Magazines for news, current events and politics

Sober

Rookie
Sep 22, 2016
Illinois
Hey I am starting to take more of an interest in current events, politics and government and wanted some suggestions for a magazine subscription. I would say I'm probably moderate to left. If the economist wasn't so expensive I'd probably go with that. I've considered the new republic and the nation. Also Time magazine but I've heard it's not the best. I would like to find a weekly publication as opposed to monthly. Also probably prefer good factual news articles instead of long winded opinion articles. There is another magazine called the Week. I'll probably go with one weekly mag along with a daily newspaper. I should probably mention I'm a blue collar union worker in a chemical plant and have not done much reading on these subjects in the past..thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.

Last edited:
i couldnt help you there but i see you are a Cubs fan.cool.:thup: They are my second favorite team and fave in the NL league.:thup:

I live in KC so my fave is naturally the Royals. I was so much hoping for a Cubs/Royals match up last year so it would be assured one of them would win it all but that did not work out.:(

Next best thing would be to have my Cubs win it one year later after the Royals did,that would be so awesome if it did.i would be doing this if that worked out.:dance:

anyways,if you dont mind,please put in your vote here and post your thoughts.thanks.

Will this be the year the Cubbies win the world series?

oh and check your pm,got a question for ya.

A long time ago I had to subscribe to the Christian Science Monitor for a politics class in college. It was a state college, so the name of the paper puzzled me. But it was a serious political newspaper with an international scope.
The CSM has since discontinued its daily paper to focus on the webpage and a weekly print edition. The weekly might be worth looking at

Hey I am starting to take more of an interest in current events, politics and government and wanted some suggestions for a magazine subscription ........ .thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.
Any media source is bound to be biased so it's a waste of time using them to understand anything at all, so actually spending money on a magazine/newspaper subscription is a voluntary death sentence. If you are intelligent – are you? - then the best thing to do is keep tabs on both ends. Maybe FoxNews, RT, and Al Jazeera. All three run the news on-line. The so-called free thinking outlets are complete lunacy. I am speaking of The Young Turks, Alex Jones, etc. etc. etc.

Now, if it is your intention to stick with main-stream American news outlets (Time, Newsweek, et al.) then you are destined to become a vegetable and I have already wasted too much time with you.

Good luck!

Forum List

Back