Meat consumption linked to increased risk of early death

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
In the end some vegan will be gloating over my death bed and they'll ask "Was all that steak and bacon worth it?" I'll look them in the eyes and say "Hell yes." and then flat line.

Meat consumption linked to increased risk of early death - Redorbit

Bad news for fans of bacon cheeseburgers: a new review of large-scale studies involving more than 1.5 million subjects has discovered that consuming at least one serving of red or processed meats every day causes a significant increase in all-cause mortality rate.

The paper, which was published in the May edition of the Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, looked at six previous studies that evaluated the effects of both meat and vegetarian diets on mortality, and found that most of them discovered a link between red meat consumption and increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease, cancer or other causes.

Last edited:
Correlation does not equal causation.

While the human digestive system is not ideally evolved for the consumption of meat, the benefits of eating meat far outweigh the (very speculative) harms. Mankind's intellectual evolution was greatly accelerated when our primitive ancestors began hunting and eating meat, which meant that instead of constantly seeking and eating plants, an entire day's nutrition could be provided by a single, high-protein meal.

• Banned

While the human digestive system is not ideally evolved for the consumption of meat, the benefits of eating meat far outweigh the (very speculative) harms. Mankind's intellectual evolution was greatly accelerated when our primitive ancestors began hunting and eating meat, which meant that instead of constantly seeking and eating plants, an entire day's nutrition could be provided by a single, high-protein meal.

Yeah, but you're not your primitive ancestors, so not eating meat or eating very little would probably be healthier for you. Screw that though. What's life without steak and bacon?

Last edited:
"For the purposes of the study, processed meat included products such as bacon, sausage, salami, hot dogs, and ham..."

Which proves the study is bullshit. The only question is who got what amount of money. Once you throw in low grade products into your study you designed it for a predetermined outcome. Salami, hot dogs and hamburger are not quality sources of protein and mankind didn't evolve on them, they ate natural lean meats.

It's a stupid study for stupid people.

• Banned
"For the purposes of the study, processed meat included products such as bacon, sausage, salami, hot dogs, and ham..."

Which proves the study is bullshit.

Why? Meat eaters today regularly consume processed meats such as those, so in my opinion it's not outrageous to use them in the study. Eating small amounts of lean meats is probably not going to increase your risk of death, but that's not what the study is arguing.

image.jpeg

Which proves the study is bullshit.

Why? Meat eaters today regularly consume processed meats such as those, so in my opinion it's not outrageous to use them in the study. Eating small amounts of lean meats is probably not going to increase your risk of death, but that's not what the study is arguing.
I don't understand why people do this. Not every meat eater consumes meat byproducts on a regular basis. The so called study lumps them all together, meaning it has no value.

I'm 60 years old. I have had high cholesterol ever since it's been measured. I am also considered overweight. I do not have high blood pressure, I do not have diabetes, I do not smoke, both of my parents are 84 and do not have heart disease. I do not exercise and I am considered a low risk.

Love me some bacon, steak, Bar-B-Que, steak, and fried foods.

Nothing new here. It has been known for a long LONG time that eating meat is harmful. But, a far better study is The China Study.

This is very much like what we were told about smoking. The meat cartels hire professional liars, just as the tobacco companies did and, you've got to admit, its very effective.

We all know that smoking causes health problems that cause misery and early death - just like meat. And yet, there are those who will still tell you that smoking doesn't harm you or that meat is good for you. And, everyone knows someone who knows someone whose grandfather smoked, drank, ate 78 pieces of bacon every day and lived to be 110.

Obviously, something is gonna kill me but I have seen the results of smoking cigarettes and eating meat, as well as other assaults on our bodies but I want to feel well and strong for as long as I can.

The #1 risk of Coronary Artery Disease is heredity.
Rounding out the top 3 are Diabetes and hypertension.
If it's listed, high fat diet is 4th or 5th.

But you can change that.

To a great extent, its considered "hereditary" because we tend to live the same as our parents, grandparents, etc. If you change your way of living, you can change your future.

And you're wrong about the leading causes of death.

Yes, most are diet related - heart disease, diabetes, cancer - but about 3rd or so is medical mistakes.

But you can change that.

To a great extent, its considered "hereditary" because we tend to live the same as our parents, grandparents, etc. If you change your way of living, you can change your future.

Yes, most are diet related - heart disease, diabetes, cancer - but about 3rd or so is medical mistakes.

I didn't say death, I said coronary artery disease.

Irish Lamb Stew. It's like a vegetarian meal, but with REAL food!

upload_2016-5-8_8-47-7.png

But you can change that.

Agree +

Heavy meat eating can lead to heart disease. As a matter of fact, heart surgeons routinely advise patients of bypass surgeries to cut down on meat consumption.

Yeah, but you're not your primitive ancestors, so not eating meat or eating very little would probably be healthier for you. Screw that though. What's life without steak and bacon?
Ain't worth a damn without caramelized onions and mushrooms...

But you can change that.

Agree +

Heavy meat eating can lead to heart disease. As a matter of fact, heart surgeons routinely advise patients of bypass surgeries to cut down on meat consumption.
That's funny because it's the diet high in sugars and complex carbs that causes the problem. I guess it's money in the bank for them.

But you can change that.

Agree +

Yes, but that's because they have already suffered heart disease. When you have it, it's a good idea to use every means available to reduce your risk. doctors ALSO have them avoid sugary foods, get exercise, take blood pressure medication, statins, and blood thinners.

None of that changes the fact that cholesterol is not an important factor in preventing Coronary Artery Disease.

Forum List

Back