Leading GOP Candidate a Cult Member!

So says Pastor Jeffers, head of the 1st Baptist Church of Dallas and head of Evangelical Christians USA on CNN today.
He said Mormomism is a cult. Then he said, politically supporting Romney is giving validity to a cult.
He ended saying that if someone doesn't embrace Christianity the way his group / denomination does, they are not really Christians.

Republicans are an interesting lot...

Most religions say their way is the only way. Nothing new here, been that way for thousands of years.

By the way I bet their are one or two christian democrats somewhere in this world :cuckoo:

I'm sure there are millions. Not sure why you think they'd be crazy for being both Christian and Dem though.
Unless that's for me, for specifying the GOP. In which case, you caught the fact that the pastor was at a GOP event, speaking about GOP candidates, right?
Also, I don't recall Dems using their religion as a platform or the other party candidates religion as a basis of attack. That is almost exclusively a GOP tactic.

:lol: No... The DNC just Campaigns in Churches. Good One!

I don't recall you demonstrating 'independent logic' but you claim it anyway. Go figure.

Um yeah ooh impressive. I don't hesitate to criticize ConservaRepublitarians any more than I do Obama or Dems. But because I don't agree with the whackjobs on everything.... I'm a Liberal or "not Independent". :lol:

Funny, I don't recall you addressing the topic here. On on a few other threads where all you have to say is "Oooh, you criticized MY side this time! I'm gonna whine about how you must not be Indenpendent!!!"
It's okay. Stick with the petty bs and avoid the topics. It's what you have to work with.

What topic? Some idiotic pastor says something about 'cults'. So fucking what? You care. OK. I don't. I am, however, interested in your understanding of the word 'logic'.

Twit.

He doesn't care about the Campaign, the Pastor, or Romney. He just wants to Bitch.

Mormons' own alot of what is valuable out here in the far west.
And most are fair people to do business with.
Accusations of 'cult' is all the opposition has got. That glove doesn't fit, so you gotta acquit!!!

You guys do know that Pastor Jeffers introduced Rick Perry at the Value Voters Summit in DC? Jeffers made these statements before and Perry still picked him to do the intro. Tony Perkins was just on CNN and refused to deny that Mormonism is a cult.

You guys do know that Pastor Jeffers introduced Rick Perry at the Value Voters Summit in DC? Jeffers made these statements before and Perry still picked him to do the intro. Tony Perkins was just on CNN and refused to deny that Mormonism is a cult.

Who fucking cares?

Seriously, dont we have real issues and currently elected politicians to worry about rather than what some nobody thinks?

Where was this concern and outrage when Obama was introduced mob style at a union organized campaign stop? "Lets take those son's a bitches out"

This hypocrisy is nuts

Um yeah ooh impressive. I don't hesitate to criticize ConservaRepublitarians any more than I do Obama or Dems. But because I don't agree with the whackjobs on everything.... I'm a Liberal or "not Independent". :lol:

Funny, I don't recall you addressing the topic here. On on a few other threads where all you have to say is "Oooh, you criticized MY side this time! I'm gonna whine about how you must not be Indenpendent!!!"
It's okay. Stick with the petty bs and avoid the topics. It's what you have to work with.

What topic? Some idiotic pastor says something about 'cults'. So fucking what? You care. OK. I don't. I am, however, interested in your understanding of the word 'logic'.

Twit.

He doesn't care about the Campaign, the Pastor, or Romney. He just wants to Bitch.

Without wishing to stereotype Baptists, I've met a lot of them who think they are waaay better than everyone else just because they're Baptists. I've met a lot of Mormons too... never found them to be half as judgmental as the Baptists.

Who fucking cares?

Seriously, dont we have real issues and currently elected politicians to worry about rather than what some nobody thinks?

Where was this concern and outrage when Obama was introduced mob style at a union organized campaign stop? "Lets take those son's a bitches out"

This hypocrisy is nuts

Well Romney's son cares. In 2008 after Romney lost the nomination his son said it was due to southern republicans views on Mormonism.

So says Pastor Jeffers, head of the 1st Baptist Church of Dallas and head of Evangelical Christians USA on CNN today.
He said Mormomism is a cult. Then he said, politically supporting Romney is giving validity to a cult.
He ended saying that if someone doesn't embrace Christianity the way his group / denomination does, they are not really Christians.

Republicans are an interesting lot...

I guess your religion has to have been invented more than 300 years ago before it qualifies as a real religion.

Baptists mocking Mormons is like the face painted guy at the football game mocking the guy with the giant foam finger.

Considering that the Guy's at the Ball Park may have an excuse, being a bit drunk, it's actually worse. Religion is a matter of Conscience, not popularity or style, or flavor of the Week. I trully don't know of any, that would approve of Mocking.

I do, and it still makes him an idiot.

If you want to start a thread about how this makes Perry look bad, feel free. I might even join in if you do a good job, if you can prove that you did not defend Obama after sitting under Jeremiah Wright for 20 years.

Knowing you, that last is impossible.

Well technically EVERY religion is a cult.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has been around since the 1830's and has MILLIONS of members across the planet. It is not a cult.

I define the difference between a religion and a cult as how much control it tries to exert over its membership.

In Mormonism, you have requirements to wear special undergarments, requirements to send your kids off on missionary work, requirements to tithe, requirements to spout off your testimony on demand. If that isn't a cult, I'm not sure what is.

But I use a simpler yardstick. If you leave Mormonism, your relatives and friends are required to shun you. When I left Catholicism 30 years ago, none of my friends or relatives shunned me or even questioned my decision.

I define the difference between a religion and a cult as how much control it tries to exert over its membership.

In Mormonism, you have requirements to wear special undergarments, requirements to send your kids off on missionary work, requirements to tithe, requirements to spout off your testimony on demand. If that isn't a cult, I'm not sure what is.

But I use a simpler yardstick. If you leave Mormonism, your relatives and friends are required to shun you. When I left Catholicism 30 years ago, none of my friends or relatives shunned me or even questioned my decision.

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints.

As a member of the church you are not "required" to do anything. In fact, a closer look at the doctrine of the church would show you that free agency is a cornerstone to the teachings of the church.

Over half of the church membership (on the roles) is "inactive" (don't do any of the things you describe and don't attend church).

I personally do the things I do within the church, such as tithe, because I have a strong belief in it's purpose. If I quit tithing, I would not lose my membership.

The shunning you describe is more a cultural problem. In fact, church leaders have often decried this as wrong. They also get after the Utah mormons for being such cliques.

Having said that , Romney's membership in the church is going to be an issue if he is nominated and the church is going to catch it during the campaign.

Recall that Romney got crosswise with Mike Huckabee over MH's comments about his religion during the 2008 primary.

And when Romney ran against Ted Kennedy for the Mass Senate, the church's position on blacks and the priesthood became a key attack point of Kennedy's campaign (Romney facing a black president is going to be a very polarizing situation).

And then there is the church's position on gay marriage. Regardless of what Romney may or not may say, he will be tied to the church's pretty strong stand on marriage.

I don't look forward to all the myths that will fly, but if Romney is the best man for the job, then I guess it is just what will have to be dealt with.

Most religions say their way is the only way. Nothing new here, been that way for thousands of years.

By the way I bet their are one or two christian democrats somewhere in this world :cuckoo:

I'm sure there are millions. Not sure why you think they'd be crazy for being both Christian and Dem though.
Unless that's for me, for specifying the GOP. In which case, you caught the fact that the pastor was at a GOP event, speaking about GOP candidates, right?
Also, I don't recall Dems using their religion as a platform or the other party candidates religion as a basis of attack. That is almost exclusively a GOP tactic.

Really? How old are you? Do a little research on Catholic John Kennedy running for president. :eusa_whistle:

Jack Kennedy ran on a Catholic platform? I don't recall him using his religion as a means to get into the White House. I seem to remember that there was a big uproar from the WASP types because Kennedy was a Catholic ... and we couldn't have a Catholic in the White House now could we.

Forum List

Back