Low Rider Taxi

Shrimpbox

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2013
Carrabelle, fl. 60 miles s of tallahassee
This thread will not be about high minded principles and philosophies but rather an effort to come up with a solution to a real world problem.

We have just opened a second mom and pop type restaurant and we have hired four new cooks. One of the boys, who is a good worker and an excellentl cook lives across town and so has challenges in getting to work because he has no license and no vehicle. He has to cobble together unhelpful bus routes, family favors, or friends with a car. Sometimes even the bosses take him home. So far he likes his job and wants to continue but dependability is a factor.

Instead of spending millions on ineffective mass transit why not create a voucher system. If someone will give a worker a ride to work, let the employer sign a voucher that the driver can redeem for money in relationship to the distance he had to travel. That way the worker doesn't have to spend a large chunk of his daily pay on transportation( our employee spends 12 dollars to take a taxi one way) and someone else reaps the benefit of assisting someone to get to the job. Only people in poverty or lower class situations would be eligible, and employers would be responsible for the authenticity of the vouchers they signed.

Can someone give me some love here?

This thread will not be about high minded principles and philosophies but rather an effort to come up with a solution to a real world problem.

We have just opened a second mom and pop type restaurant and we have hired four new cooks. One of the boys, who is a good worker and an excellentl cook lives across town and so has challenges in getting to work because he has no license and no vehicle. He has to cobble together unhelpful bus routes, family favors, or friends with a car. Sometimes even the bosses take him home. So far he likes his job and wants to continue but dependability is a factor.

Instead of spending millions on ineffective mass transit why not create a voucher system. If someone will give a worker a ride to work, let the employer sign a voucher that the driver can redeem for money in relationship to the distance he had to travel. That way the worker doesn't have to spend a large chunk of his daily pay on transportation( our employee spends 12 dollars to take a taxi one way) and someone else reaps the benefit of assisting someone to get to the job. Only people in poverty or lower class situations would be eligible, and employers would be responsible for the authenticity of the vouchers they signed.

Can someone give me some love here?

Why don't you barter and comp the cab driver a meal?

Comp the taxi driver, not a bad idea, but we have already given this person a job and are paying 10 dollars an hour, and I am looking for generic solutions. And this fella is poor, lives with his mom, our side of town of town is probably too rich for his pocketbook. I think I am suggesting that present spending, not suggesting new spending, be redirected to a program like this one, because there would be more benefits all around, no reason taxi driver couldn't get in on this too

Comp the taxi driver, not a bad idea, but we have already given this person a job and are paying 10 dollars an hour, and I am looking for generic solutions. And this fella is poor, lives with his mom, our side of town of town is probably too rich for his pocketbook. I think I am suggesting that present spending, not suggesting new spending, be redirected to a program like this one, because there would be more benefits all around, no reason taxi driver couldn't get in on this too

Perhaps raise his pay and make it clear he's responsible for getting to work? Whether he's using the extra for cabs, buses, or buying a car. How far is it? Can he perhaps ride a bicycle?

Los Angeles already has a low income taxi voucher. I thought everyone did. Some areas have ride share. The cab drivers hate it. I would only take a cab as a last resort anyway.

The other problem with trying to help one employee is that the other employees want to know why they aren't getting the same benes. If your paying for him to get here, why aren't you paying for my gas, etc. like I said I'm looking for generic solutions and only used the personal example to give a real world feel to a national problem.

There is no solution to problems of personal respinsibility. Getting to work is his problem not yours.

TO THE RESCUE!

rest.jpg

So once again Cal leads the nation with new trends. Ah could it be that states are the incubators of great ideas? If it works in Cal without exploding costs why couldn't we ..............................................?( fill in the blank)

Spot the guy the tuition for a driving school. Lease a car in the company's name and allow him to drive it. There may be tax incentives for you to do this.

I am grateful for so many solutions but you all should give yourselves a round of applause. This is so much more pleasant than the social contract discussion. But I think some suggestions reflect the regions and the economic status of the writers. Some solutions may be too sophisticated and too high end for this particular situation. Having tried my share of saving the world situations I have learned not to get too invested in the rehabilitation or transformation of any subject.

Our employee does not seem unhappy with his situation, as a matter of fact he believes he has not only saved money but stayed out of trouble because he did not have a vehicle. But I think he has come to a stage in his life where wheels would be nice. Having overthought this situation I even told him if he would get a license I would finance a scooter for him. But I think I got ahead of myself having only known him for. 45 days.

I think one has to guard against too much condescension. What we think it takes to make other people content may not be the way they see it. If he decides he wants to improve his lot and acts on it, I'll try to find a way to help if he wants it.

So once again Cal leads the nation with new trends. Ah could it be that states are the incubators of great ideas? If it works in Cal without exploding costs why couldn't we ..............................................?( fill in the blank)

Take it to city hall. The way it works is the rider buys vouchers on a sliding income scale. The balance of funds gets made up by federal funding. The cab drivers register as willing to accept vouchers. It works quite well. You might look into paying for a bus pass too. Split the cost of a bus pass with the employee and you have a cheap perk to offer.

I would tweak it a little more. I wasn't thinking about the rider paying any money if they are in a certain income bracket although sliding scales would be a nice touch. I don't see why only taxi drivers could use vouchers. Anyone who gives someone a ride should be able to collect a voucher,I mean they are already doing the deed anyway. That would spread more money around the community and could possibly spark entrepreneurs . If taxi drivers hate picking up those cheap fares let others in the community do it. Ideas like this don't fly because there is not enough regulation involved but I like it. How bout calling it a Pass for Gas.

Forum List

Back