Left wingers and the wall.

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
Are there any left wingers here that will admit they don't actually care about whether or not the wall would impact illegal crossings, or even about the amount of money it might cost the nation? That's not what it's about. It's about not letting Trump get his way with anything. Admit it. You think he's a horrible person and you simply won't play nice with somebody like that.

Last edited:
No. It’s because his sea to sea wall is a dumb idea.

You must be thinking of Mitch McConnell not wanting Obama to succeed at anything.

Let me ask you this. If trump went after drug prices (like he promised), do you think the Dems wouldn’t vote for it ?

• Banned

The idea that a large modern wall will have no impact on illegal crossings is absurd. Will it stop them all? Obviously not, and it's not meant to. It's meant to mitigate the problem, and it absolutely would mitigate it. How much? I have no idea.

• Banned
Let me ask you this. If trump went after drug prices (like he promised), do you think the Dems wouldn’t vote for it ?

I really don't know anymore dude. I was amazed when the left turned itself into a pretzel to find reasons for why it no longer supports troop pullouts simply because they're facilitated by Trump.

Who here will admit that they don't actually care about whether or not the wall would impact illegal crossings, or even about the amount of money it might cost the nation? That's not what it's about. It's about not letting a president as offensive as Trump get his way with anything. Admit it. You think he's a horrible person and you simply won't play nice with somebody like that.
I didn't care about the wall until it became clear that Trump was appealing to the basest hatreds that people hold. Here was a man with absolutely no idea whether a wall would work or not, or be a total waste, and who couldn't care less. He only cared that he could use it to appeal to a bunch of simpletons with deeply held fear and hatred. Remember, this was his same approach to replacing the ACA and how did that end up? "Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated."

Should the day come a President that can be trusted comes forward and says "hey look, we actually do need a wall," then I may change my mind. Until then, I'll put my trust in better technology at the border, barriers where needed, placing more responsibility on employers to not hire illegals, and the like.

• Banned
Who here will admit that they don't actually care about whether or not the wall would impact illegal crossings, or even about the amount of money it might cost the nation? That's not what it's about. It's about not letting a president as offensive as Trump get his way with anything. Admit it. You think he's a horrible person and you simply won't play nice with somebody like that.
I didn't care about the wall until it became clear that Trump was appealing to the basest hatreds that people hold. Here was a man with absolutely no idea whether a wall would work or not, or be a total waste, and who couldn't care less. He only cared that he could use it to appeal to a bunch of simpletons with deeply held fear and hatred. Remember, this was his same approach to replacing the ACA and how did that end up? "Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated."

Should the day come a President that can be trusted comes forward and says "hey look, we actually do need a wall," then I may change my mind. Until then, I'll put my trust in better technology at the border, barriers where needed, placing more responsibility on employers to not hire illegals, and the like.

I wonder what Trump Republicans might be willing to negotiate for full wall funding. These are things the left never thinks about. "Oh, they want a wall? Well, maybe I could live with that. Will they trade us something?" No, instead it's never anything but destructive and divisive bullshit.

"NO COMPROMISES WITH NAZIS!!!"

Compromises were offered up, but rejected by the Dems, things they previously wanted.

I wonder what Trump Republicans might be willing to negotiate for full wall funding. These are things the left never thinks about. "Oh, they want a wall? Well, maybe I could live with that. Will they trade us something?" No, instead it's never anything but destructive and divisive bullshit.

Sure. defund Planned Parenthood, the Department of Education, cut wasteful social programs, university grants, and funding to public radio and television, convert all pensions of government employees to 401ks, eliminate all earmarks, eliminate Saturday mail delivery, make Congressional pay incentive-based, grant the President a line-item veto right, limit all new federal laws to 100 pages in length, establish a flat tax rate, and cut the funding to the UN and countries which aren't our allies.

Those alone would save enough to build a wall to the moon and back.

No doubt there is some hyperbole on this, as there is with pretty much everything that becomes political. Stick with your tribe, even if you have to bullshit. Attack, attack, attack. Don't give a fuckin' inch. If they want A, you want B.

I'd count as being against the wall - I'd like to do things differently - but I'm not losing any sleep over the outcome in either direction.

Last edited:

A wall is not that complicated and a desire to keep illegals, drug and human traffickers and gang members out of the country is not racist.

You must be thinking of Mitch McConnell not wanting Obama to succeed at anything.
I wouldn't call anything Obama managed to do a success.

Are there any left wingers here that will admit they don't actually care about whether or not the wall would impact illegal crossings, or even about the amount of money it might cost the nation? That's not what it's about. It's about not letting Trump get his way with anything. Admit it. You think he's a horrible person and you simply won't play nice with somebody like that.
I only admit that there is no express wall building clause in the Republican Doctrine but we do have a general welfare clause.

Sure. defund Planned Parenthood, the Department of Education, cut wasteful social programs, university grants, and funding to public radio and television, convert all pensions of government employees to 401ks, eliminate all earmarks, eliminate Saturday mail delivery, make Congressional pay incentive-based, grant the President a line-item veto right, limit all new federal laws to 100 pages in length, establish a flat tax rate, and cut the funding to the UN and countries which aren't our allies.

There ya have it folks.

Cut ANYTHING that helps middle class or poor people.

NEVER think about cutting corporate subsidies or our bloated military budget. Cause ya know///gummint contracts are big MONEYYYYY

Some good ideas, some very bad. The problems is that Dems would never stand for any of them.

Yes he is a horrible person. Let's put a pin in that.

The wall is too expensive, not effective, intrusive on private property and the environment.

But as much as those pragmatic reasons not to build it is the symbolism of walling off America. The one nation on earth created by immigrants. The nation people dream of when they imagine a better way of life.

Take into account that a vocal minority harbors a xenophobic attitude. Most Americans are cosmopolitan enough to understand that immigrants continue to enrich our land, culture and communities.

We offered the wall for the Dreamers. The right responded with “NO COMPROMISES WITH NAZIS!!!”

Forum List

Back