Looking for a good series. Any ideas?

I'm extremely picky about what I watch.

Aside from Star Trek New Worlds and The Orville Season 3, I'm watching the new season of SkinWalker Ranch.

Other than that, watching my favorite oldies. I don't care for 99% of the crap they pump out nowadays.

"The Stand" based on a (long) Stephen King novel. A global pandemic leaves a few humans alive. One faction is drawn to an old black woman in rural Arkansas and another faction is drawn to Vegas and a charismatic leader.

I really liked Queen's Gambit, The Crown, Ozarks, Bodyguard. and Witcher on Netflix. On Prime, I like Night Sky, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. On HBO, Game of Thrones. I like good stories and good acting and character development. Any suggestions?
Yep. I've had good experience at GoodWill. In my area they sell old dvds for around $2. I was too busy with raising children and chauffeuring when a lot of good movies were playing out, and my late husband spent a lot of his spare time on charity, community service, and active in the church. We saw a couple of relaly funny movies, but our work was time consuming. After retirement, I found a bunch of movies I'd always wanted to see, so I bought a couple of movies every time I went to Goodwill. It became a loving obsession, and now I have at least a thousand movies, half of which I haven't seen yet. The good thing is you can pick your own type of movies, and it was always a good day when I found a musical movie dvd. You can also get bargain deals "100 dvds, no two alike or maybe 1 or 2 duplicates," and if you're lucky, you'll get movies that are a good way to take your mind off politics when things get stupid or stupider. lol. Hope you find a good group. I really lucked out one day at a local sell-all shop. I got a full collection of M.A.S.H. with no bad dvds at all, and I laughed through most of them for several months. Everybody who participated did a fabulous thespian treat, and there were NO commercials Yay!

"The Stand" based on a (long) Stephen King novel. A global pandemic leaves a few humans alive. One faction is drawn to an old black woman in rural Arkansas and another faction is drawn to Vegas and a charismatic leader.
Along that line…I’ve been watching a series from The 90’s. The Dead Zone. It’s good.

Yep. I've had good experience at GoodWill. In my area they sell old dvds for around $2. I was too busy with raising children and chauffeuring when a lot of good movies were playing out, and my late husband spent a lot of his spare time on charity, community service, and active in the church. We saw a couple of relaly funny movies, but our work was time consuming. After retirement, I found a bunch of movies I'd always wanted to see, so I bought a couple of movies every time I went to Goodwill. It became a loving obsession, and now I have at least a thousand movies, half of which I haven't seen yet. The good thing is you can pick your own type of movies, and it was always a good day when I found a musical movie dvd. You can also get bargain deals "100 dvds, no two alike or maybe 1 or 2 duplicates," and if you're lucky, you'll get movies that are a good way to take your mind off politics when things get stupid or stupider. lol. Hope you find a good group. I really lucked out one day at a local sell-all shop. I got a full collection of M.A.S.H. with no bad dvds at all, and I laughed through most of them for several months. Everybody who participated did a fabulous thespian treat, and there were NO commercials Yay!
I think in this day of streaming, people forget that are many good older series. MASH is still one of my favorites. In Westerns, Gunsmoke is still one of the best and if you like more classic presentations, Masterpiece Theater is a treasure trove. And for sitcoms, Mary Tyler More Show, All in the Family Cheers, Third Rock, Mork and Mindy. And for drama, Alfred Hickock Presents, Star Trek 2nd Generation, Twilight Zone, The News Room, The White Queen, etc...

What am looking for is newer series on Netflix or Prime

I think in this day of streaming, people forget that are many good older series. MASH is still one of my favorites. In Westerns, Gunsmoke is still one of the best and if you like more classic presentations, Masterpiece Theater is a treasure trove. And for sitcoms, Mary Tyler More Show, All in the Family Cheers, Third Rock, Mork and Mindy. And for drama, Alfred Hickock Presents, Star Trek 2nd Generation, Twilight Zone, The News Room, The White Queen, etc...

What am looking for is newer series on Netflix or Prime
I like Gunsmoke too, and it has a few shows every day on DirecTV. In my collection, I forgot that I have about 300 Westerns that date back to the 50s, and some maybe older. It's time to dust them off and watch them, but sometimes I don't have time, because I have dozens of Bible stories with one exception. Nobody ever bothered to do the book of Ezeikel, which is frequently referred to in the New Testament. I try to spend an hour a day either listening to Bible dvds or watching the video about Constantine one more time... I have two great grandparents who were ministers, so I have that love for scriptures handed down for generations in the family. Retirement is great. you can see movies you never had time for when life was so busy.

Masterpiece Theater sounds great. I wouldn't know where to start with "streaming," which is above my sad little computer paygrade. :biggrin:

I like Gunsmoke too, and it has a few shows every day on DirecTV. In my collection, I forgot that I have about 300 Westerns that date back to the 50s, and some maybe older. It's time to dust them off and watch them, but sometimes I don't have time, because I have dozens of Bible stories with one exception. Nobody ever bothered to do the book of Ezeikel, which is frequently referred to in the New Testament. I try to spend an hour a day either listening to Bible dvds or watching the video about Constantine one more time... I have two great grandparents who were ministers, so I have that love for scriptures handed down for generations in the family. Retirement is great. you can see movies you never had time for when life was so busy.

Masterpiece Theater sounds great. I wouldn't know where to start with "streaming," which is above my sad little computer paygrade. :biggrin:
Streaming is very easy to learn. All you need is a computer or TV that is not too old which you can acquire new for as little as few hundred dollar, but cheaper used. The only expense is monthly cost of an internet connection, about $20 to $40 a month and the cost of what you might want to subscribe to. A lot of the stuff is free if you don't mind commercials.
I found it a big improvement over cable or DVDs.

I really liked Queen's Gambit, The Crown, Ozarks, Bodyguard. and Witcher on Netflix. On Prime, I like Night Sky, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. On HBO, Game of Thrones. I like good stories and good acting and character development. Any suggestions?
Westworld season 4?

And after you start watching it, will you please come back here and help me understand wtf is happening?

I've watched Narcos, it's quite good.
Peaky Blinders is good, I've watched three seasons.
The Stranger Things, is good.

For comedy, Derry Girls is hilarious.
Ghosts is good too.
Both are British, more off the wall comedy than American comedy.

Red Dwarf is a sci-fi comedy, more comedy but the sci-fi is quite deep at times. Very old, from the 1990s. British again.
Fresh off the boat, American-Chinese comedy. Got a lot of non-PC stuff going on.

Downton Abbey. Six seasons (about 10 episodes per season). Hour long drama--no commercials if you watch PBS. So its a bit of a commitment. It follows a family of nobles from 1910's through the next decade or two. The world is changing and the nobles are trying to find their place in it. The stuff you see on the screen is about 1/2 of what goes on upstairs and 1/2 what goes on downstairs. The servants are featured just as much as the served.

Ted Lasso. I have really liked it thus far. Its a contrived story about an American Football coach going to London to coach Futbol. He's a Quixotic character who sees victories in losing, progress in disaster, and humor in the humdrum. You root for everyone in this show. Its almost impossible not to. The Christmas episode in season 2 is some of the best, most uplifting TV I have seen. There is a reason it wins so many emmys. AppleTV+. You can see the first two episodes for free. And you'll likely subscribe after.

Better Things. Of the three, I least recommend this one. Not because of the content of the show but because it's not like the others. While there are continuing storylines through out the series (9 seasons I think), there are episodes where the storylines are not pushed forward very much if at all. Where the show runners actually drill deeper into a developed story line. Sam Fox is a single mother of 3 girls. She is a minor character actress who has some fame but is struggling. What I like about the show is that everyone is a source of friction. There are no gimmies on this show.

Ted Lasso is hilarious. It's also funny because if you know anything about soccer, it makes no sense, but it's still a good show.
End of season one, last day of the football season (it's always on a Saturday or Sunday and always between 12-3pm at the end of May or more likely beginning of June) and they're playing AT NIGHT and it's COLD.

Upload on Prime was funny.

Forum List

Back