Life On Venus ?

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
Venus has so far not been a significant part of the search for life because of its extreme temperatures, atmospheric composition and other factors.

1600258820200.png

In a study published in the journal Nature Astronomy on Monday, scientists said they detected a gas called "phosphine" in the atmosphere of Venus which could indicate the presence of life in the clouds of the planet.

"Life on Venus? The discovery of phosphine, a by-product of anaerobic biology, is the most significant development yet in building the case for life off Earth," Bridenstine said in a tweet on Monday.

"About 10 years ago NASA discovered microbial life at 120,000 ft in Earth's upper atmosphere. It's time to prioritize Venus," he added.

Although the high clouds of Venus have temperatures up to a pleasant 30 degrees Celsius, they are incredibly acidic -- around 90 per cent sulphuric acid -- posing major issues for any microbes trying to survive there.

But doing an analysis of the source of "phosphine" detected in the atmosphere of Venus, the scientists ruled out non-biological sources, meaning that something alive could be the source.

The team, which included researchers from the UK, US and Japan, believes their discovery is significant because they can rule out many alternative ways to make phosphine, but they acknowledged that confirming the presence of "life" needs a lot more work.

NASA, which was not involved in this research, has an extensive astrobiology programme that searches for life in many different ways across the solar system and beyond.

"Over the past two decades, we've made new discoveries that collectively imply a significant increase of the likelihood to find life elsewhere," NASA said in a statement after the surprising finding.

As with an increasing number of planetary bodies, Venus is proving to be an exciting place of discovery, it added.

Two of the next four candidate missions for NASA's Discovery Programme are focused on Venus, as is Europe's EnVision mission, in which NASA is a partner.

"Venus also is a planetary destination we can reach with smaller missions," NASA said.

"Time to Prioritise Venus": NASA after sign of life in the Planet's atmosphere

I never wanted to go to Venus but I always wanted to see Uranus

Venus has so far not been a significant part of the search for life because of its extreme temperatures, atmospheric composition and other factors.

In a study published in the journal Nature Astronomy on Monday, scientists said they detected a gas called "phosphine" in the atmosphere of Venus which could indicate the presence of life in the clouds of the planet.

"Life on Venus? The discovery of phosphine, a by-product of anaerobic biology, is the most significant development yet in building the case for life off Earth," Bridenstine said in a tweet on Monday.

"About 10 years ago NASA discovered microbial life at 120,000 ft in Earth's upper atmosphere. It's time to prioritize Venus," he added.

Although the high clouds of Venus have temperatures up to a pleasant 30 degrees Celsius, they are incredibly acidic -- around 90 per cent sulphuric acid -- posing major issues for any microbes trying to survive there.

But doing an analysis of the source of "phosphine" detected in the atmosphere of Venus, the scientists ruled out non-biological sources, meaning that something alive could be the source.

The team, which included researchers from the UK, US and Japan, believes their discovery is significant because they can rule out many alternative ways to make phosphine, but they acknowledged that confirming the presence of "life" needs a lot more work.

NASA, which was not involved in this research, has an extensive astrobiology programme that searches for life in many different ways across the solar system and beyond.

"Over the past two decades, we've made new discoveries that collectively imply a significant increase of the likelihood to find life elsewhere," NASA said in a statement after the surprising finding.

As with an increasing number of planetary bodies, Venus is proving to be an exciting place of discovery, it added.

Two of the next four candidate missions for NASA's Discovery Programme are focused on Venus, as is Europe's EnVision mission, in which NASA is a partner.

"Venus also is a planetary destination we can reach with smaller missions," NASA said.

One can only imagine what would happen if any of those Venusian life forms were brought here. Would they adapt, multiply, and devour every living thing on this planet?

It's probably time to nuke Venus from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

THE MORNING STAR, THE EVENING STAR------we are already living on Venus ~~~~~~~~~~at least, I AM

Fine post, Dalia. Thank you.

I am very sure that within the next 50 years we will locate alien life within our own solar system. After we do that it will completely alter our perspective when it comes to the occurrence of life in the universe. What are the odds of it occurring more than once in one solar system if it's truly such a rare thing? I think it's possible that life will exist anywhere it is capable of existing.

One can only imagine what would happen if any of those Venusian life forms were brought here. Would they adapt, multiply, and devour every living thing on this planet?

It's probably time to nuke Venus from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
:auiqs.jpg:

The French media were talking about it last night and it’s so rare that they have interesting news , I thought I’ll put it there for you. but I figured you’d have already the information before us? We’re sometime a little off-beat.:th_yourecute:

Right now, the most logical explanation for phosphine is a biological source, perhaps some sort of cloud-born autotroph.

But, I suspect there also be a non-biological origin for the gas.

Either way, I suspect we (I mean our robots) may have to go there to find out.

I have seen earlier theories of life on Venus, which I still hope are true.

queen-of-outer-space.jpg

NASA's search for life is the biggest waste of money in the history of wastes of money. This coming from a guy who holds 2 science degrees and loves science.

Titan is a planet awash in methane and hydrocarbons which Fossil Fuel Loons tell us is the result of biotic processes and evidence of life.

Hydro Carbons are Abiotic. They are simply a combination of hydrogen and carbon and you do not need a biotic process to create them.

Fossil Fuel is a hoax, just as The Green New Deal and Climate Change is a hoax.

It is nothing more than Psychological Warfare on your mind to bring you in to compliant thinking.

Behold the Methane Oceans, Seas, Rivers and Lakes of Titan!
1600262599306.png

Last edited:
These stories always make my eyes roll. The left is so sure that finding a micro-organism off this planet will totally disprove the existence of God that any sign of bacteria farts makes a headline.

We can see galaxies from so far away 1000 generations of humans couldn't make it there even if Ludicrous Speed were possible, and we have found not one planet with water and lights on. There isn't yet a rock floating around a distant star that would take more than generations to get to at Light Speed that we could colonize.

There is no "life" anywhere else.

Last edited:
I'll go out on a limb here:

There might have been life on Venus at one time, maybe even advanced civilizations for all we know. There might have been a time when that planet was in the same distance from the sun, that we are now.

A planet's rotation around the sun is not perpetual motion, and every rotation brings it closer and closer to the gravitational pull of such a massive body. The amount is probably minuscule and barely-measurable by our standards, but I'm talking about a period of billions of years here.

So according to that theory, this earth would at some point be a burned-out planet 67.24 million miles close to the sun, and Mars would be where we are now, 92.96 million miles from the sun: The perfect distance that is sustainable for life.

Of course, I don't really believe this crap. I prefer to believe as in Genesis 1, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." That's what I prefer to believe, and that's called "faith."

Right now, the most logical explanation for phosphine is a biological source, perhaps some sort of cloud-born autotroph.

But, I suspect there also be a non-biological origin for the gas.

Either way, I suspect we (I mean our robots) may have to go there to find out.

I have seen earlier theories of life on Venus, which I still hope are true.

View attachment 389311
No reason to go to Venus to investigate Hydro Carbon gasses since Hydro Carbons are extremely abundant and are of non biological origins. And please, everyone quit calling Methane, and Petroleum Fossil Fuels.

That is so 1880s.

Abiotic Oil Theory is more accurate and current science.

Example: Titan

This is Titan and that dark blue ocean is liquid "Natural Gas" There has never been and never will be life on Titan and life did not create oceans rivers and lakes of Natural Gas, nor volcanoes spewing petroleum.

1600262343085.png

Forum List

Back