Lyft app told me $21 for a trip. Actual charge was $50. Is this normal and routine for Uber and Lyft ?

BasicHumanUnit

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2013
Everywhere needed
I recently got a Lyft account and this was my first ride ever.
I went on the app and signed into my account then entered the origin and destination not once, but three times in the days leading up to my trip.

When I arrived at the place where I wanted to be picked up.....Lyft was picking up other people but my driver cancelled my ride and I was unable to rebook at the original price and instead $50 was the lowest available fare on the app now. I had no choice but to accept the new, more than doubled rate.

They do state that fares can vary...but this wasn't a simple variance, this was more than double the original quote.

So is this the way Lyft and Uber always work?

I also have been reading a story on USA Today where there is a Lyft scam where drivers drop you off then claim you damaged their car either with vomit, drinks or some other claim which is entirely false and Lyft adds a considerable "cleanup / repair" fee onto your bill on top of the fare.

Anyone heard of this?

I recently got a Lyft account and this was my first ride ever.
I went on the app and signed into my account then entered the origin and destination not once, but three times in the days leading up to my trip.

When I arrived at the place where I wanted to be picked up.....Lyft was picking up other people but my driver cancelled my ride and I was unable to rebook at the original price and instead $50 was the lowest available fare on the app now. I had no choice but to accept the new, more than doubled rate.

They do state that fares can vary...but this wasn't a simple variance, this was more than double the original quote.

So is this the way Lyft and Uber always work?

I also have been reading a story on USA Today where there is a Lyft scam where drivers drop you off then claim you damaged their car either with vomit, drinks or some other claim which is entirely false and Lyft adds a considerable "cleanup / repair" fee onto your bill on top of the fare.

Anyone heard of this?
Sure, the rates change by the minute. In your case, you had to rebook your ride and your at the mercy of the market. A group of us were trying to book a ride back from a concert a couple months ago and the rates were all over the place between like 90 to 150.

Forum List

Back