Liberal professor warns that Obama's actions are unconstitutional

How is a President who has issued fewer Executive Orders than any recent President and has yet to use his Veto overstepping his executive powers?

Pay attention. It's how he's using it. All presidents have that power, but there is a limit to it and there is a clear point where it becomes abuse of power.

And where is that clear point?

How is a President who has issued fewer Executive Orders than any recent President and has yet to use his Veto overstepping his executive powers?

Pay attention. It's how he's using it. All presidents have that power, but there is a limit to it and there is a clear point where it becomes abuse of power.

And where is that clear point?

The clear point is that the rightwing is ticked off that they don't get to call the shots so feel it is an "abuse of power"

King Obama.....

With an approval rating fit for a king.

In the toilet.

He still has a higher approval rating than the Republican Party

That's saying a great deal.

But then again, he lost the house in two years when he was supposed to keep it for eight.

And he will likely lose the senate in six (after it was weakened in two).

Who did he lose it to ? Those hated republicans.

Get a clue...moron.

He still has a higher approval rating than the Republican Party

exactly and this surprises you how

most conservatives are not happy with the republicans these days

you know why

they act like democrats

Conservatives have even lower ratings

You bet.

The Tea Party took the house from Obama and gave him a thorn in his side called Ted Cruz.

Obama is losing it on a national level. Who really cares about the GOP on a national level. The Tea Party did it one district at a time (and they are wildly popular in those districts).

Ooops I forgot...you have your own version of the USC where things like that don't matter. You just want to be able to bow to your king three times a day.

obama oversaw the largest increase in House Republicans in over 60 years

this fall doesnt look so good for Dems either

true story

idiots and hypocrites

exactly and this surprises you how

most conservatives are not happy with the republicans these days

you know why

they act like democrats

You bet.

The Tea Party took the house from Obama and gave him a thorn in his side called Ted Cruz.

Obama is losing it on a national level. Who really cares about the GOP on a national level. The Tea Party did it one district at a time (and they are wildly popular in those districts).

Ooops I forgot...you have your own version of the USC where things like that don't matter. You just want to be able to bow to your king three times a day.

TeaTards have even lower ratings than Conservatives

Looks like some dyed-in-the-wool liberals are starting to worry about Obama's unprecedented power grab. This professor, like most liberals, doesn't have any problem with what Obama is doing, but doesn't like the way he is doing it. Our constitution is in danger and we know now that Obama wasn't kidding about the fundamental changes he intended to make to our country. While all presidents have used executive orders, they respected the limits placed on them. Obama is trying to legislate through force, without the involvement of congress. The parties have always battled over the right things to do for the country, but Obama has decided that he isn't interested in debate, explaining his position or even including congress in the process. He's going to do as he wishes whether there is support from either side or not. That makes him dangerous because our constitution means nothing to him.

On top of all that, Turley makes a solid point that just because he might agree with much of the work Obama is doing doesn't mean he should tolerate the President's unconstitutional means of doing so:

"The fact that I happen to think the president is right on many of these policies does not alter the fact that I believe the means he is doing is wrong, and that this can be a dangerous change in our system. And our system is changing in a very fundamental way. And it's changing without a whimper of regret or opposition."

Liberal Professor Warns that Obama Administration Taking Us to 'Constitutional Tipping Point'

Liberal Professor Warns that Obama Administration Taking Us to 'Constitutional Tipping Point' | Independent Journal Review

What the Constitution might say, and what current laws might allow by way of legal precedents and SCOTUS rulings is often quite different. So saying something is 'unconstitutional' might well be true, but null and void because of some legal precedent making it legal. We don't change the Constitution every time a court says something the Constitution doesn't address is defined. As with abortion. There's no right abortion in the Constitution (it's thus 'unconstitutional,) the right came to exist because of the courts.

Looks like some dyed-in-the-wool liberals are starting to worry about Obama's unprecedented power grab. This professor, like most liberals, doesn't have any problem with what Obama is doing, but doesn't like the way he is doing it. Our constitution is in danger and we know now that Obama wasn't kidding about the fundamental changes he intended to make to our country. While all presidents have used executive orders, they respected the limits placed on them. Obama is trying to legislate through force, without the involvement of congress. The parties have always battled over the right things to do for the country, but Obama has decided that he isn't interested in debate, explaining his position or even including congress in the process. He's going to do as he wishes whether there is support from either side or not. That makes him dangerous because our constitution means nothing to him.

On top of all that, Turley makes a solid point that just because he might agree with much of the work Obama is doing doesn't mean he should tolerate the President's unconstitutional means of doing so:

"The fact that I happen to think the president is right on many of these policies does not alter the fact that I believe the means he is doing is wrong, and that this can be a dangerous change in our system. And our system is changing in a very fundamental way. And it's changing without a whimper of regret or opposition."

Liberal Professor Warns that Obama Administration Taking Us to 'Constitutional Tipping Point'

Liberal Professor Warns that Obama Administration Taking Us to 'Constitutional Tipping Point' | Independent Journal Review

What the Constitution might say, and what current laws might allow by way of legal precedents and SCOTUS rulings is often quite different. So saying something is 'unconstitutional' might well be true, but null and void because of some legal precedent making it legal. We don't change the Constitution every time a court says something the Constitution doesn't address is defined. As with abortion. There's no right abortion in the Constitution (it's thus 'unconstitutional,) the right came to exist because of the courts.

no not really

the court found in roe vs wade

that 14th Amendment extended to a womans decision to have an abortion

patriot act , nsa etc...but you wont find the Op saying this...

Then you haven't paid attention because I've bought it up many times before.

I am waiting for a liberal here to say why it's okay for Obama to take those controversial moves by Bush and add to them. Not a peep yet. Still waiting.

Obama is actually legislating now and getting carried away. He has gone too far and looks like he has no plans to stop trampling the constitution.
Uh huh...too far..you were warned this would happen under bush. It was ignored fornshort sited emotional needs. The disguise of we are at war because your guy was in charge made it ok.

No its not right that Obama has carried on these programs, he should have taken them down.sadly no president is going to now. They cant. Hell part of me says bush was forced into creating these things and thus doesnt get totally blame.

But then again im not a hack.

patriot act , nsa etc...but you wont find the Op saying this...

I am waiting for a liberal here to say why it's okay for Obama to take those controversial moves by Bush and add to them. Not a peep yet. Still waiting.

Obama is actually legislating now and getting carried away. He has gone too far and looks like he has no plans to stop trampling the constitution.
Uh huh...too far..you were warned this would happen under bush. It was ignored fornshort sited emotional needs. The disguise of we are at war because your guy was in charge made it ok.

No its not right that Obama has carried on these programs, he should have taken them down.sadly no president is going to now. They cant. Hell part of me says bush was forced into creating these things and thus doesnt get totally blame.

Um, actually you are.

Um, actually you are.
Not at all..The idea anyone you vote for will take down the name or PA is laughable. That's why I don't blame bush, Obama or mitt had he won.

You bet.

TeaTards have even lower ratings than Conservatives

And I care...why ?

They are only making the federal government more conservative.

I guess they just are not smart enough to stop and read those ratings. They just keep on kicking your ass.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-110publ140/html/PLAW-110publ140.htm

[[Page 121 STAT. 1500]]

(1) Study.--Not later than 1 year after the National
Academy of Sciences publishes the results of its study under
section 108 of the Ten-in-Ten Fuel Economy Act, the Secretary of
Transportation, in consultation with the Secretary of Energy and
the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, shall
examine the fuel efficiency of commercial medium- and heavy-duty
on-highway vehicles and work trucks and determine--
``(A) the appropriate test procedures and
methodologies for measuring the fuel efficiency of such
vehicles and work trucks;
``(B) the appropriate metric for measuring and
expressing commercial medium- and heavy-duty on-highway
vehicle and work truck fuel efficiency performance,
taking into consideration, among other things, the work
performed by such on-highway vehicles and work trucks
and types of operations in which they are used;
``(C) the range of factors, including, without
limitation, design, functionality, use, duty cycle,
infrastructure, and total overall energy consumption and
operating costs that affect commercial medium- and
heavy-duty on-highway vehicle and work truck fuel
efficiency; and
``(D) such other factors and conditions that could
have an impact on a program to improve commercial
medium- and heavy-duty on-highway vehicle and work truck
fuel efficiency.
``(2) Rulemaking.--Not <<NOTE: Deadline.>> later than 24
months after completion of the study required under paragraph
(1), the Secretary, in consultation with the Secretary of Energy
and the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, by
regulation, shall determine in a rulemaking proceeding how to
implement a commercial medium- and heavy-duty on-highway vehicle
and work truck fuel efficiency improvement program designed to
achieve the maximum feasible improvement, and shall adopt and
implement appropriate test methods, measurement metrics, fuel
economy standards, and compliance and enforcement protocols that
are appropriate, cost-effective, and technologically feasible
for commercial medium- and heavy-duty on-highway vehicles and
work trucks. The Secretary may prescribe separate standards for
different classes of vehicles under this subsection.
``(3) Lead-time; regulatory stability.--The commercial
medium- and heavy-duty on-highway vehicle and work truck fuel
economy standard adopted pursuant to this subsection shall
provide not less than--

[[Page 121 STAT. 1501]]

``(A) 4 full model years of regulatory lead-time;
and
``(B) 3 full model years of regulatory stability.''.

Bill Summary & Status - 110th Congress (2007 - 2008) - H.R.6 - CRS Summary - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Directs the Secretary to study the fuel efficiency of work trucks and commercial medium-duty or heavy-duty on-highway vehicles to determine appropriate test procedures, methodologies, and metrics for measuring such efficiency.

Key element of the 2007 law...............

Known as the 10-10 law..........Which the EPA forced changes in 2011 to the trucking industry at large increases in cost.

In the Thomas Law Library..................shows a directive to perform a study and report the results.

I have included the applicable data in those two laws for all to see. They are from the GAO and the Thomas Law Library of Congress..................

So, please show me how this study automatically gives the EPA jurisdiction to create new laws when it is showing a study is to be performed............While it mandated car MPG standards it ordered a study on Heavy duty trucks......................

Are there laws after this that gave the President permission to pass EO's to enforce this study?

Supreme Court: Obama's minimum wage executive order unconstitutional - National Policy & Issues | Examiner.com

ast week, President Obama issued an executive order raising the minimum wage for federal contractors to $10.10 an hour. But the Supreme Court said that executive order is unconstitutional, the National Review reported Monday.

In the case of Youngstown Sheet and Tube Co. v. Sawyer, the court said &#8220;the President&#8217;s power, if any, to issue the [executive] order must stem either from an act of Congress or from the Constitution itself.&#8221;

Additionally, the court said, &#8220;when the president takes measures incompatible with the expressed or implied will of Congress, his power is at its lowest ebb, for then he can rely only upon his own constitutional powers minus any constitutional powers of Congress over the matter.&#8221;

In short, Peter Kirsanow wrote, the Constitution does not give Obama the authority to unilaterally set or change the minimum wage.

Proven Supreme Court ruling. The President can't increase minimum wage without Congressional consent.........That would include Federal Employees.................

Forum List

Back