Luxembourg just announced plans to send an asteroid mining rig into orbit

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Luxembourg just announced plans to send an asteroid mining rig into orbit
Prospector-X may sound like a money-hungry comic-book villain, but it’s actually a spacecraft that might one day mine asteroids. The craft (which is still just a concept at this point) is the fruit of a partnership between asteroid mining company Deep Space Industries and Space Resources, an asteroid mining initiative developed by the government of Luxembourg. The group announced this week that they’ll soon launch Prospector-X into Earth’s orbit to test resource extracting technologies.

Asteroid mining is still a infantile industry. Our first probes landed on a comet just at the end of 2014. But countries like Luxembourg and the United States are gearing up for a competitive race to the asteroids within our reach, as they contain resources like water and minerals. Luxembourg has aimed to be Europe’s leading asteroid miner, while last year President Obama signed a bill that gave companies permission to mine –and own– resources harvested from outer space, asteroids included. Companies cannot stake claim to the asteroids themselves however.

Awesome news!!!! Want to decrease our debt? and own a shit ton of rare metals...Well, here is the way to do it.

How does one know what an asteroid actually contains ahead of time? We could all hope to get that asteroid made of gold (and crash the gold market in the process), but it's far more likely to get one made of iron.

Still, good on them. I don't care who goes to the stars, just so long as humanity gets to go.

Mining asteroids really ? How ridiculous can that be ? Sounds like a huge drain on an economy where as either it is legit or it is a hoax to get millions out of an economy in order to enrich a few with an ultimate scam involved. I think man made climate change as is being touted in the way that it is, uh is also a huge scam to bilk a nation out of billions in a redistribution scheme.
These issues can be created and exploited like never before now, so I just hope people don't believe or become so gullible to just buy into anything these days without careful review with those who are like minded.

• Banned
Mining asteroids really ? How ridiculous can that be ? Sounds like a huge drain on an economy where as either it is legit or it is a hoax to get millions out of an economy in order to enrich a few with an ultimate scam involved. I think man made climate change as is being touted in the way that it is, uh is also a huge scam to bilk a nation out of billions in a redistribution scheme.
These issues can be created and exploited like never before now, so I just hope people don't believe or become so gullible to just buy into anything these days without careful review with those who are like minded.

Space has unlimited resources that could greatly expand the global economy. Are you so dumb to believe otherwise? I bet the people of Spain believed the same about funding the mission to the America's, but look at what happened. Turns out the world economy expanded and launched us into 500 years of rapid development.

People like you is why I will vote democrat this election. You think everything is a scam, while the truth is one asteroid is worth trillions of dollars of extra resources and we don't have to fuck up our own planet to make it.So really, what is so wrong with doing what we have been doing for hundreds of years but taking that idea into space?

Our resources aren't limitless on this planet...So you better rethink.

Space has unlimited resources that could greatly expand the global economy. Are you so dumb to believe otherwise? I bet the people of Spain believed the same about funding the mission to the America's, but look at what happened. Turns out the world economy expanded and launched us into 500 years of rapid development.

People like you is why I will vote democrat this election. You think everything is a scam, while the truth is one asteroid is worth trillions of dollars of extra resources and we don't have to fuck up our own planet to make it.So really, what is so wrong with doing what we have been doing for hundreds of years but taking that idea into space?

Our resources aren't limitless on this planet...So you better rethink.
. Control the population, and the resources will never end on this earth. Incentivize the populations to rise to dangerous levels, then of course you have to resort to insane thinking to feed it all. The dems are the worst abusers of incentivizing out of control birth rates in this nation alone, and just imagine if they didn't have abortion clinics ending a huge population that would have been, and this on top of what they had created already, we would be catching those asteroids like spaceships out of here instead of mining them..

• Banned
The benefits of successfully mining our solar system is
1. We don't have to rip up our planet and natural treasures
2. There's a lot more resources in just our solar system then on our small planet. Probably enough to grow the world economy many times over again. How can you say it is a scam? Sure it is going to be hard, but hard doesn't make it a scam. Walking out of Africa or sailing to the new world was also hard.
3. The reality that said resources could grow our economy large enough to move all of humanity to our standards(America and Europe).
4. Our planet is very finite in resources.

No, I wouldn't call it a scam as there's a lot of profit and benefit in doing it. I hope capitalism lets loose in does 90% of the heavy work but I think humanity should go for it.

Forum List

Back