order to win a ranked-choice vote, a candidate is required to earn a majority of the votes (more than 50 percent), not just a plurality. In the event no candidate gets a majority of the votes, the candidate with the fewest votes is tossed out of the running. Then the votes are tallied again, but for voters whose favorite was just tossed out, their second choice now counts as their vote. This continues until one candidate has earned at least 50 percent of the votes.

This is some all-too-rare good news on the political front. Hopefully other states will follow.

Then you can say Biden wasn't your first choice, he was your second, LOL

Voting for Libertarian, Green, or independent candidates will not mean “throwing your vote away.”

On Monday, the state's Supreme Judicial Court upheld the use of ranked-choice voting for its presidential and congressional races, resisting efforts by the state's Republican Party to force a stop to its use.

In ranked-choice voting, citizens aren't asked to just choose a single candidate. They are permitted to rank the candidates from most to least favorite. In order to win a ranked-choice vote, a candidate is required to earn a majority of the votes (more than 50 percent), not just a plurality. In the event no candidate gets a majority of the votes, the candidate with the fewest votes is tossed out of the running. Then the votes are tallied again, but for voters whose favorite was just tossed out, their second choice now counts as their vote. This continues until one candidate has earned at least 50 percent of the votes.

This is some all-too-rare good news on the political front. Hopefully other states will follow.

Exactly. I'd rank him second to last, right ahead of Trump.

Th
Its spreading.

Good
I really think it will help. Just hope it's not too little, too late.
Even if it does no good, the fact that people are voting for it provides a glimmer of hope that not everyone is happy with the two party control we have now.
I got interested in ranked choice voting for that reason, but I've come to view it differently. It mostly likely would still result in two dominant parties - that's what happened in Australia at least. But it would give an honest reflection of actual voter preference (we could actually see how many voters preferred third party campaigns), which we don't get now because so many people vote "lesser-of-two-evils".

The biggest virtue of ranked choice voting, in my view, is that it gives candidates a strong incentive to work for broad consensus. Candidates who alienate large chunks of voters will get a lot of last place votes - and are more likely to lose, whereas candidates that have broader appeal will benefit from lots of second place votes. It will buffer this radicalized divide we're seeing now and promote government that represents everyone, rather than a slim partisan majority.
Bingo.

It will do very little to wrest the control from the major parties BUT I think it will do a lot to illustrate where people are, what they are supporting and force the major parties to actually stand for something rather than simply standing against the other major party.
The reason we have it in Maine is that we are 40% Independents, and we do have strong Independents run, and win, elections. Three "parties" is fairly typical. The winner, if it is a plurality, could have only 40% of the vote, meaning 60% of the state didn't vote for the winner. That's not acceptable to us.
Our system works just fine, has for 240 years. Now progs and fools want to change it because they don't always get their way. Sad.
I think the way the two parties are going right now, a third choice may sound better and better to people. You are probably going to have to get used to the idea at some point, because the way we've always done it only works well for two parties.

Bam! So you admit what a liar you are. You kept melting down that I kept pointing out you said Biden is better than Trump. Now you admit you lied about denying that. It's the problem with being a liar, you can't keep your lies straight

Bam! So you admit what a liar you are. You kept melting down that I kept pointing out you said Biden is better than Trump. Now you admit you lied about denying that. It's the problem with being a liar, you can't keep your lies straight

You're still trolling me? I rejected your false claim that I was voting for Biden. That's all. Grow up.

What do you think of ranked choice voting?

You're still trolling me? I rejected your false claim that I was voting for Biden. That's all. Grow up.

What do you think of ranked choice voting?

Dude, you kept losing your shit because I kept saying you thought totalitarian leftist Democrats were better than Trump.

You just admitted you are a L-I-A-R and I was right about what I said all along.

dblack, the leftist non-libertarian: "Exactly. I'd rank him second to last, right ahead of Trump."

Exactly what I said, dump in your pants, boy

Th
Its spreading.

Good
I really think it will help. Just hope it's not too little, too late.
Even if it does no good, the fact that people are voting for it provides a glimmer of hope that not everyone is happy with the two party control we have now.
I got interested in ranked choice voting for that reason, but I've come to view it differently. It mostly likely would still result in two dominant parties - that's what happened in Australia at least. But it would give an honest reflection of actual voter preference (we could actually see how many voters preferred third party campaigns), which we don't get now because so many people vote "lesser-of-two-evils".

The biggest virtue of ranked choice voting, in my view, is that it gives candidates a strong incentive to work for broad consensus. Candidates who alienate large chunks of voters will get a lot of last place votes - and are more likely to lose, whereas candidates that have broader appeal will benefit from lots of second place votes. It will buffer this radicalized divide we're seeing now and promote government that represents everyone, rather than a slim partisan majority.
Bingo.

It will do very little to wrest the control from the major parties BUT I think it will do a lot to illustrate where people are, what they are supporting and force the major parties to actually stand for something rather than simply standing against the other major party.
The reason we have it in Maine is that we are 40% Independents, and we do have strong Independents run, and win, elections. Three "parties" is fairly typical. The winner, if it is a plurality, could have only 40% of the vote, meaning 60% of the state didn't vote for the winner. That's not acceptable to us.
Our system works just fine, has for 240 years. Now progs and fools want to change it because they don't always get their way. Sad.
I think the way the two parties are going right now, a third choice may sound better and better to people. You are probably going to have to get used to the idea at some point, because the way we've always done it only works well for two parties.
If a third choice really sounds good, it wouldn't be third choice. You think this will help third party candidates as the more well known and popular candidates gets eliminated. It's not going to happen.

I support it.

If I have learned anything from this thread, it's that the people who have the biggest problem with this idea are the least informed about how it works.

This idea will allow voters to pick a candidate that they actually like rather than voting against someone they dislike.

The big lie with ranked choice
The big lie with ranked choice

In the 2018 2nd Congressional District election, the declared winner did not get a majority of the votes cast. In that election, 289,332 Mainers voted, so a majority would have been 144,667 votes. The declared winner actually received only 142,440 votes, thus not a majority of the total votes cast.

This result is possible because, under RCV if any voters entitled to second vote choose not to support a different candidate and so do not vote again, they are disenfranchised and their participation in the election is not reflected in the final vote total. In 2018, 7,961 voters chose not to support a second candidate. In my opinion creating a fake majority winner by not including all voters in the final outcome could be considered a version of voter fraud.

What the election rigging fuck??
No rigging.
It's a standard voting method around The World.

Please don't be an ass. You KNOW this has not been used in the USA.
This is a new Democrat initiative to put themselves in position to steal the election.
Of course, anything that helps them win will be just fine with you....no matter what.
This isn't what will help them steal the electors in Maine. State polls on the 25th in Maine had Biden up anywhere from 8 to 18 points.
Not sure would choose Ranked-Choice for my state, but it is a Maine thing and apparently legal, so more power to them.
We've had it on statewide elections before this election, which was fine, I liked it!

But on presidential...I dunno....it was kind of awkward....there were 5 candidates, I picked Biden, then the other 3 candidates, then Trump in 5th, but I think I probably should have left the 5th spot blank? It was like, I felt compelled to put any other candidate, before Trump, even without knowing much about a couple of them....but still deep inside truly believed anyone, would be better than Trump....

But on the State elections, I really did, have a second choice of want.... it was less complicated and less strategic.

And yet, you can't name a single thing good Biden has done or will do after 47 years in DC.

Why can't you be honest and just admit you voted for purely emotional reasons? Well, you did somewhat....

It was like, I felt compelled to put any other candidate, before Trump, even without knowing much about a couple of them....but still deep inside truly believed anyone, would be better than Trump....

Like most on the left, you voted on an emotional ticket dictated by the Left media....which is all owned by a very exclusive club of Ultra Wealthy Elites who quite frankly don't give a damn about you or your family.

You unwittingly dropped to your knees to worship and obey those who will never invite you into their exclusive club.
Trump was an outsider. He didn't need their money and so he wasn't beholden to heel and beg for their handouts like democrats you cherish.
By no means the ideal President, but at least with Americas best interests. Biden will put China first. His family has a China track record.
Maybe you love Communism.

At the end of all this is a bittersweet reality.....that you and yours will suffer just as badly as those you hate....or worse.
We need only look to recent, modern examples of how badly leftists are suffering after they did the exact same stupidity in places like Venezuela.
I've suffered, greatly, for four years under Trump.... worried to death about our Nation, supposedly made of laws, not men, while this lawless god of yours, tried to destroy our Nation, and more than half the citizens within it, on a daily basis..... He lied more than people blink, every day he was there.... and still is lying.

He can't be gone, soon enough....

Of course it is possible to vote for the same person five times.

That's not true. Are you an idiot, or just a liar?
Are you not looking at the sample ballot? Can you not see that first, second, third, fourth and fifth and sixth choices can all be the same person?
Is it presumptuous of me to assume you are a Trump supporter? This kind idiocy is the usual mode - it's how they argue. Make a boneheaded claim and just keep repeating it - hoping that other morons believe it.

If a voter was stupid enough to select the same candidate for 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc ... one of two things would happen, depending on the specific implementation of RCV. Either their ballot would be deemed invalid and discarded, or their vote would simply be counted, once, for their first place choice.

As I said, it's hard to say whether you're an idiot or a troll. But your opposition to RCV isn't serious or rational.
If the ballot is counted more than once the person is getting more than one vote.

No rigging.
It's a standard voting method around The World.

Please don't be an ass. You KNOW this has not been used in the USA.
This is a new Democrat initiative to put themselves in position to steal the election.
Of course, anything that helps them win will be just fine with you....no matter what.
This isn't what will help them steal the electors in Maine. State polls on the 25th in Maine had Biden up anywhere from 8 to 18 points.
Not sure would choose Ranked-Choice for my state, but it is a Maine thing and apparently legal, so more power to them.
We've had it on statewide elections before this election, which was fine, I liked it!

But on presidential...I dunno....it was kind of awkward....there were 5 candidates, I picked Biden, then the other 3 candidates, then Trump in 5th, but I think I probably should have left the 5th spot blank? It was like, I felt compelled to put any other candidate, before Trump, even without knowing much about a couple of them....but still deep inside truly believed anyone, would be better than Trump....

But on the State elections, I really did, have a second choice of want.... it was less complicated and less strategic.

And yet, you can't name a single thing good Biden has done or will do after 47 years in DC.

Why can't you be honest and just admit you voted for purely emotional reasons? Well, you did somewhat....

It was like, I felt compelled to put any other candidate, before Trump, even without knowing much about a couple of them....but still deep inside truly believed anyone, would be better than Trump....

Like most on the left, you voted on an emotional ticket dictated by the Left media....which is all owned by a very exclusive club of Ultra Wealthy Elites who quite frankly don't give a damn about you or your family.

You unwittingly dropped to your knees to worship and obey those who will never invite you into their exclusive club.
Trump was an outsider. He didn't need their money and so he wasn't beholden to heel and beg for their handouts like democrats you cherish.
By no means the ideal President, but at least with Americas best interests. Biden will put China first. His family has a China track record.
Maybe you love Communism.

At the end of all this is a bittersweet reality.....that you and yours will suffer just as badly as those you hate....or worse.
We need only look to recent, modern examples of how badly leftists are suffering after they did the exact same stupidity in places like Venezuela.
I've suffered, greatly, for four years under Trump.... worried to death about our Nation, supposedly made of laws, not men, while this lawless god of yours, tried to destroy our Nation, and more than half the citizens within it, on a daily basis..... He lied more than people blink, every day he was there.... and still is lying.

He can't be gone, soon enough....

What did Trump "destroy" ?
Define "Destroy" from your perspective?

Oh, he destroyed the parasite European nations leeching off American taxpayers? Orange Man Bad!
Oh wait...he managed to actually GROW the economy in spite of the Communist Virus ? Orange Man BAD !!!

Can you name even ONE thing he destroyed? Been asking this simple question for weeks...not ONE Leftists has a clue
And IIRC, the massive lying came from the left...Russia! Russia! Russia!

You're delusional on an epic scale

Last edited:

Ranked Choice Voting in Alaska is obviously intended by UAF Home | University of Alaska Fairbanks intellectuals to combat the "polarization" of so-called "far-right politics" in favor of a woman's universal choice for abortion, especially for undergraduate female college students who cater to the enlisted men of nearby military bases, including https://www.eielson.af.mil/ and Fort Wainwright :: United States Army in Alaska with the favor and support of certain men of military rank.

Ranked Choice Voting is also supposed to have a positive impact on reducing air pollution, greenhouse gas emissions, and climate change. The stakes could not be higher at the ballot box.
Dunleavy is pushing for legal gambling, while non-profits are pursuing legal gambling as charity for people who love to gamble.

Ranked Choice Voting in Alaska is obviously intended by UAF Home | University of Alaska Fairbanks intellectuals to combat the "polarization" of so-called "far-right politics" in favor of a woman's universal choice for abortion, especially for undergraduate female college students who cater to the enlisted men of nearby military bases, including Eielson Home and Fort Wainwright :: United States Army in Alaska with the favor and support of certain men of military rank.

Ranked Choice Voting is also supposed to have a positive impact on reducing air pollution, greenhouse gas emissions, and climate change. The stakes could not be higher at the ballot box.
Dunleavy is pushing for legal gambling, while non-profits are pursuing legal gambling as charity for people who love to gamble.

STFU

I like that. I wish we had it in my state.

Forum List

Back