Maine Becomes First State To Try Ranked-Choice Voting for President

Of course it is possible to vote for the same person five times.

That's not true. Are you an idiot, or just a liar?
Are you not looking at the sample ballot? Can you not see that first, second, third, fourth and fifth and sixth choices can all be the same person?
Is it presumptuous of me to assume you are a Trump supporter? This kind idiocy is the usual mode - it's how they argue. Make a boneheaded claim and just keep repeating it - hoping that other morons believe it.

If a voter was stupid enough to select the same candidate for 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc ... one of two things would happen, depending on the specific implementation of RCV. Either their ballot would be deemed invalid and discarded, or their vote would simply be counted, once, for their first place choice.

As I said, it's hard to say whether you're an idiot or a troll. But your opposition to RCV isn't serious or rational.
No. Each choice would count until the chosen candidate was eliminated. If the chosen candidate received the fewest votes in the first round and was eliminated none of the other votes would count.

Ranked choice voting looks designed to elect the most objectionable and least qualified. Votes aren't counted so much as herded.

Are you not looking at the sample ballot? Can you not see that first, second, third, fourth and fifth and sixth choices can all be the same person?
Is it presumptuous of me to assume you are a Trump supporter? This kind idiocy is the usual mode - it's how they argue. Make a boneheaded claim and just keep repeating it - hoping that other morons believe it.

If a voter was stupid enough to select the same candidate for 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc ... one of two things would happen, depending on the specific implementation of RCV. Either their ballot would be deemed invalid and discarded, or their vote would simply be counted, once, for their first place choice.

As I said, it's hard to say whether you're an idiot or a troll. But your opposition to RCV isn't serious or rational.
No. Each choice would count until the chosen candidate was eliminated. If the chosen candidate received the fewest votes in the first round and was eliminated none of the other votes would count.

Ranked choice voting looks designed to elect the most objectionable and least qualified. Votes aren't counted so much as herded.
You're plainly, factually wrong. I know that doesn't hold much water with a Trumpster, but I have faith that most people are not so stupid.

The inability to understand something so simple is a perfect reflection of why our political system is so fucked in the first place.

Ranked choice voting is a far superiors system to what we have now. It would be amazing to see it spread to every state.
More like the pathetic notion of 'everyone's a winner'. No matter how many losers you pick you eventually win! This is a system designed to give extraordinary power to people too stupid to make informed decisions with one vote.
Missed-Target_370pxx300px.jpg

That you fail to understand is not my problem.

Its spreading.

Good
I really think it will help. Just hope it's not too little, too late.
Even if it does no good, the fact that people are voting for it provides a glimmer of hope that not everyone is happy with the two party control we have now.
I got interested in ranked choice voting for that reason, but I've come to view it differently. It mostly likely would still result in two dominant parties - that's what happened in Australia at least. But it would give an honest reflection of actual voter preference (we could actually see how many voters preferred third party campaigns), which we don't get now because so many people vote "lesser-of-two-evils".

The biggest virtue of ranked choice voting, in my view, is that it gives candidates a strong incentive to work for broad consensus. Candidates who alienate large chunks of voters will get a lot of last place votes - and are more likely to lose, whereas candidates that have broader appeal will benefit from lots of second place votes. It will buffer this radicalized divide we're seeing now and promote government that represents everyone, rather than a slim partisan majority.
Bingo.

It will do very little to wrest the control from the major parties BUT I think it will do a lot to illustrate where people are, what they are supporting and force the major parties to actually stand for something rather than simply standing against the other major party.

Its spreading.

Good
Meh, life in the US is pretty damn good and our political system is quite stable. The nature of media in the modern world has managed to paint this hair on fire end of the world picture and many people buy into this garbage but overall it is nothing but a mirage to sell ad space.

We are not near the precipice atm.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

You're plainly, factually wrong. I know that doesn't hold much water with a Trumpster, but I have faith that most people are not so stupid.
I read about it. You just don't like the way it really works.

No, I am quite sure he and others (such as myself) like how it actually works quite well.

We also understand that you have no idea what you are talking about when you make asinine claims like it allows you more than one vote.

No, I am quite sure he and others (such as myself) like how it actually works quite well.

We also understand that you have no idea what you are talking about when you make asinine claims like it allows you more than one vote.
If all you get is one vote there is no ranked choice voting. The sample ballot shows that well. This has been used in corporate law for years. Ranked choice voting is a derivative of corporate cumulative voting.

Voting for Libertarian, Green, or independent candidates will not mean “throwing your vote away.”

On Monday, the state's Supreme Judicial Court upheld the use of ranked-choice voting for its presidential and congressional races, resisting efforts by the state's Republican Party to force a stop to its use.

In ranked-choice voting, citizens aren't asked to just choose a single candidate. They are permitted to rank the candidates from most to least favorite. In order to win a ranked-choice vote, a candidate is required to earn a majority of the votes (more than 50 percent), not just a plurality. In the event no candidate gets a majority of the votes, the candidate with the fewest votes is tossed out of the running. Then the votes are tallied again, but for voters whose favorite was just tossed out, their second choice now counts as their vote. This continues until one candidate has earned at least 50 percent of the votes.

Is "NONE OF THE ABOVE" a choice? To rank candidates properly, it has to be more than the number of votes, each ranking (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.) must itself each carry its own weighting.

In other words, 50 1st place rankings is better than 200 3rd place rankings.

Voting for Libertarian, Green, or independent candidates will not mean “throwing your vote away.”

On Monday, the state's Supreme Judicial Court upheld the use of ranked-choice voting for its presidential and congressional races, resisting efforts by the state's Republican Party to force a stop to its use.

In ranked-choice voting, citizens aren't asked to just choose a single candidate. They are permitted to rank the candidates from most to least favorite. In order to win a ranked-choice vote, a candidate is required to earn a majority of the votes (more than 50 percent), not just a plurality. In the event no candidate gets a majority of the votes, the candidate with the fewest votes is tossed out of the running. Then the votes are tallied again, but for voters whose favorite was just tossed out, their second choice now counts as their vote. This continues until one candidate has earned at least 50 percent of the votes.

Is "NONE OF THE ABOVE" a choice? To rank candidates properly, it has to be more than the number of votes, each ranking (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.) must itself each carry its own weighting.

That is not how it works, ranks are not weighted nor should they be.

It is essentially allowing you to actually cast a ballot for a third party without such a vote throwing the election. No more piss poor excuses that my candidate would have won if X candidate did not jump in the race and split the vote.

What the election rigging fuck??
No rigging.
It's a standard voting method around The World.

Please don't be an ass. You KNOW this has not been used in the USA.
This is a new Democrat initiative to put themselves in position to steal the election.
Of course, anything that helps them win will be just fine with you....no matter what.
This isn't what will help them steal the electors in Maine. State polls on the 25th in Maine had Biden up anywhere from 8 to 18 points.
Not sure would choose Ranked-Choice for my state, but it is a Maine thing and apparently legal, so more power to them.
We've had it on statewide elections before this election, which was fine, I liked it!

But on presidential...I dunno....it was kind of awkward....there were 5 candidates, I picked Biden, then the other 3 candidates, then Trump in 5th, but I think I probably should have left the 5th spot blank? It was like, I felt compelled to put any other candidate, before Trump, even without knowing much about a couple of them....but still deep inside truly believed anyone, would be better than Trump....

But on the State elections, I really did, have a second choice of want.... it was less complicated and less strategic.

What the election rigging fuck??
No rigging.
It's a standard voting method around The World.

Please don't be an ass. You KNOW this has not been used in the USA.
This is a new Democrat initiative to put themselves in position to steal the election.
Of course, anything that helps them win will be just fine with you....no matter what.
This isn't what will help them steal the electors in Maine. State polls on the 25th in Maine had Biden up anywhere from 8 to 18 points.
Not sure would choose Ranked-Choice for my state, but it is a Maine thing and apparently legal, so more power to them.
We've had it on statewide elections before this election, which was fine, I liked it!

But on presidential...I dunno....it was kind of awkward....there were 5 candidates, I picked Biden, then the other 3 candidates, then Trump in 5th, but I think I probably should have left the 5th spot blank? It was like, I felt compelled to put any other candidate, before Trump, even without knowing much about a couple of them....but still deep inside truly believed anyone, would be better than Trump....

But on the State elections, I really did, have a second choice of want.... it was less complicated and less strategic.

And yet, you can't name a single thing good Biden has done or will do after 47 years in DC.

Why can't you be honest and just admit you voted for purely emotional reasons? Well, you did somewhat....

It was like, I felt compelled to put any other candidate, before Trump, even without knowing much about a couple of them....but still deep inside truly believed anyone, would be better than Trump....

Like most on the left, you voted on an emotional ticket dictated by the Left media....which is all owned by a very exclusive club of Ultra Wealthy Elites who quite frankly don't give a damn about you or your family.

You unwittingly dropped to your knees to worship and obey those who will never invite you into their exclusive club.
Trump was an outsider. He didn't need their money and so he wasn't beholden to heel and beg for their handouts like democrats you cherish.
By no means the ideal President, but at least with Americas best interests. Biden will put China first. His family has a China track record.
Maybe you love Communism.

At the end of all this is a bittersweet reality.....that you and yours will suffer just as badly as those you hate....or worse.
We need only look to recent, modern examples of how badly leftists are suffering after they did the exact same stupidity in places like Venezuela.

It is essentially allowing you to actually cast a ballot for a third party without such a vote throwing the election. No more piss poor excuses that my candidate would have won if X candidate did not jump in the race and split the vote.

Then there is no point to "ranking" someone. If my 1st choice means no more than my 5th choice, then the entire idea is flawed. Might as well just say give me five choices, no ranking.

I don't get the partisan vibe to all the objections. This isn't a partisan issue, at all.

Then there is no point to "ranking" someone. If my 1st choice means no more than my 5th choice, then the entire idea is flawed. Might as well just say give me five choices, no ranking.

As has been explained, that's not how it works. It's your understanding that's flawed.

Th
Its spreading.

Good
Even if it does no good, the fact that people are voting for it provides a glimmer of hope that not everyone is happy with the two party control we have now.
I got interested in ranked choice voting for that reason, but I've come to view it differently. It mostly likely would still result in two dominant parties - that's what happened in Australia at least. But it would give an honest reflection of actual voter preference (we could actually see how many voters preferred third party campaigns), which we don't get now because so many people vote "lesser-of-two-evils".

The biggest virtue of ranked choice voting, in my view, is that it gives candidates a strong incentive to work for broad consensus. Candidates who alienate large chunks of voters will get a lot of last place votes - and are more likely to lose, whereas candidates that have broader appeal will benefit from lots of second place votes. It will buffer this radicalized divide we're seeing now and promote government that represents everyone, rather than a slim partisan majority.
Bingo.

It will do very little to wrest the control from the major parties BUT I think it will do a lot to illustrate where people are, what they are supporting and force the major parties to actually stand for something rather than simply standing against the other major party.
The reason we have it in Maine is that we are 40% Independents, and we do have strong Independents run, and win, elections. Three "parties" is fairly typical. The winner, if it is a plurality, could have only 40% of the vote, meaning 60% of the state didn't vote for the winner. That's not acceptable to us.

Th
Its spreading.

Good

Bingo.

The reason we have it in Maine is that we are 40% Independents, and we do have strong Independents run, and win, elections. Three "parties" is fairly typical. The winner, if it is a plurality, could have only 40% of the vote, meaning 60% of the state didn't vote for the winner. That's not acceptable to us.
Our system works just fine, has for 240 years. Now progs and fools want to change it because they don't always get their way. Sad.

Th
Its spreading.

Good

Bingo.

Our system works just fine, has for 240 years. Now progs and fools want to change it because they don't always get their way. Sad.
That's simply not true. It's a shame you can't see outside your partisan bubble.

Th
Its spreading.

Good

Bingo.

That's simply not true. It's a shame you can't see outside your partisan bubble.
It is true, too bad you just can't accept responsibility for your vote and require a do over when you choose a crap candidate.

Forum List

Back