Low-profile auto ramps

I prefer to pay others for such mundane activity.
Working on your own car is a mundane activity? I guess that’s one way to view it.
Working on my own ride has saved me thousands.
Just fixed the climate control blend door actuator on my Jeep. Half the lower dash had to be removed to replace a 20 dollar piece of plastic gear that separates passenger and drivers side climate. Was blowing hot air on one side. For dealer to do this repair costs 1200 bucks. Had to do other side two years ago. That is 2400 bucks I didn't blow at the Stealership. Do all my own suspension and brake jobs, oil changes and have figured out several sensors with help from auto forums and You Tube.
I will stick with mundane and money kept in my wallet.
Got to do that same repair on my folks Deville....how long did it take.

Working on your own car is a mundane activity? I guess that’s one way to view it.
Just fixed the climate control blend door actuator on my Jeep. Half the lower dash had to be removed to replace a 20 dollar piece of plastic gear that separates passenger and drivers side climate. Was blowing hot air on one side. For dealer to do this repair costs 1200 bucks. Had to do other side two years ago. That is 2400 bucks I didn't blow at the Stealership. Do all my own suspension and brake jobs, oil changes and have figured out several sensors with help from auto forums and You Tube.
Plus...it's very satisfying to fix things. I'd almost call it therapeutic. It was broke...and I made it work right again.

Got to do that same repair on my folks Deville....how long did it take.
About 6 hours the first time. The drivers side was about 3.5 hours of my life in a crappy tight space, but did go smoothly since I was familiar with it. Found an awesome video on You Tube that was vehicle specific for my Grand Cherokee. Showed how the panels are removed, the ducting, and other items to get at actuator.
Hopefully you can find some information specific to the car you work on. I was determined not to take it to shop.

Build yourself one of these:

iu

I mean, you know, if you're serious about doing your own work... LOL

I hear there are prefab versions. You dig the hole, they put it in and pour concrete around it...

No way I'd trust a pair of cheap Harbor Freight plastic junk ramps from China.
Buy some quality metal ones. ... :cool:
Can’t find any for less than $300
Cut some from 4x4 or 4x6 pressure treated timbers.

I've driven my semi trucks on to timbers to change outside tires.

Cut an angle on them like an old fashion door stop and bolt them together. I've counter sunk and pinned a second level. You could even get fancy and add sides liked the commercial ramps.

Or you could buy angle iron flat ramps (like for a trailer) and attach them to a 6x6 or a rail road cross tie.

View attachment 351215

Or you could buy a 2x12 and do this...

View attachment 351218

But I would chamfer those edges, Titebond III glue the boards together, them drill down thru and drive dowels to pin it together instead of nailing...or you can counter sink big bolts.

Just some ideas.
Those are good ideas. Thanks!

I just had to change out the oxygen sensor which is actually two sections: an upstream and a downstream. One was accessible under the hood but the other one was a pita, under the car. I borrowed a mechanic buddy’s large jack but I don’t want one of my own. The ramps would be fine for me.

One was accessible under the hood but the other one was a pita, under the car. I borrowed a mechanic buddy’s large jack but I don’t want one of my own. The ramps would be fine for me.
I wound never get under a car that was held up by just a jack. Always use jack stands. ... :cool:

Many years ago I had a friend that was working under his car held up by a jack. For some reason the jack failed and the car came down pinning him under it.
Fortunately, his driveway was dirt not concrete, and there was a low place in the ground where he laid working. Which saved him from being crushed to death.
Although, he did have broken ribs, chest trauma, and was in the hospital for about a week.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back