Looking for a good series. Any ideas?

Downton Abbey. Six seasons (about 10 episodes per season). Hour long drama--no commercials if you watch PBS. So its a bit of a commitment. It follows a family of nobles from 1910's through the next decade or two. The world is changing and the nobles are trying to find their place in it. The stuff you see on the screen is about 1/2 of what goes on upstairs and 1/2 what goes on downstairs. The servants are featured just as much as the served.

Ted Lasso. I have really liked it thus far. Its a contrived story about an American Football coach going to London to coach Futbol. He's a Quixotic character who sees victories in losing, progress in disaster, and humor in the humdrum. You root for everyone in this show. Its almost impossible not to. The Christmas episode in season 2 is some of the best, most uplifting TV I have seen. There is a reason it wins so many emmys. AppleTV+. You can see the first two episodes for free. And you'll likely subscribe after.

Better Things. Of the three, I least recommend this one. Not because of the content of the show but because it's not like the others. While there are continuing storylines through out the series (9 seasons I think), there are episodes where the storylines are not pushed forward very much if at all. Where the show runners actually drill deeper into a developed story line. Sam Fox is a single mother of 3 girls. She is a minor character actress who has some fame but is struggling. What I like about the show is that everyone is a source of friction. There are no gimmies on this show.
Where is Better Things available?

I really liked Queen's Gambit, The Crown, Ozarks, Bodyguard. and Witcher on Netflix. On Prime, I like Night Sky, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. On HBO, Game of Thrones. I like good stories and good acting and character development. Any suggestions?
For "good stories and good acting and character development", Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are pretty hard to beat.

Last edited:
I really liked Queen's Gambit, The Crown, Ozarks, Bodyguard. and Witcher on Netflix. On Prime, I like Night Sky, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. On HBO, Game of Thrones. I like good stories and good acting and character development. Any suggestions?
Apple TV has some good ones, and AppleTV is surprisingly cheap for what you get.
At the top is a series called "The Servant" I wrote a review about it in this forum. It alone is worth paying the subscrition. Really good series. I would be very surprised if you didn't like it from the get go.
A good sitcom on it is "Ted Lasso". Good acting and characters and Jason Sudekis is hilarious in it.
They have a free trial period of 7 days I think, way worth it. Also has a fare number of movies.

Wow, Gunsmoke. I have a collection of the episodes. I have seen all the early episodes through season 11, many more than once. I don't like the latter epoxides in color that much. Do you mean the Untouchable's series with Robert Stack?
Yes, the black & white series with Robert Stack, narration by Walter Winchell. and ominous music soundtracks by Nelson Riddle. Then there was the dark shadowy filming, which added to the eerieness of it. It was priceless.

Gunsmoke I watch 6 days a week. if I miss one, I'll bring up an episode on YouTube to make up for it. Total addiction.

You seen sopranos

Have you seen Band of Brothers yet?

You seen sopranos
Oh yes. It was one of the earlier series to reject the stereotyping of good guys and guys. Today that's pretty common. Having known some really bad guys in my life. the truth is they were not all bad. The worst of the bunch was always getting in trouble over drugs and petty theft but he was a good dad, good husband, generous, and someone you could always count on for help.

I have to second The Wire. My favorite series of all time. HBO.

I also have to second Band of Brothers. Fantastic series. And all true. Also HBO.

I have bought the box sets of both The Wire and Band of Brothers, and my DVD collection is not that big. I have to really, really enjoy something to want to own the DVD.

The Band of Brothers box set came with The Pacific series.

I don't get the Downton Abbey phenomena. It's a soap opera. I do not like soap operas.

I also have to second Band of Brothers. Fantastic series. And all true. Also HBO.

I have bought the box sets of both The Wire and Band of Brothers, and my DVD collection is not that big. I have to really, really enjoy something to want to own the DVD.

I don't get the Downton Abbey phenomena. It's a soap opera. I do not like soap operas.
Band of Brothers is super good.
And it will have a Season 2 on Apple + called "Masters of the Air".

Downton Abbey is an English period piece that spans two world wars with a of touch of Edwardian England. What makes Downton Abbey so popular is the Quick-witted dialogue. Downton Abbey may be a drama, but one of its winning qualities is its fast-paced, humorous dialogue and wordplay.

Most audiences think of drama as car chases, bombs going off, invasion of vampires', people being shot. In Downton Abbey the drama is created by the actors, not the actual events. We rarely see them. For example: Mrs. Patmore thinks she is going blind. Cora loses her baby. William dies after getting his final wish to marry Daisy. Anna is assaulted. You never really see the action but the drama is created by actors.

To enjoy Downton Abbey, you have pay attention and let the actors create the characters so you will feel their joy and pain as the story unravels. In other words, it ain't the kind of movie or TV program that you chomp popcorn and candy and chat with your friends while waiting for the big events to happen.

Last edited:
Hbo just announced a Jon Snow series that will continue after the ending
I am sure it won’t be out until 2024-5

Forum List

Back