learning to use a gun is the new therapy for female victims of crime....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
What do you call someone who has been brutalized by a criminal......a potential new gun owner.....and women are starting to realize that if they really want to be safe...they have to take on their own self defense. The largest growth sector in gun ownership....women....

Firearms Training Is the New 'Therapy Session' for Female Crime Victims

While women are one of the fastest-growing gun-buying demographics in the country, their numbers in Detroit are growing so fast that a gun instructor in the city describes firearms training as the new “therapy session” for women who have been targets of crime.

The Detroit News reports that “self-defense” is the driving force behind the surge in female gun buyers. Firearms instructor Nneka Lawrence says some of the women who come in still have tears in their eyes from an attack or assault they suffered while unarmed.

Lawrence is a black woman who has been teaching firearms training courses for ten years. She teaches at Action Impact and says:

Our gun classes are like therapy session for these women.

Some of them come in crying because they have been attacked before, raped, or robbed. Others want to simply protect themselves. The two things that come up in our classes is home invasion or being carjacked.

The actual story from the Detroit News....

Bankole: Women flip the script on guns

Most of the women who were willing to be interviewed for this column have a common reason for showing up at Action Impact’s two stores for classes — both Southfield and East Point locations — and it has nothing to do with politics.

They are all looking for protection and to feel more safe when they are headed to work or are at home with their families. Some have seen their loved ones threatened with a gun, which changed their perception of safety. Because of that they don’t want to be a statistic in another gun violence incident.

For example, Nita Brown is 63 years old. She lives alone on the northwest side of Detroit at a time when seniors have repeatedly been victims of break-ins, sometimes leading to fatalities when police don’t arrive on time.

“I lost my husband last year after we were married for 36 years. Because I’m home now by myself and we see a lot of seniors who are being targeted in home invasions, I do want to take it upon myself to learn how to use a gun,” Brown said.

Felicia Gentry, 25, lives on the city’s east side and works at a General Motors plant. She says the condition of her neighborhood is her reason for taking the gun class.

“I live in a bad area near East Warren. It’s usually dark out when I go to work in the morning and when you call the cops they don’t come right away,” Gentry said. “Because my boyfriend works a midnight shift, we talked about me taking gun classes to protect myself when I leave at 6 a.m. to go work.”

Novi resident Briquell Welch, 28, who works as a print designer, said it was the fear of guns that led her to the shooting range.

“I have the ultimate fear of guns dating back to 1995 when my uncle was killed in Southfield. Now I need to protect myself and I don’t want to fear anymore,” Welch said.

My mother and my wife are both better marksmen than I ever was, especially my mother. Growing up on ranches made it normal for them and they weren't afraid of firearms. She worked in a rough part of town and always carried, legal or not; saved her twice from something very bad. The police back then looked the other way when it came to women carrying, so they didn't have to worry. I would think there are far fewer women who could be stable enough for that these days, though, so hopefully they have good trainers.

What do you call someone who has been brutalized by a criminal......a potential new gun owner.....and women are starting to realize that if they really want to be safe...they have to take on their own self defense. The largest growth sector in gun ownership....women....

Firearms Training Is the New 'Therapy Session' for Female Crime Victims

While women are one of the fastest-growing gun-buying demographics in the country, their numbers in Detroit are growing so fast that a gun instructor in the city describes firearms training as the new “therapy session” for women who have been targets of crime.

The Detroit News reports that “self-defense” is the driving force behind the surge in female gun buyers. Firearms instructor Nneka Lawrence says some of the women who come in still have tears in their eyes from an attack or assault they suffered while unarmed.

Lawrence is a black woman who has been teaching firearms training courses for ten years. She teaches at Action Impact and says:

Our gun classes are like therapy session for these women.

Some of them come in crying because they have been attacked before, raped, or robbed. Others want to simply protect themselves. The two things that come up in our classes is home invasion or being carjacked.

The actual story from the Detroit News....

Bankole: Women flip the script on guns

Most of the women who were willing to be interviewed for this column have a common reason for showing up at Action Impact’s two stores for classes — both Southfield and East Point locations — and it has nothing to do with politics.

They are all looking for protection and to feel more safe when they are headed to work or are at home with their families. Some have seen their loved ones threatened with a gun, which changed their perception of safety. Because of that they don’t want to be a statistic in another gun violence incident.

For example, Nita Brown is 63 years old. She lives alone on the northwest side of Detroit at a time when seniors have repeatedly been victims of break-ins, sometimes leading to fatalities when police don’t arrive on time.

“I lost my husband last year after we were married for 36 years. Because I’m home now by myself and we see a lot of seniors who are being targeted in home invasions, I do want to take it upon myself to learn how to use a gun,” Brown said.

Felicia Gentry, 25, lives on the city’s east side and works at a General Motors plant. She says the condition of her neighborhood is her reason for taking the gun class.

“I live in a bad area near East Warren. It’s usually dark out when I go to work in the morning and when you call the cops they don’t come right away,” Gentry said. “Because my boyfriend works a midnight shift, we talked about me taking gun classes to protect myself when I leave at 6 a.m. to go work.”

Novi resident Briquell Welch, 28, who works as a print designer, said it was the fear of guns that led her to the shooting range.

“I have the ultimate fear of guns dating back to 1995 when my uncle was killed in Southfield. Now I need to protect myself and I don’t want to fear anymore,” Welch said.

American women will more and more need to arm themselves, considering the types of people obama has brought to this country (muslims), to prey on them. Luckily we still have a 2nd Amendment in this country, unlike those countries of Europe where women are being brutalized by refugees. Luckily clinton is consigned to the garbage can of history, since she would have been worse than obama in ruining this country.

Forum List

Back