Leadership

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
1629912746546.png

“There is a difference between being a leader and being a boss. Both are based on authority. A boss demands blind obedience; a leader earns his authority through understanding and trust.” ~ Klaus Balkenhol

“When the leader lacks confidence, the followers lack commitment.” ~ John C. Maxwell

A cowardly leader is the most dangerous of men. ~ Stephen King

“You do not lead by hitting people over the head – that’s assault, not leadership.” ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

“A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.” ~ John Maxwell

“When you were made a leader you weren’t given a crown, you were given the responsibility to bring out the best in others.” ~ Jack Welch

“Earn your leadership every day.” ~ Michael Jordan

“The quality of a leader is reflected in the standards they set for themselves.” ~ Ray Kroc

“What you do has far greater impact than what you say.” – Stephen Covey, author and educator

“Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you’re in control, they’re in control.” – Tom Landry, former Dallas Cowboys coach

“In periods where there is no leadership, society stands still. Progress occurs when courageous, skillful leaders seize the opportunity to change things for the better.” – Harry Truman, former U.S. President

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.” – President Abraham Lincoln, former U.S. President

“All of the great leaders have had one characteristic in common: it was the willingness to confront unequivocally the major anxiety of their people in their time. This, and not much else, is the essence of leadership.” – John Kenneth Galbraith, economist and diplomat

No one follows a stupid leader. Leaders are supposed to be right more than they are wrong. Maybe only the really stupid follow stupid leaders?

Its only a natural reaction to complain when things dont turn out the way you envisioned.

It may be natural, it doesn't make it right. I could complain that my partner isn't blonde and beautiful the way I envisioned ... but, I can't very well blame the brunettes.

We elect the same people, over and over, in both parties, and still expect things to change with every election.

Our own actions are the reasons for our fates, not those we follow.

It may be natural, it doesn't make it right. I could complain that my partner isn't blonde and beautiful the way I envisioned ... but, I can't very well blame the brunettes.

We elect the same people, over and over, in both parties, and still expect things to change with every election.

Our own actions are the reasons for our fates, not those we follow.
But "right" is simple a subjective opinion used in that context. Someone else could feel you have every right to blame brunettes. When you are given a standard instead of forming your own you wind up electing the same people over and over.

I don't doubt there always will be. The question was, does their always need to be?
Yes there does need to be leaders. Leaders hold positions of authority which creates accountability. The absence of accountability creates chaos, which only ends when leaders step up. What comes of that is usually tyrannical, better to find a way to allow for both freedom and accountability.

When you are given a standard instead of forming your own you wind up electing the same people over and over.

Now you're getting to the crux of the issue. WHO, precisely, is providing you with the standard?

When does it become necessary to question the standard?

Now you're getting to the crux of the issue. WHO, precisely, is providing you with the standard?
That depends. My grandpa used to say to me all the time that common sense is only common to the people that you know that share the same belief system. Who ever you look to for validation and acceptance usually determines how you go about accepting a leader.

Forum List

Back