Lets force Walmart, at gunpoint, to give $5/hour raise because we are so caring

. Third, that five dollar an hour raise is a better use of Walmart's profits than stock buybacks .

if so you need to get on board with your superior reasoning skills competing against the others with their own ideas. But I suspect your plan is to use to use govt violence to manage Walmart in its battle against Amazon and oh the remainder of the economy too. Stalin tried it. Ever read history?

I figure 1560 hours per year x 2.3 million =$18 billion. Enough to wipe out company and profits. Its liberal and Stalinist.

Dude, the math was already done. They would still turn a profit. You not got a calculator?

yes it comes to $19 billion, enough to bankrupt company and economy!!! Are you a communist?

What, at two thousand hours a year? Do you really thing the average employee works two thousand hours a year. Try it at a thousand and tell me what Walmart's profits were last year.

I figure 1560 hours per year x 2.3 million =$18 billion. Enough to wipe out company and profits. Its liberal and Stalinist.

Funny. Walmart's profit last quarter last year was 4.57 billion. Almost exactly an 18 billion dollar a year rate. Not exactly going to bankrupt them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/19/business/walmart-q4-earnings.html?_r=0

$5/hour for 2.3 million employees would just about bankrupt them. But hey they don't need cash anyway. Competiting against Amazon will be a breeze!!

I understand this much. I am a businessman. I have not seen a W2 this century. If I can invest a dollar and get more than a dollar back, I do it. Then I sort out the tax thing. In fact, like most investors, I am more concerned about the return of my dollar than the return on that dollar. Which speaks to that whole inverse relationship between the marginal tax rate and the cost of capital. I am more likely to make a risky investment if the government is willing to take a larger part of that risk. At a fifty percent tax rate the government takes on fifty percent of the loss. But at ten percent the government is only going to give me ten cents on the dollar.

great so the more we raise taxes the more the economy will boom!!! Is there another person on earth who agrees with you? Is this called the communist school of economics???

Yes, if taxes were one hundred percent the economy would grind to a halt. But I doubt government revenues would be spilling over if tax rates were zero. The Laffer curve is called a curve. Perhaps that is over your head as well.

nice try but for 5th time are you going to name the one idiot on earth who agrees with you that the more we raise taxes the more the economy will boom????? you said its fact but apparently its a fact that only you know. can I ask how old you are?
. As I stated here, in my opinion, higher tax rates can lead to more investment. After all, one way a person who owns a business (large or small) can reduce the taxes they pay on profits is to reinvest the profits, which in turn leads to faster economic expansion. Furthermore, the incentive to avoid taxes and reinvest increases as tax rates increase. Of course, at some point, tax rates get high enough to encourage individuals to reinvest even though the “benefits” from more reinvestment, at the margin, are negative. Where that happens, I don’t know, but based on Figure 1, my guess is that it takes a top marginal tax rate above 50%.

How Tax Rates Affect Investment and Consumption - A Look at the Data

dear, the govt could pass a law requiring at gun point that 50% or 100% of profits be invested but it does not do it because conservatives know liberal govt is far too stupid to know how much should be invested. Do you understand?

Where have I advocated the government pass any law pertaining to how much a company invests? I simply want to construct an environment in which those companies would VOLUNTARILY invest more money because it would be more PROFITABLE than sitting on cash and collecting rent.

Of course, it would be prudent to initiate any action with the elimination of company stock buybacks. Executive action could probably do it, run it through the SEC just like before. Taxing unearned income at a greater rate than earned income instead of lower would also be a good place to start. At least eliminate the capital gains tax, replace it by taxing it as income.

But at the core of any plan to spur economic growth has got to be something to initiate, or perhaps more importantly, FUND an expansion of demand.

I simply want to construct an environment

you mean you want to use a liberal gun at their head to force them to do what you as a standard libcommie think is best. Would you kill them if they didn't respond to your gentle encouragement?

it would be more PROFITABLE than sitting on cash and collecting rent.

great so we'd have a Nazi liberal with a gun deciding what was more profitable for all of America's businesses?? What about the free market deciding what is profitable rather than a libstalinist govt?

Of course, it would be prudent to initiate any action with the elimination of company stock buybacks. .

again at the point of a libNazi gun since business owners cant decide properly what to do with money they have earned.

FUND an expansion of demand.

In econ 101 you learn there are 2 choices: 1) hand out welfare so folks can churn the existing economy by demandiing more cheese doodles or, 2) supply more new Republican inventions to make our standard of living, wages and demand rise or expand.

Do you know which is better?

FUND an expansion of demand.

In econ 101 you learn there are 2 choices: 1) hand out welfare so folks can churn the existing economy by demandiing more cheese doodles or, 2) supply more new Republican inventions to make our standard of living, wages and demand rise or expand.

Do you know which is better?

You are delusional.

Look. I don't blame business owners. I mean why put your money at risk when the government is only willing to fund a third of any losses and you have to pay almost twice the tax rate of any investment income you can generate. Hell, even you conservatives know that if you tax something more than something else you are going to encourage the something else. We tax earned income more than unearned income, no wonder business owners would rather play in the stock market than actually do what they do best, create jobs. It is time to turn that equation around, encourage earned income, not unearned income.

But again, you ignore the demand problem. No business is going to create a product, expand their operations, or increase their output unless they believe they have an adequate market. It don't make a happy damn what the tax environment is like. More importantly, their customers need to be able to pay for that product. With incomes flat, credit markets tightening, and home values still not fully recovered, where is the funding going to come from?

It is time to turn that equation around, encourage earned income, not unearned income.

and at gunpoint too!!! This is a free country and lib commie govt has no business telling business people what to do a gun point with the money they earned peacefully. IF they earned it it means they know how to invest it. The govt objective should be to leave them alone so they are free to conduct business and not waste energy dodging taxes. Best to eliminate the business tax altogether. Do you understand?

Liberals would destroy Walmart just as Stalin destroyed soviet economy:

Walmart by the numbers:

Revenue $482 Billion
profit $14 Billion
$5 raise $11 billion
profit after raise $ 3

Cut retail profits by 80% and cause another liberal Great Depression tomorrow!! And lets never be tricked, this is but one of 10001 interventions a liberal will want because the liberal will lack the ability to understand capitalism!!

Wow. Amazing that Walmart could afford a five dollar raise for everyone and still turn a profit. So lets take a moment and look at the microeconomics of the five dollar raise. Quite literally, we are taking away eleven billion dollars from the stockholders and giving it to the workers. With our current economy, which would be better?

Obviously, with the eleven billion in the hands of the workers. More than likely, they would spend every single dime of that eleven billion. They would increase DEMAND. And DEMAND is what drives the economy. It is doubtful the stockholders would spend any of the eleven billion, let alone the majority. And nope, they wouldn't invest a penny of it either. What the hell are they going to invest it in, what could they produce without DEMAND.

So, they would SAVE it. Or worse, they would use it to SEEK RENTS. Both do not result in an expansion of the frontier curve. In fact, both result in the exact opposite, a CONTRACTION. As the economy shuffles money away from consumption to pay either the interest on the saved money, or the RENTS. The end result, the rich get richer and the rest of the population has to kick harder just to stay afloat.

The sad part, all this is covered by the time you get to Fall break in an intro Macroeconomics course. Or at least it used to be. Now, I guess the students spend that time reading Atlas Shrugged.

Demand on what?

Cocaine?

Weed?

Heroin?

Budlight instead of natural light?

More cheap shit made in china?

Look, I know this is hard but you can do it. So, we got 15 billion dollars every two years going to purchase already existing Walmart stock. The company takes 15 billion dollars in profits and purchases 15 billion dollars of their company stock and then BUILDS A BIG BONFIRE AND BURNS THE STOCK.

OK, now we are going to take that same 15 billion dollars and give it to the employees in the form of higher wages. Yep, they are going to buy more cocaine, and more pot, and more heroin after they take all the pain meds. Yep, they going to up their beer game from PBR to Sierra Nevada. They are going to buy more cheap shit from China, and more cars, and furniture, and appliances, and all kinds of SHIT. At least if someone decides to make or provide those things.

So tell me, which of those two scenarios do you think is better for the economy? Better yet, tell me which one has a possibility of providing more than 3% GDP growth. I will give you a hint. Walmart has been doing the stock buyback for almost four years, how's that growth been looking?

Don't try to spin it.. Again answer my question... Anyways Walmart already gave them a raise, this is not about Walmart this is about foolish liberal economics thinking a across the board nationally raising the MW to $15 bucks an hour is going to do anything good.. Except just trickle up poor.

Beating a quick retreat from the OP, which has Walmart in the title aren't we?

But again, you ignore the demand problem.

supply creates its own demand!! Do you understand?

What, in make believe land by the Big Rock Candy Mountain maybe. That is absurd. I don't care what kind of product you make, what kind of service you provide, or even how many people want that service or product, if your customer can't pay for it the product is going to sit on the shelf and the service ain't going to happen.

Now, you might be alluding to Say's Law, and I would be happy to explain to how it does not apply, not the least of which is the very tax environment I have already mentioned.

But I thought prices for stuff would skyrocket and there would be mass layoffs at Walmart with a minimum wage increase?

I guess JP Morgan is about to bust too. They upped their minimum pay as well
I think I've identified your problem. You missed the part where the MW increase has to be large and sudden. If you push it up a little at a time over a long period of time, the damage is done gradually enough that people don't really notice it. After a while, they start to realize that it's harder for teenagers to break into the job market than before, and they start to wonder, but then it's too late.

if your customer can't pay for it the product is going to sit on the shelf .

think back to the stone age so it will be simple enough for you to understand. If the first farmer's plow invented cost more than you could benefit by using it there would in effect have been no farmers plow invented. It is only when the new Republican invention is ingenious and affordable that we get a higher standard of living and higher wages. Got it now? We grew from the stone age to here because of affordable new Republican inventions, not because Democrats crippled people with welfare to create meaningless demand churn.

Last edited:
. After a while, they start to realize that it's harder for teenagers to break into the job market than before, and they start to wonder, but then it's too late.

exactly, before the minimum wage in the 1950's black teen unemployment was actually lower than white teen unemployment. Liberal policies amounted to a near genocide against blacks.

think back to the stone age so it will be simple enough for you to understand. If the first farmer's plow invented cost more than you could benefit by using it there would in effect have been no farmers plow invented. It is only when the new Republican invention is ingenious and affordable that we get a higher standard of living and higher wages. Got it now? We grew from the stone age to here because of affordable new Republican inventions, not because Democrats crippled people with welfare to create meaningless demand churn.

You are a complete waste of time. I told you all the great inventors were Georgist. Over your head. I told you Say's Law does not work in today's economy. You don't even know what Say's Law is. But what the hay, maybe give you one more shot. The topic is Walmart increasing their workers wages by five dollars. But let's cut that by half, and let's fund it by using the funds Walmart spends on stock buybacks yearly. They can afford it, the funding is already there. I claim that if the money is used to fund higher wages it would benefit the economy in the form of greater demand. Tell me, what does a stock buyback do for the economy? Does it generate demand? Hell, does it encourage supply? Just what the hell does it do other than suck money out of the economy?

[/QUOTE]

you brought this. I then explained to you what supply side economics is. You were embarrassed and tried to change the subject rather than learn about the essence of Republican capitalism so next time you can talk about it intelligently.

Forum List

Back